Owledge

Atheism as a religion

I read a slogan like "[...]is the gateway to reality" and I think of a religious sect, maybe not unlike a slogan of some taoist sect I read some time ago.

Religion after all is to a good degree a search for meaning and purpose in life and the human experience, and in organized form, people sometimes claim to hold the keys to enlightenment in order to gain power and influence over others.

Well, I could confirm that the Twitter/Tumblr site I found is not a parody. It calls itself "Atheist Power" and its slogan is "Atheism is the gateway to reality."

(Please don't look it up, you'd only be tempted to comment, and arguing about religion with fanatics is futile, haha.)

This is one more example of the irony enusing when people fanatically fight something while being just like that which they oppose. ... Because what they oppose is in the same league, a direct competitor to their beliefs.

The result of overly analytical instead of synthetic mindset.

I think it's like what artists get when they work for too long on the same piece. They lose the ability to recognize whether there is anything wrong. They get professional blindness.

Analysis works best in tandem with synthesis, not in an extreme, because otherwise the process loses its purpose and becomes a self-serving circle-jerk.

And thus, you have confused people searching for purpose in the abandonment of purpose.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 4

No, Atheism is NOT a religion.

What you are talking about is the effort some put into convincing others that they and their view is the correct view. We see that every day. No only from Atheists but from people of all different forms of belief systems.

Edit to add:

And Bill is one of those who argue the loudest, trying to convince the world that his view is the right view. And yes, he argues his understanding just as loudly as the most extreme religious folks do.

Edited by Marblehead

I think atheism is not a religion but Atheism is.

;)

But I almost always use a cap "A" when typing Atheism as it is a proper name.

Sure, I understand what you are saying but that doesn't mean I agree with you.

Let's see, pages and pages of videos on the topic

Ah! This one seems funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTL-P2V8xKk

That smugness and lavishing in his conformant audience. Spoils all the attempted humor for me.

When calling atheism a religion, I don't go by what Bill Maher chooses to pick in order to support his line of reasoning.

There's the Wikipedia definition

"A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.[note 1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe. From their beliefs about the cosmos and human nature, people derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle."

and that can be correlated with the original meaning of the word, meaning re-connecting. But it is best to take it as the multi-faceted word that it is and try to get the message behind the statement instead of harnessing one's 'superior mind power' to wield a certain definition.

I think the whole polar 'conflict' between radical atheists and radical theists, like other conflicts of that nature emerging in recent times, is showing a crisis of imbalance. Fear-based minds are creating an environment of separation, and those separated poles cannot exist properly without each other, but when they are still living the problem, they will naturally see the other pole as the cause for their grievances.

I'd say the driving force behind the atheist side of this conflict can be identified or summed up as "hubris". That thing that makes so many people today still believe that animals are like mindless zombies or machines unaware of themselves and having no emotions. It is a culture of separating oneself from everything else, and that leads to lack of empathy.

Conflict atheism is as much about giving away power and authority to others as is conflict theism.

So what I wanted to point out with the idea of atheism as a religion is the similarity in issues of people on both sides.

BTW Maher ridiculing the idea that the belief in man-made global warming is not a religion (again - context) either indicates the unwavering faith-based belief in the politically tainted doctrines put forth by the establishment. And this is part of the problem with that kind of atheism: They automatically see themselves as crusaders of science and will believe anything that has that authoritative label on it. In a way, people of that belief could be called, in the original sense of the word, a gnostic sect. Atheist gnosis. Because an agnostic wouldn't be so sure about those doctrines.

(I recently witnessed Steven Colbert act like the biggest asshole, divider and mass-following zealot when he mocked people who don't believe in MMGW and tried to attack them with his mighty peer pressure.)

I think what is often derogatively and inaccurately called "liberalist" or "progressive" by some people is talking about that side of the imbalance - that smug attitude that surprisingly often in a clichéed way brings together several problematic ideologies.

Contrary to the misconception (that I myself had when I was less enlightened) you can totally be a theist and a scientist. Because, as should be apparent, as long as you don't entertain the hubris of trying to prove or disprove the existence of God, but focus on the practical, observable phenomena, you can make a very good contribution to scientific endeavors.

Hell, if what happens in quantum physics doesn't ring an alarm bell for people, I don't know what. People seem to be surprisingly comfortable observing something mindboggling and unexplainable and say the 'unexplainable particles' did it and that's it. Another victory for science®.

The much older and thus well-developed scientific methods and findings in Taoism are an example of how to practice things in balance. Non-exclusive nature-observation and exploration and lots of philosophy in the mix.

