fluidity

Regenerating knee ligaments & cartilage

Are there any ways to regenerate the entire ACL when it is completely torn? The meniscus cartilage tissue too?

I believe there must be some natural way of getting them to completely regrow once more. Does anybody know any? I would be eternally grateful!

Are there any ways to regenerate the entire ACL when it is completely torn? The meniscus cartilage tissue too?

I believe there must be some natural way of getting them to completely regrow once more. Does anybody know any? I would be eternally grateful!

But are you asking specifically for some kind of Qi Gong, TCM, etc method? Or do scientific/Western medicine methods count as well?

I don't know of any Qi Gong/TCM/etc method.

I'm not an expert on that, but there are scientific/Western methods:

For ligaments there is some kind of method using artificially introduced "scaffolds" which make it possible for the ligament to regenerate on their basis.

For meniscus there is some kind of stem cell treatment.

Asking for any known methods of healing that can completely regenerate ligament/cartilage irrespective of damage to within reason. I would think that some time along the millenia that the Taoists or others might have found a way to regenerate bone. Seeing as how common ACL injuries are!

Spotless: My ACL is torn completely, and meniscus isn't looking pretty, let's put it that way. I'm holding off the surgery for the time being.

Qigong helped with the swelling and locking issues. I would imagine for some reason that there must be a way to activate the body's natural healing force to regenerate the area. The issue is with lack of bloodflow to that region. Perhaps there is a chi-based technique that could trigger regrowth?

Edited by fluidity

Hi I am physical therapist. An ACL which is completly torn can't regenerate because the two tips don't touch together.

It can regenerate if it is partial.

That said, you don't always need surgery, especially if you don't practice sport at high level.

It depends on the stability of your knee.

Asking for any known methods of healing that can completely regenerate ligament/cartilage irrespective of damage to within reason. I would think that some time along the millenia that the Taoists or others might have found a way to regenerate bone. Seeing as how common ACL injuries are!

That's a quite logical assumption and it might be true, but unfortunately even if they did, I don't think such knowledge is available today, or at least publically. :(

Spotless: My ACL is torn completely, and meniscus isn't looking pretty, let's put it that way. I'm holding off the surgery for the time being.

For the meniscus, it can be regenerated using stem cells, but I don't know how experimental and costly such therapy would be.

Still: http://stemcellarts.com/repair-knee-meniscus-tear-without-surgery/

Qigong helped with the swelling and locking issues. I would imagine for some reason that there must be a way to activate the body's natural healing force to regenerate the area. The issue is with lack of bloodflow to that region. Perhaps there is a chi-based technique that could trigger regrowth?

What kind of Qi Gong did you use for the swelling and locking?

Asking for any known methods of healing that can completely regenerate ligament/cartilage irrespective of damage to within reason. I would think that some time along the millenia that the Taoists or others might have found a way to regenerate bone. Seeing as how common ACL injuries are?

Modern people sit in chairs and are quadriceps dominant (ACL antagonist) and hamstrings (ACL agonist) are unbalanced, weak, and or inflexible, so it probably was less common until last 100 years.

• Like 1

You have probably done due diligence on your research but here is a relatively thorough link - read all the way to the bottom as it gives alternative outside this country and probably quite cheap by comparison to our silly USA pricing: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anatomy-of-an-injury-acl-tear.html

I will also try to film some good Qi Gong exercises for this and send them to you - unfortunately if you have completely severed the ACL I am not sure they will do the trick.

Are you in much pain in the inner knee joint?

Where do you live?

If you live in the Bay Area of San Francisco then I know someone you should see.

Edited by Spotless

"Although most animals can make vitamin C from scratch, humans have lost the ability over the course of evolution. We must get it from food, chiefly fresh fruits and vegetables. One of this vitamin's main functions is helping the body manufacture collagen, a key protein in our connective tissues, cartilage, and tendons."

http://surgery.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21522

You also need lecithin in order to generate new cells as they make up the cell membranes and also surrounds the joints and brain to protect them. Egg yolk, peanuts, and seeds, are good sources.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

No amount of magical or wistful thinking is going to heal a knee problem (or any physical problem for that matter). A torn ACL will require surgery. Cartilage tissue heals poorly (it doesn't have a blood supply) and a severe meniscus tear will also require surgery.

I agree that you will need a repair initially. That's my opinion, and it's very true.

Dr. John Lee had good results with people gaining bone mass through the use of topical progesterone, which is available over the counter at your local health food store (progest, or emerita cream, by "transitions for health", for example). I would think that it would also be efficacious in the restoration of a ligament that was surgically reunited. 1/4 teaspoon once a day, for men, anywhere that blood circulates near the surface of the skin. No side effects in the physician's desk reference. Also apparently good for the prostate, and a prophylaxis against cancer: see the review of Dr. Lee's "Hormone Balance for Men",here.

Edited by Mark Foote