宁

"kidneys failing to grasp the qi" TCM

Part of breathing. The lungs take in the air, it descends and the kidneys "grasp" the qi of the air at the bottom portion of the inhale. The kidneys assist in taking in a breath, and absorb some of the qi from that breath.

• Like 3

That's about all I've got. :)

There's more in the various books on Chinese medical theory, herbs, and acupuncture. Readings on various breathing difficulties, including asthma for instance. Also on general five element theory. Bob Flaws wrote a great little book Statements of Fact in TCM with pith statements.

• Like 2

Someone close to me, an elderly person, is suffering from shortness of breath and exhaustion. Thinking of buying some Cordiceps, it alegedly improves this condition.

The first mention of the 'kidneys failing to graps the qi' just rang a bell for some reason. I'll study more into it.

Edited by 宁

Someone close to me, an elderly person, is suffering from shortness of breath and exhaustion. Thinking of buying some Cordiceps, it alegedly improves this condition.

The first mention of the 'kidneys failing to graps the qi' just rang a bell for some reason. I'll study more into it.

Sensible possibility.

And cordecyps is a pretty safe herb. It tonifys both yin and yang, so it is balanced, and it has a slight anti-microbial effect.

• Like 2

IMHO garlic is the best to warm lung-kidneys relationship. There is a reason why the best season for garlic consumption is autumn-winter. (Metal melting to water relationship).

• Like 4

With elderly people, old habits are sometimes quite stubborn, but it's never too late to start abdominal breathing. Chances are, the problem is less the kidneys not grasping the qi and more the lungs aren't able to send it downward because, as JB indicates, they're hitting a stone wall where there should be a diaphragm.

One really common and effective way to start somebody on the path of deep breathing (meaning from a deeper center in the body, not necessarily "more"), is to have them lie on their back with a medium-sized book on their belly, right over the navel. The first task is to push the book upward gently, and allow it to fall slowly. This simple exercise in itself automatically bring the mind's focus to the lower regions of the body, and increases body awareness.

The next step is to begin gently associating the inhale with the lifting and the exhale with the lowering of the book.

• Like 4