Sign in to follow this  
idiot_stimpy

Freedom, the way out...

Is in doing nothing.

You know I'm not going to buy that.

One cannot "do nothing".

"do" implies action.

And even if one tried that, what would one have? A life that is meaningless. To just vegetate and feel life has no meaning. Just cause for a pity party, I think.

Freedom, to me, means that we are at liberty to follow our naturalness. To live spontaneously. And most importantly, I think, is to have an image of one's self worth.

We were born, therefore we should live until we die.

• Like 3

I agree with you. When we are not trying to do anything we are still doing 'something'. Just that 'something' is living spontaneously.

Edited by idiot_stimpy
  • Like 1

Any proposition that has duality as a basis is limited in terms of its function to embody genuine freedom.

For example:

Freedom is a desire-based concept created by a mind that sees itself trapped.

The Way Out is a fear-based concept derived from feelings of insecurity and lack of options.

Doing Nothing is an anger-based concept arising from a grasping nature.

Better to meditate on the ephemeral nature of existence, the unpredictably of death, and be on constant guard of one's state of mind in the event that death were to suddenly occur. This helps greatly in discriminating between actual freedom and delusional, self-pacifying ideas of what freedom is.

• Like 2

Any proposition that has duality as a basis is limited in terms of its function to embody genuine freedom.

For example:

Freedom is a desire-based concept created by a mind that sees itself trapped.

The Way Out is a fear-based concept derived from feelings of insecurity and lack of options.

Doing Nothing is an anger-based concept arising from a grasping nature.

Better to meditate on the ephemeral nature of existence, the unpredictably of death, and be on constant guard of one's state of mind in the event that death were to suddenly occur. This helps greatly in discriminating between actual freedom and delusional, self-pacifying ideas of what freedom is.

You win.

• Like 2

Hehehe. Yeah, it's always better to meditate.

But I don't agree with the thought of meditating on the unpredictability of death. Eventual death is a given. Rather, meditate on living carefully so the death does not arrive before its proper time.

• Like 2

To try to find a way out reinforces the sense of being trapped. To seek out happiness causes the misery we try to escape from. How easily I forget these truths and do the exact things which cause the problems I try to find the solution to, its almost as if I want to be caged, to be unhappy and have problems.

• Like 2

"Shouldn't at least there be some desire to find the truth?"

be prepared to encounter a heck of alot of irony

• Like 3

Hehehe. Yeah, it's always better to meditate.

But I don't agree with the thought of meditating on the unpredictability of death. Eventual death is a given. Rather, meditate on living carefully so the death does not arrive before its proper time.

If one is constantly aware of fire hazards, one would naturally conduct oneself more meticulously around fire.

Meditating on living carefully presupposes the sort of attitude that a long life is assured. The truth is, nobody knows for sure when death can happen. Its a reality we must be respectful of in order to live fully. If this respect is absent, then a surge of clinging will occur at death's threshold. The implications of this surge, compounded by layers of confusion, can be quite unpleasant.

The busyness of living causes a few to overlook how fragile and changeable life can be.

In letting go, we learn to die first so as to make peace with life;

in grasping, we are attempting to hedge our bets against the unpredictably of death.

The choice is there.

• Like 3

The choice is there.

I actually agree with you from your point of view.

But then, I think I am already beyond death (Taoist concept) so I don't concern myself with those thoughts anymore.

And I will continue to be careful so that I don't expire early.

and then there is also paradox...anyone read "What the Tortoise said to Achilles" ?

on a star trek episode they brought up infinite regression,,,

postmodernists came up with their idea about the search of truth and now into the global age

truth is ever /even farther removed.

the ancients perhaps knew truth but where does one find an ancient to ask,

and im not referring to our materialist mh ! even if he did say he never squandered his youth searching for truth.

wise choice mh made

• Like 1

Would you elucidate in your own words? Your own understanding? Thanks.

Thanks for the challenge. Hehehe.

The historical "me" is dead. That is to say that the person I was in my younger years no longer exists. And I'm not suggesting that this is a bad thing. It's just that my days of conquering are finished. I did what I needed to do and when the job was finished I retired.

No, I didn't die. But the need to live died and released me to be able to live a new life, one of retirement, one of living spontaneously, one of not needing to impress anyone.

I don't know what physical death would be like. I kinda' think that it will just be another retirement. Of course, I really don't know as I have never died physically yet. At least, as far as I know.

Thing is, if we have reasons to live we are all wrapped up in those reasons and they prevent us from living spontaneously. At least, that's my thought at the moment. If we have no reasons to live then we can live for ourself and not solely for others.

I'm done at the moment. I'm not going to proof read what I have said because I will likely want to change some of the things I said and I shouldn't do that as I wouldn't be honest if I did.

I have no problem talking about stuff like this so if you or anyone else wants to go further with this I will be here.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 3

Edward Enfield calls retirement ...

" The Declining Years."

and goes on to say...

" because I can now decline to do what I had to do when I was working."

In this excellent book......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Old-Age-Survive-Edward-Enfield/dp/1840247762/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412286752&sr=1-1&keywords=old+age+and+how+to+survive+it

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this