ValleyStream

Hexagram 56- Sojourning

This hexagram has multiple interpretations and applications. Any insight to personal interpretations is more than welcome!

70px-Iching-hexagram-56.svg.png #56

"Sojourning", other variations include "the wanderer" and "traveling".

• Like 2

<< my avatar ^_^

fire on the mountain

"Strange lands and separation are the wanderer's lot. When a man is a wanderer and stranger, he should not be gruff nor overbearing. He has no large circle of acquaintances, therefore he should not give himself airs. He must be cautious and reserved; in this way he protects himself from evil."

The fire's always moving, always at risk of burning out. And the mountain might represent the division between strange lands, too, though personally I see its stillness (the perfect yin to the fire's yang) as a permanence that the traveller is trying to either find, or get away from. Or both.

Though I haven't studied the I Ching, and don't understand most of the hexagrams, having been a "wanderer" for the last decade, this one speaks to me a little more than the others.

• Like 3

谷溪 may I ask why you jumped to this one in particular? 1, 2...56! It has some significance to you too?

• Like 1

For a month or so I kept noticing these "Fire on the Mountain" fliers floating around downtown. Then one morning the creator of this micro-brew hot-sauce company wandered into my kitchen with a bottle. Good stuff. Think he was about to wander off to Colorado for a few months. Talk about Fire on the Mountain..... :D

• Like 2

谷溪 may I ask why you jumped to this one in particular? 1, 2...56! It has some significance to you too?

I came across this one when casting today and thought that it was a particularly interesting hexagram.

I did not intend on posting the hexagrams in sequential order. I started with the paired 1&2 in order to establish a basis of understanding to branch out to all the others. Nah'mean? ;)

• Like 1

Any insight to personal interpretations is more than welcome!

For me, the hexagram is a reminder that my life is a long journey with many stops along the way. I can look back and see from a distance the stops in the past that at the time caused me stress. I'd rather forget some of them, but, here I am, regardless of or due to those bumps in my path (and some of my bumps have been mountains). The important thing is recognizing that I didn't stayed mired in any of those sumps. And whatever problem I'm having now, in the future, there I'll be, regardless of or due to the current "catastrophe". Lu is movement through time (Fire) and space (Mountain). It's the movement that counts.

So, in general, Lu has a soothing effect on me. It's a spiritual picker-upper.

But that's just the first impression. The changing lines color the image and bring it close to the issue at hand. And then the future hexagram usually adds quite a bit to ponder.

What were your changing lines?

• Like 2

What were your changing lines?

First yin, 3rd yang, 5th yin ( I think i can call them that XD, what do you call each yin/yang?)

basically it changed into #25 which translates to Wu Wang, "innocence", "fidelity" or "the unexpected".

'''''''''''''

'''''''''''''

'''''''''''''

''''' '''''

''''' '''''

'''''''''''''

The Wanderer is an interesting archetype which plays a role not only in Eastern (especially Daoist) but also in Western philosophical traditions. For example in the Tarot, The Fool could be said to be the "Tarot Bum." In this regard, I just found this interesting website... to my surprise, it actually links The Fool to hexagram 56!!!

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/occultgeneticcode/tarot00.HTM

• Like 1