Sign in to follow this  
C T

Noah Levine - Amazing Buddhist Punk!

Even he is doing that soft spoken not use your full voice thing all the dharma (here locally) folks do, what is up with that? I really am curious.

Even he is doing that soft spoken not use your full voice thing all the dharma (here locally) folks do, what is up with that? I really am curious.

:D I have noticed that as well... something peculiar to Western teachers. Some of my friends who are Dharma teachers have this demeanour about them, a sort of softer outlook on life probably derived from working with the heartmind over a long period.

:D I have noticed that as well... something peculiar to Western teachers. Some of my friends who are Dharma teachers have this demeanour about them, a sort of softer outlook on life probably derived from working with the heartmind over a long period.

Here it is also every single attendee, and I do mean each and every last one, who talks in soft tones!

My TCM friend equates it to spleen deficiency ROFL.

Anyways, interesting video. What I liked best about it is that the audience full of people are looking up to him, not judging h im and accepting him as a person and practitioner. You have noooo idea how much people discriminate against those with tattoos!

Here it is also every single attendee, and I do mean each and every last one, who talks in soft tones!

Anyways, interesting video. What I liked best about it is that the audience full of people are looking up to him, not judging h im and accepting him as a person and practitioner. You have noooo idea how much people discriminate against those with tattoos!

Have you read his bio? Very interesting life experiences indeed. A true dharma warrior.

• Like 1

soft spoken? my teacher lit a cigarette within the first hour of meeting him and started cussing in every sentence hehehehe

• Like 2

soft spoken? my teacher lit a cigarette within the first hour of meeting him and started cussing in every sentence hehehehe

:D How is the above to be understood? Was it your teacher meeting Noah, or you meeting your teacher? Who lit a cigarette, you, your teacher, or Noah? And who started cussing?? :P

Edited by C T

:D How is the above to be understood? Was it your teacher meeting Noah, or you meeting your teacher? Who lit a cigarette, you, your teacher, or Noah? And who started cussing?? :P

Oh it was just me and my teacher meeting for the first time after exchanging some emails haha. For the record though: he lit the cigarette and started cussing first

Oh it was just me and my teacher meeting for the first time after exchanging some emails haha. For the record though: he lit the cigarette and started cussing first

Lol! Sounds really down to earth.

It can indicate an over-development of mindfulness practices, especially if it coincides with slowed physical movements and delayed reaction times. Its somewhat common amongst long-time meditators. Technically its an aberration, although it is often just a stepping stone from natural unconsciousness to natural consciousness.

Its like driving your car with a foot on the gas and a foot on the brakes at the same time. Usually people who practice movement arts like qigong and taichi tend to bypass this issue.

• Like 1

Oh. OK. I will just have to invite them all out to Bagua class in that case :D.

Or a bit of the hanky panky, nudge nudge...

• Like 1

This guy teaches in my town and i have watched a couple of his videos but i have never heard him say anything i haven't already heard yet, or say the things i have heard in a new, thought provoking way

idk, i may go check him out someday just for kicks

Perhaps its because you have disengaged your sense of wonderment, heh? :P;)

(i read your post in the other thread about unhealthy clinging to fantastical images, words, etc!! lol.. )

Want my honest opinion? He places too much emphasis on his story/self image and every time i hear someone talking about him its always "OMG AMAZING Noah Levine!"

Its easy to arrive at buddhist conclusions when you gobble up LSD for years, its just that he wrote a book about it so i guess in some peoples eyes that makes him special

though he does teach for free, so i give him some respect for that

Better that than people going, OMG not him again.

Not sure i understand what you mean by arriving at buddhist conclusions and its relation to gobbling up lsd for years. Care to expand a bit on that?

Edited by C T

Not much to say except there is validity to the 3 truths of suffering, impermanence and no self and psychedelics make that information obvious to a majority of users

im not really saying "omg not him", more saying that he is simply one of many people who arrive at spirituality through drugs and a lot of those people don't bother to write books about their life story

its just my personal preference to learn from people who put their selves aside to teach. time spent reading about his story is time wasted that you could have spent examining the present moment

Ah yes, thank you for the explanation. :)

I have found with Buddhist stuff, it is ALL stuff I have heard before, many many times. Somehow though some of the amazing teachers manage to, say it again, but in a way that brings me deeper. Pretty awesome :).

It's entirely possible that Noah is also a little tired of people just talking about how he's a "punk rocker", instead of just focusing on the teachings... What people want though is image. Hey as long as it spreads teachings well. Personally though I prefer the Tibetan old folks LOL.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this