stefos

Citti Patti.....Guardian OR a type of Samantabhadra/Samantabadhri?

Hi everyone,

I found this interesting Thangka of Citti Patti:

A male & female skeleton standing on a lotus looking at one another.

I immediately thought...Wow, this is very poignant and beautiful.

Could someone please assist me in understanding Citti Patti's role in Vajrayana?

I can't find much about the pair.

Thank you! :)

Stefos

Citipati (Lords of the Cemetery)

sglossarycitipati.jpgIn Tibetan Buddhism, the Citipati, or “Lords of the Cemetery” are two mythological Buddhist ascetics, who were so deep in their meditation, they were caught unawares by a thief and beheaded even before they knew they were dead. As a symbol, the Chittipati represent the eternal dance of death, and perfect awareness.

They are usually depicted as a male/female pair of intertwined skeletons caught up in an ecstatic dance. The dance of the Citipati is commemorated twice annually in Tibet with ritual dances. The Citipati are invoked as ‘wrathful deities,’ benevolent protectors who appear as fierce beings with a demonic appearance.

glossarycitipati.jpg

The Chitipati, or Charnel Lords

Related Symbols:

sghanta.jpgsphurba.jpgsglossaryreaper.jpg

• Like 2

Citipati (Lords of the Cemetery)

sglossarycitipati.jpgIn Tibetan Buddhism, the Citipati, or “Lords of the Cemetery” are two mythological Buddhist ascetics, who were so deep in their meditation, they were caught unawares by a thief and beheaded even before they knew they were dead. As a symbol, the Chittipati represent the eternal dance of death, and perfect awareness.

They are usually depicted as a male/female pair of intertwined skeletons caught up in an ecstatic dance. The dance of the Citipati is commemorated twice annually in Tibet with ritual dances. The Citipati are invoked as ‘wrathful deities,’ benevolent protectors who appear as fierce beings with a demonic appearance.

glossarycitipati.jpg

The Chitipati, or Charnel Lords

Related Symbols:

sghanta.jpgsphurba.jpgsglossaryreaper.jpg

Hi C.T. ,

Thank you for responding in kind.

So then, Are the Citipatti associated with any Tibetan Buddhist school or just a type of Tibetan archetype/symbol?

Thanks,

Stefos

Edit: I just found out that Citipati are a manifestation of Mahakala, the general protector of the Kagyu school from which I received tantric teachings.

Edited by stefos

Hi C.T. ,

Thank you for responding in kind.

So then, Are the Citipatti associated with any Tibetan Buddhist school or just a type of Tibetan archetype/symbol?

Thanks,

Stefos

No problem at all.

Its symbolic, and acknowledged as part of the fabric of Tibetan spiritual heritage, in which sacred dance, as you may already know, forms a significant part of that heritage. These dances, called Cham, are traditionally part of the Monlam Prayer Festival.

Citipati are Dharma protectors for those engaged in Heruka and Vajrayogini tantric sadhanas. The skeletal forms symbolise freedom from self-cherishing.

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

Also known as Kinkara - associated with Mother Tantra.

"The dancing, grinning skeletons ... express a dynamic vision of death and change, viewed as an estatic dance of transformation, unchanging inner essence transcending the constant mutations of externals. Meditation on the impermanence of all phenomena should lead to a joyful freedom from attachment, and not to a morbid pessimism." [Taken from 'The Crystal and the Way of Light'.]

• Like 2

Also known as Kinkara - associated with Mother Tantra.

"The dancing, grinning skeletons ... express a dynamic vision of death and change, viewed as an estatic dance of transformation, unchanging inner essence transcending the constant mutations of externals. Meditation on the impermanence of all phenomena should lead to a joyful freedom from attachment, and not to a morbid pessimism." [Taken from 'The Crystal and the Way of Light'.]

Hi Rex,

Now THAT was a cool post.

Thank you sir.

Jesus loves you...he really does..... read The Gospel of John

Stefos

Hi Rex,

Now THAT was a cool post.

Thank you sir.

Jesus loves you...he really does..... read The Gospel of John

Stefos

You're welcome Stefos! Thanks for the reminder :)