Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Moon Magic, lunar phases, festivals, mythology, etc

So the traditional thing in India with eclipses and new moons is to not be outside and to not travel, and to be a bit hunkered down... don't start any huge new projects etc.

But practicing is said to be extra auspicious.

Interestingly, in India new moons are when people get a bit crazy, not the full moons. Full moons and new moons are the times of the most spiritual progress but also of the most worldly blockages and sexual contact isn't recommended. The energy of a full/new moon lasts a day on either side of the exact date. Full moons are considered generally more auspicious than new moons.

I'm sure there are lots of other views out there from different traditions... let me know if you know any cool ones.

No traditions but an anecdote

My partner works security at the local emergency department and there are more admissions around the full moon. Friday/Saturday nights on a full moon are always flat out.

She also WORKS in the Secure Mental Health Facility :) and the patients in there are also more problematic around the full moon.

The definitive new moon hexing book is New Moon Astrology by Jan Spiller

Obviously as a witch the moon is pretty important to me! :rolleyes:

Witch,

That looks like a great book. Is there a handbook like that out there for the full moon?

Yoda

It was only two hundred years ago in the UK that crimes commited on the full moon would get a more lenient sentence.

The Full Moon make me restless.

Im not trying to say anything romantic or exotic here,it just pisses me off. :angry: I CANNOT sleep under these conditions.

Thank god for a bedside lamp & a well stocked library !

At least for me, new moons are for hexing, full moons are for drawing down energy. I also find that right after the full moon has passed (like within fifteen minutes of the exact time) is a good time for celebration. I know some witches work with full moon and waning moon and dark moon energy, but I'm not that handy with it. Dark moon is the best time for astral travel.

I CANNOT sleep under these conditions.

Have you tried moonbathing or at least spending a few minutes outside?

I'm just trying to get my thoughts around this. I think FM and NMs are an absolutely great time for extra practice and special practices, even though they are more challenging to be around emotionally.

I'm just trying to get my thoughts around this. I think FM and NMs are an absolutely great time for extra practice and special practices, even though they are more challenging to be around emotionally.

I love to go for walks at night, especially during full moon. It has such a different energy than walking during the day. Plus I like to see what all the wildlife is up to (and I don't mean the people who hang out in bars).

V.

I love to go for walks at night, especially during full moon. It has such a different energy than walking during the day. Plus I like to see what all the wildlife is up to (and I don't mean the people who hang out in bars).

V.

Yeah thats a great time to take a walk in the woods - the initial - slightly eerie aspect adds an edge that actually deepens my sense of contentmant when I get past it while walking and listening...

Sitting quietly under a tree anytime is basic to my well-being...

Enjoy!

This transit seems very auspicious to me as it nearly coincides with the Hebrew New Year...I do feel a new beginning blossoming for me ...(Soon)-

Edited by Wayfarer64

The next/coming full moon is a taoist holiday, Lady Moon's birthday. Lady Moon lives in a palace of fragrant (cinnamon?) wood, with an Alchemical Rabbit for her sole companion and servant. The rabbit grinds the elixir of immortality with a mortar and pestle. Lady Moon grants a secret wish once a year, on her birthday, if you meditate on the moon and tell her about it sincerely, from the heart.

TM: any links or book refs for the entire myth / story? Sounds charming thank you for sharing. -Spectrum

It was only two hundred years ago in the UK that crimes commited on the full moon would get a more lenient sentence.

Wow! Would this also be valid if the crime was planned many days earlier? :lol:

Great story about Lady Moon! It looked like the August Moon was Lady Moon from the article... did I misread that?

HI,

Here's a LINK if anyone's interested to a little recent podcast talking about health effects of the full moon, specifically the moon festival moon, by Master Dong Yang. It's toward the bottom of the page. :)

--CC

Sign in to follow this