Sign in to follow this  
C T

Noticed anything strange lately?

This year, when the time came for spiders to show up, i have found them to be especially big. I don't recall seeing them this big before. Saw a couple of them around the house, and went, "Hmm...".

Some wild plants are beginning to flower now when they shouldn't be.

Friends have reported catching fish this summer that should not be in Irish waters. Trigger fish, for example.

Anyone else seen or heard anything out-of-ordinary in nature this year?

Completely bonkers year as far as nature goes. I'm talking about cultivated plants and vegetables mostly, nothing grew or matured as per normal.

• Like 1

Only about 10x the usual growth for herbs and plants that I use. Also some lasting way past their season, or having an odd second late season that they don't usually. And the ladybugs keep looking a little more unhealthy each year :(.

Last year some Aboriginals were talking about some of the trees flowering at the wrong time "When this one flowers, we can go and catch bream at .... but , now it is flowering and if go all the way there to go fishing the fish wont be there - wrong time." It isnt all the plants just certain species.

Winters are getting progressively warmer here, much less winter heavy frost than the past.

Wow, pretty f'in' crazy impressive to hear similar stories from all over the world. (To put it in purely scientific terms...) I'm in So.CA and it's been a little like, "huh?" weather for quite a number of years. Different things. Like a dance that has a mis-step here or there, occasionally.

"When in years, months and days the season has no yi, the hundred cereals ripen, the administration is enlightened, talented men of the people are distinguished, the house is peaceful and at ease. When in days, months and years the season has yi, the hundred cereals do not ripen, the administration is dark and unenlightened, talented men of the people are in petty positions, the house is not at peace." -- Shu Jing, Book of Documents.

The "yi" here is that of the Yi Jing (I Ching) -- signifying irregular, out-of-sync, unpredictable changes, unlike the regular, orderly, harmonious changes of the seasons of tao.

"We have yi when things are off track, when chaos irrupts into our life and the usual bearings no longer suffice for orientation." -- The Eranos I Ching

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys! :)

Forgot to mention the weather... can't believe how warm it is -- 19 degrees this time of the year is a precedent.

Plus, a marked decrease in rainfall - Ireland used to be called 'rainy island', but this year, more dry days than rainy ones.

In some ways, its reassuring to know that others are also observing irregular stuff.

Those spiders, incredibly big this year. And so many! And one of my apple trees has been blossoming this month.

Whats the weather like in Holland? Typical for the time of year, or noticeably untypical?

Lots of baby version of these:

Gafanhoto.jpg

... in the house for some reason and yes enormous spiders!!!!

• Like 1

Lots of baby version of these:

Gafanhoto.jpg

... in the house for some reason and yes enormous spiders!!!!

Locusts or grasshoppers? Thats one insect i've yet to see here (in Ireland). I wonder why that is, seeing that Portugal is not that distant from here.

Have been on the lookout for daddy long legs, MIA so far... whereas in previous years the place would be inundated with them by now. :blink:

Whats the weather like in Holland? Typical for the time of year, or noticeably untypical?

It's warm, and has been for some weeks now. Way warmer then usual.

Bit of an Indian summer here.

Still shirt sleeve weather in the day time.

Cracking second show of roses. Almost as many as the first flush.

Gardens look a treat round here.

The weather's due to change to something more season-appropriate here by this weekend, according to the Met Office.

Been a good year for spiders.

The big ones are females.

If you don't like them in the house put a horse chestnut ( conkers) on each indoors windowsill.

Conkers are on the trees right now.

Spiders will move out.

Edited by GrandmasterP

sunspots.jpg

vs

984.gif

the big planets are in a retarding configuration with respect to the solar tides, and that affects sunspot cycle.

we are in a long double peaked waning cycle. one hemisphere peaked a while ago but the other hemisphere hasnt.

when the resonance of the larger planets advances rather than degrades the sun's motion about the barycenter of the solar system, the increase leads to stronger solar cycles. what we are experiencing is the opposite - when the field strength is insufficient, no sunspots are produced below the threshold.

this was why people actually heard of the ongoing phenomena of the polar vortex these past couple years. it always exists but since the sun had that extreme funk in 2009, it cause the upper atmosphere to pull back (and think of how that impacts rotational dynamics, a wane/loss of input, shrink, tighten spin, and then we see inertia from the rest of the atmosphere give it that wobble that made it alternating very cold here/warmer in russia last couple years, you could see how the weather was going to be from where the wobble in the polar vortex was going.

its an electromagnetic universe, after all :D (and ironically another aspect of climate model failure)

• Like 5

Yes, fairly large spiders right now. Webs popped up the other day.

As a side: I'm glad for the spiders -- there has been a swarm of daddy long-legs in the house the past week or so. Can't stand them. Yesterday I saw one fly into a spider's web in my bedroom, and watched as the spider proceeded to catch it and wrap it up in the corner... good spider.

Edited by dustybeijing

around here, more lesser seen wildlife than any other year I can remember. foxes, bears particularly. and that elusive cat, not sure what species it is. large enough that it would probably go after most dogs, but not quite so large as to have the hubris to go after a(n adult) human.

i am too pleased that all the large spiders are showing up across the pond and not here locally.

i think its been gradually been developing the past three years here,

but this year it is , even more so, i think Nature is striking back at us humans

and showing the nature of nature, however weird, frightening, beautiful, unlikely, enchanting, irrational

that it is. here it has been weather wise a very cool year in my neck of the woods

and i hear that elsewhere it continues to heat up.

bumper crop here herb wise and not that many taking advantage of it

• Like 3

Well, I was meditating on the weekend and a bird fell from the sky with a broken neck... :blink:

maybe it broke its neck from impact.

Were you outdoors, or indoors, looking out?

You never know whats falling from the skies these days....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27298939

I thought so, but it was struggling all the way down - fell in the middle of a 3 lane hwy.

I was in my car on the side of the road, eyes closed in meditation - then hear "something is wrong" - opened my eyes and saw it fall from nowhere, struggling, and hit the road.

• Like 1

Just read some reports of people here being bitten by the poisonous false widow spider, something unheard of in the past. Whats even more alarming is a recent report of a Cork (Ireland) man who died after a red-back spider bit him. Apparently, this spider is native to Australia!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/toxic-spider-bite-killed-irishman-at-his-home-30522871.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/i-was-unconscious-got-the-shakes-and-started-frothing-at-the-mouth-30628906.html

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/343118/False-widow-alert-Millions-of-KILLER-spiders-on-loose-across-UK

Edited by C T

Sign in to follow this