Without going into too much detail here (I might blog about it), I think the opposing duality in the meaning of the word "philosophy" is a symptom of the problem. Science can make good use of philosophy in its original sense - as the search for wisdom. But wisdom is a more advanced thing than 'knowledge'. "A philosophy" is usually referring to a rigid mindset, an idea of how things are, a convenient belief in order to avoid being honest to oneself.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

I think atheism is not a religion but Atheism is.

;)

Very nice. You noticed the several occurences of its capitalization. Picking up subtle but meaningful clues. Those are all symptoms that speak a much clearer language than the syntax of what people say.

But I almost always use a cap "A" when typing Atheism as it is a proper name.

Sure, I understand what you are saying but that doesn't mean I agree with you.

Nothing about it is a proper name. It translates as "no God-belief". You could just as well capitalize "philosophy".

• Like 1

Superb, Owledge! I think you've nailed it in this thread.

And in so few words, haha.

Oh, I do. Taoist Philosophy is always cap "T" and "P".

You'd love the German language. ^^

WE are not done yet. And besides, you have only one person agreeing with you.

Huge success for me, lol.

Also: I have a trampolining pink pony in my sig. Your argument is invalid.

Edited by Owledge

You'd love the German language. ^^

I used to be conversationally fluent in German and could read at about second grade level. I tried reading Nietzsche directly from the German and that was a gross failure. (He actually made up a lot of his own words in order to express his philosophical concepts.

Huge success for me, lol.

Also: I have a trampolining pink pony in my sig. Your argument is invalid.

Hehehe. Yeah, ponies count too.

Ah!, my argument is still valid. I may be wrong but I reserve the right to be wrong.

Ah!, my argument is still valid. I may be wrong but I reserve the right to be wrong.

Wrong!

• Like 1

Let's break this down

DJ, SPIN IT

"A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.[note 1]

Atheism is a lack of belief and is outside any system. Atheism is also the default position of every living person. Ex: Every baby born is an atheist.

Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe.

As the default position, atheism doesn't have any of these. Explanations for existence and such stories are learned with age and some people keep their atheist stance as the evidence becomes insufficient, or revert back to atheism when new information is learned

From their beliefs about the cosmos and human nature, people derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle."

Atheism doesn't make any statements about the cosmos, human nature, morality, ethics, or lifestyles.

Atheism simply states, " I don't believe in god."

Everything else is learned, even the arrogance, or whatever bothers you

• Like 1

Hey!, just a thought: If I "Like" a post and then "Unlike" it would that be the same as saying I don't like it after having thought about it?

• Like 1

Atheism is a lack of belief and is outside any system. Atheism is also the default position of every living person. Ex: Every baby born is an atheist.

Atheism is the "rejection of belief in the existence of deities"

A baby is born not believing in anything; it is not born rejecting any beliefs

Babies could, I think, then be thought of as freethinkers. Or just babies.

As the default position, atheism doesn't have any of these. Explanations for existence and such stories are learned with age and some people keep their atheist stance as the evidence becomes insufficient, or revert back to atheism when new information is learned

Atheism doesn't make any statements about the cosmos, human nature, morality, ethics, or lifestyles.

Atheism simply states, " I don't believe in god."

Everything else is learned, even the arrogance, or whatever bothers you

The arrogance of atheists is learned just as our rejection of belief in gods. Yes, "our" rejection -- I'm an atheist, I suppose.

I am not, however, an Atheist. Bill Maher kindly illustrates what it is to be an Atheist in that video. In short, I see an Atheist as someone who hates everything that is not a rejection of belief in gods. The vitriol and sanctimoniousness of some Atheists is astounding.

I don't know about definitions, but militant atheists can be every bit as annoying and pedantic as any fundamentalist. Infact, your militant atheist who has a chip on there shoulder and wants to remove all religion from everyone is sharing in the dark side of fundamentalism.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

Bill is just an extremist. Yes, he is an Atheist as well.

Yes, the simple definition of Atheist is the rejection of a belief in gods or anything supernatural.

But it is also a way of life. The rejection spills over to many other aspects of our life.

I think it can be said that religions are learned but Atheism is not. If we are not inspired to think of the possibility of the existence of gods it is likely we would not think upon the concept. (But I may be wrong.)

I am perpetually bemused by people who loudly proclaim their belief that they have no beliefs.

;)

• Like 3

I think it can be said that religions are learned but Atheism is not. If we are not inspired to think of the possibility of the existence of gods it is likely we would not think upon the concept. (But I may be wrong.)

But not having thought of it or been exposed to it, one cannot reject it.

My tea cup doesn't believe in anything, as far as I know. I wouldn't call it an atheist.

An atheist by definition believes that there is no God. By calling oneself atheist, one is asserting a positive disbelief, which itself is a belief. Otherwise, one would do better to call oneself agnostic or freethinker, or any number of other terms...

• Like 2