Sign in to follow this  
Anoesjka

Nasal cycle

Another post http://thetaobums.com/topic/36465-nose-chakra/ reminded me of the following: recently since about a year I don't have a nasal cycle anymore. I breathe equally through both nostrils, throughout the day and the night. I used to have a nasal cycle of approximately 4 hours, after which the dominant nostril switched.

I'd really like to know if there are more deviant breathers out here and if it's to be considered pathological. :blink:

Edited by Anoesjka

I used to have that cycle as well... no more, not for the last two years or so.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I suspect there are many more here on TTB.

Can I ask you a question though? Do you ever get a cold nowadays? When I think I get a cold, it's gone in a couple of hours.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I suspect there are many more here on TTB.

Can I ask you a question though? Do you ever get a cold nowadays? When I think I get a cold, it's gone in a couple of hours.

I haven't had a cold in several years.

Oddly though, I have had allergies to the plants out east of us and whenever the Santa Ana winds blow from that direction, I would get severely blocked up for days. In the last couple years when they come, I feel the allergies, I sneeze some, but my nose stays very open and clear. I attribute it to daily Qi Gong for years, but I don't know for certain.

I am now just getting over a bacterial infection in my lungs, aka walking pneumonia that I've had for over a month.

I was dumbfounded when the Dr told me that is what it was...

I had no runny nose, no fever, no coughing, the only symptom was pain in my shoulders and throat when I inhaled fully. Annoying but like I said, I'd been working and living with it for about a month with no detriment.

The fact that this pain was persistent was what drove me in to the Dr finally. He was surprised that I had no other symptoms, but he just shrugged and wrote me a scrip for anti-bio's.

But the nasal passages remaining open is huge for me. It's been a big improvement in my quality of life, as before, I would frequently have only one nostril open at any given time, cold or no cold, for many years it was like this and it would oscillate throughout the day. I never noticed a discernible pattern, but I wasn't looking.

Its a prerequisite for cultivating the energy body. There are specific practices to make it happen, but I think its best to let it occur naturally, as you have done. Eventually, this kind of unified nasal breath takes on other qualities as well... as in, the experience of the breath itself changes and has much more depth to it. But that doesnt happen until your third nostril opens.

But that doesnt happen until your third nostril opens.

I never heard of that, I almost feel like you're pulling my leg on this one. Is it the thing where your tongue curls backward and up?

I am now just getting over a bacterial infection in my lungs, aka walking pneumonia that I've had for over a month.

I was dumbfounded when the Dr told me that is what it was...

I had no runny nose, no fever, no coughing, the only symptom was pain in my shoulders and throat when I inhaled fully. Annoying but like I said, I'd been working and living with it for about a month with no detriment.

I hope you're feeling better now!

Thanks.

I'm happily at full lung capacity again with no pain.

The experience certainly has driven home to me very viscerally, just how absolutely crucial breath is and how much it impacts the states of consciousness.

I'm really looking forward to being able to do qigong again, going to try tonight. It's been a while...

• Like 1

Its a prerequisite for cultivating the energy body. There are specific practices to make it happen, but I think its best to let it occur naturally, as you have done. Eventually, this kind of unified nasal breath takes on other qualities as well... as in, the experience of the breath itself changes and has much more depth to it. But that doesnt happen until your third nostril opens.

Could you please tell me a bit about the 3rd nostril part? I'm very intrigued. to say the least.

Could you please tell me a bit about the 3rd nostril part? I'm very intrigued. to say the least.

its sorta a joke, sorta not.. kinda like "feet glands"

it is possible to "extract" more from the air than common breathing, when it happens you will notice the difference accordingly

it has to do with circulating prana through the sushumna (central channel) to the anja and sahasrara

its sorta a joke, sorta not.. kinda like "feet glands"

it is possible to "extract" more from the air than common breathing, when it happens you will notice the difference accordingly

it has to do with circulating prana through the sushumna (central channel) to the anja and sahasrara

I already suspected such, nevertheless had to ask :)

I got interested about that third nostril too!

