Sign in to follow this  
NotVoid

'Fairy Circles' - patterns in nature

cool :-)

The fields behind my house are covered in (fungal) fairy rings. All that's visible is a dark grass circle. The fungi change something (ph?) in the soil that makes the grass grow darker. The rings are always about 3 meters in diameter.

The fields behind my house are covered in (fungal) fairy rings. All that's visible is a dark grass circle. The fungi change something (ph?) in the soil that makes the grass grow darker. The rings are always about 3 meters in diameter.

no. not fungal, fairy.

You're just not waking up early enough

to catch them flying aroun doin there thing :closedeyes:

• Like 2

So I take it these rings eventually grow large enough, until more plants are able to start growing back in the middle, then go on to make their own circles, like an oscillating ripple? I hope it is down to self organizing systems, and not the result of termites and/or fungus.

Awesome.

i have seen amanita muscaria grow in fairy rings :)

Fliegenpilz, haha! Just don't eat them. Many mushrooms grow in rings because that's how the mother organism develops underground.

In the news story I referenced, they actually go into a lot of detail about the different theories different scientists have come up with to try to explain these unusual circle formations, but apparently none of the theories have stood up to full scientific examination, or simply can not be backed up with sufficient supporting evidence. It apparently still is not solved. However, that is besides the point. :) I mainly just thought it was interesting in regards to the very regular pattern they create over a large semi desert region. Apparently nothing ever grows inside a circle once it is formed, and the circles never overlap, and are very evenly spaced apart right across that whole region.

Edited by NotVoid

:wub: Of course, they are far better dried and made into a shot of tea. i try to not over harvest, of course

I wouldn't touch them, thank you very much. But whatever floats your boat :)

(A friend of a friend is basically a vegetable today because of some really dumb experimentation with them)

cool :-)

They grow in 9 foot circles... I see :D.

• Like 2

Two things sparked my interest here;

~ Namibia has a very dark history ... some of my work mates went there to work on Mad Max ... ohh, probably No 6 or something ?Aside from dragging around the desert in insane gigantic vehicles , helicopters and all that shit, they came back with some photos and stories.

It has a nasty neo-nazi undercurrent, left over from WWII .... it was a bit of a hideout apparently and no-one was ever bought to account there ( some of the film crew nearly got into a turf war with a gang headed by Herman Goering's grand nephew ( a relationship he traded on there apparently) ... some of the stories were insane ... the photos of their accommodation (glass floors with scenes set below them of various types of Sth African landscapes ... a line of ridiculous mansions along the beach front, behind them an old natzi bult rail line and sand .... thats it! ) Anyway, the rest is too crazy to repeat here - no one would believe it. The point is, my friend got taken by his driver (who he started paying himself, after he realised how little the film company was paying him -a native Namibian of course) to the 'real' skeleton coast ( the known skeleton coast is sand from the coast to 100s km inland - get shipwrecked there and you will end up as a skeleton there) ... this was a dessert , stretching into thee distance with thousands and thousands of human bones sticking out of the sand . It was the site of a 'mass genocide' .

Also he went to another part; all white sand covered with strange dark rocks. he took some and showed them to me. I couldnt believe it, they all looked like stone hand tools and implements, smoothed down by a long time in windblown sand. he said there were thousands all over the sand.

I also saw some photos of mining operations (from a banned entry area) ... VERY strange !

I wouldnt be surprised what was under the ground there !

Occasionally we get a fairy ring here ... once, in a clearer part of my bamboo grove a really large one in a weird distorted shape ... it nearly made a giant yin yang shape ... I though, one more day and its really going to look like it ... but when I went out to look it had all broken down into a sticky decaying goo :wacko:

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this