It feels like it is at the back of the sinus and goes straight into the brain 'somewhere' (under the eyes and 'under' the 'overhang' of the frontal lobes ... not directly INTO the brain as such, but a space there. And it feels like the 'brain' can breathe the air from 'there' directly and unrelated to the bloodstream.

I dont feel that when I block both nostrils and breathe thorough the mouth.

I wonder if this has anything to do with it ? " Because only thin shelves of bone separate the sphenoidal sinuses from the nasal cavities below and hypophyseal fossa above, thepituitary gland can be surgically approached through the roof of the nasal cavities by first passing through the anterioinferior aspect of the sphenoid bone and into the sinuses, followed by entry through the top of the sphenoid bone into the hypophyseal fossa." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphenoidal_sinus

I never heard of that, I almost feel like you're pulling my leg on this one. Is it the thing where your tongue curls backward and up?

sphenoid sinus ;) but be gentle, use it too forcefully and it'll locally hyperoxygenate and give you a headache.

but central is very key - think of the bands of diaphragm tendon that merge with the anterior longitudinal ligament of the spine, pull that all the way down to the dantien.

but lets take a quick step back...

the waxing energy at the niwan is neurologically connected to the sinuses - so when the olfactory nerve is attenuated enough that it switches it mode of operation (the tone is no longer excitatory when the habit energy is sufficiently established to not trigger stimulation in an ongoing manner of meditative breath) and the "point" "opens" - for me whenever I bring about the protocols of meditation, after the settling occurs, I bring the focus to the center (takes longer to let it naturally happen, or I can use hands and mudra to make it happen close to on command) and the energy automatically rises from lower dt to upper dt, upper brims over as the sinuses relax and dump whatever's clinging and then the rest of the body experiences a balancing of energies also.

when the sinuses receive that downstream energizing, what room for the dust to settle?

of course, you still have to be careful of other things...I had my first "cold" since 07 earlier this year, but that was because I didnt stop to think that there was leaded paint in the door I was cutting a hole in (with no mask)....ugh, that was not fun, it took me weeks to unclog myself from that.

but as its coming up on the colder season, definitely a good time to put this to practice just a bit more so as to be good and strengthened heading into the winter, fortified again colds :)

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypophysial_fossa#mediaviewer/File:Hypophysial_fossa_-_animation01.gif

Hmmm .... the sensation I am feeling could be a cooling effect of the air in ? It isnt so prominent on the out breath through the nose.

- Brain 'air-conditioning' ?

You're aware that there's a mudra practiced by yogi's, whereby the tongue goes into the nasal cavity to stimulate a very sensitive point there that brings instant bliss? Some people even remove part of their tongue to be able to do that.

Too weird for me, though.

sphenoid sinus ;) but be gentle, use it too forcefully and it'll locally hyperoxygenate and give you a headache.

but central is very key - think of the bands of diaphragm tendon that merge with the anterior longitudinal ligament of the spine, pull that all the way down to the dantien.

but lets take a quick step back...

the waxing energy at the niwan is neurologically connected to the sinuses - so when the olfactory nerve is attenuated enough that it switches it mode of operation (the tone is no longer excitatory when the habit energy is sufficiently established to not trigger stimulation in an ongoing manner of meditative breath) and the "point" "opens" - for me whenever I bring about the protocols of meditation, after the settling occurs, I bring the focus to the center (takes longer to let it naturally happen, or I can use hands and mudra to make it happen close to on command) and the energy automatically rises from lower dt to upper dt, upper brims over as the sinuses relax and dump whatever's clinging and then the rest of the body experiences a balancing of energies also.

when the sinuses receive that downstream energizing, what room for the dust to settle?

of course, you still have to be careful of other things...I had my first "cold" since 07 earlier this year, but that was because I didnt stop to think that there was leaded paint in the door I was cutting a hole in (with no mask)....ugh, that was not fun, it took me weeks to unclog myself from that.

but as its coming up on the colder season, definitely a good time to put this to practice just a bit more so as to be good and strengthened heading into the winter, fortified again colds :)

Incredible things happening to people, I would have never believed things like that existed before. But I've experienced enough to know that it probably can be done. Still strange, when you think of it (but thinking destroys all that)

Sign in to follow this