stefos

Bihar School of Yoga....Any experiences anyone?

Hi everyone,

I was contemplating on attending the Bihar School of Yoga in Cleveland, Ohio.....Actually moving there and going through the school which takes a total of 3/4 years.

The Bihar school of Yoga is unique in that the founder Swami Satyandanda Saraswati's primary thrust was Advaita Vedanta, not yoga (Hatha or otherwise).

Swami Satyananda Saraswati however was also a great siddha I found out and knew Tantra as well.

It seems that he was part of the Dashnami order of Sanyasis who go around teaching, not stuck in a monastery all day.

Has anyone had experience with this school?

Does anyone here live in Cleveland?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stefos1

P.S. I have my B.S. degree & my A.S. degrees so now I really want to be in a spiritual environment, per se. Not like the body isn't spiritual however I hope you catch my drift.

Thanks again! :)

OM AH HUM

Hi Stefos,

I'm interested in the Bihar school also. They seem to have the most complete curriculum, and are not just focused on the physical postures. The books that I've read by Swami Satyananda and their other authors are great. There is a Swami Brahmavidyananda from the Bihar School in Miami that I've studied with a few times, but he said that he's retired from doing teacher training. I'm thinking about going up to Cleveland for the Yogic Studies 1 course in 2015 (two weeks on-site and 40 weeks of distance learning with a mentor). You have to take the Yogic Studies before the teacher training. I haven't been to Cleveland before, so can't help you with that. You might want to visit for a shorter workshop first before making that commitment. Good luck.

Edited by Dainin

Hi Stefos,

I'm interested in the Bihar school also. They seem to have the most complete curriculum, and are not just focused on the physical postures. The books that I've read by Swami Satyananda and their other authors are great. There is a Swami Brahmavidyananda from the Bihar School in Miami that I've studied with a few times, but he said that he's retired from doing teacher training. I'm thinking about going up to Cleveland for the Yogic Studies 1 course in 2015 (two weeks on-site and 40 weeks of distance learning with a mentor). You have to take the Yogic Studies before the teacher training. I haven't been to Cleveland before, so can't help you with that. You might want to visit for a shorter workshop first before making that commitment. Good luck.

Hi Dainin,

Yes, they do seem to have the most complete curriculum.

I have both a B.S. and an A.S. degree and don't find any pleasure in either career path: Business/Computers

I would like to move to Cleveland & attend the school. After the school, I can "resume" the career or whatever you want to call my job.

I've spoken with people who visited New Hampshire, where I currently live, but reside in Cleveland.

One gent said that the 3 best cities are: Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati..not in any particular order.

People have clarified that the winter is similar to New Hampshire but not as harsh in Cleveland.

Columbus, Ohio has mild winters.

People have also stated that it's cheaper to live there as well and it is compared to New Hampshire & taxed out Massachusetts (don't bother living there, you'll be taxed to death! Seriously....The drivers are ultra aggressive as well)

I really can't keep on taking Fridays & Mondays off but I do need to visit there and establish an apartment there and get going.

The problem with Buddhist training in N.H. is that Boston is an hour away and there really aren't any formal training schools for Mahamudra and such...sitting "meditation" yes but anything else is a no-go.

Thank you for your insights.

Stefos

Hi everyone,

I was contemplating on attending the Bihar School of Yoga in Cleveland, Ohio.....Actually moving there and going through the school which takes a total of 3/4 years.

The Bihar school of Yoga is unique in that the founder Swami Satyandanda Saraswati's primary thrust was Advaita Vedanta, not yoga (Hatha or otherwise).

Swami Satyananda Saraswati however was also a great siddha I found out and knew Tantra as well.

It seems that he was part of the Dashnami order of Sanyasis who go around teaching, not stuck in a monastery all day.

Has anyone had experience with this school?

Does anyone here live in Cleveland?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stefos1

P.S. I have my B.S. degree & my A.S. degrees so now I really want to be in a spiritual environment, per se. Not like the body isn't spiritual however I hope you catch my drift.

Thanks again! :)

OM AH HUM

Bihar School of Yoga has some good teachers and good system. A famous teacher in India is Ms. Shamim Akhtar.

Swami Satyananda Sarasvati and Swami Vishnudevananda were great stalwarts in the Yoga traditions of modern India.

Definitely worth looking into. From what I've seen, its not crazy like "Hot Yoga" and is not overtly physical like a lot of other yoga systems are. Bihar School approaches yoga from a very organic and sensible angle.

• Like 1

Hi Dwai,

Thank you for your kindness in expressing your understanding.

I send my love & well wishes to you

Stefos

• Like 1

Although these events took place some time ago, this is a big disappointment:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/paradise-lost-satyananda-yoga-ashram-is-the-subject-of-royal-commission-hearing-20141128-11v3rl.html

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/satyananda-ashram-sex-abuse-victims-want-1-million-in-compensation-20141210-123zz2.html

http://matthewremski.com/wordpress/boycott-satyanandas-literature-and-methods-until-reparations-are-made-for-sexual-abuse/

I have been really getting into some of the yoga methods of this school during the past year or so, and having good results with them. Now I'm not so sure that I want to continue.

Can we separate practices from the failings (or heinous crimes) of their creators?

Although these events took place some time ago, this is a big disappointment:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/paradise-lost-satyananda-yoga-ashram-is-the-subject-of-royal-commission-hearing-20141128-11v3rl.html

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/satyananda-ashram-sex-abuse-victims-want-1-million-in-compensation-20141210-123zz2.html

http://matthewremski.com/wordpress/boycott-satyanandas-literature-and-methods-until-reparations-are-made-for-sexual-abuse/

I have been really getting into some of the yoga methods of this school during the past year or so, and having good results with them. Now I'm not so sure that I want to continue.

Can we separate practices from the failings (or heinous crimes) of their creators?

I think that is a very personal question.

Each of us much search within ourselves for our answer.

For me, personally, the behavior of those whose methods and teachings I would follow is important.

Not necessarily because unacceptable behavior is an indication that the method is ineffective, rather it is an indication that the individual has failed

However, the role of the teacher is, in part, to set an example - to show the students what fruition looks like so that they are able to better recognize it in themselves and become self-sufficient. Without that sort of example to follow, the road becomes that much more challenging.

We can find all the information we need in books, videos, internet sites, and so on...

The teacher needs to inspire us to integrate that information and transform it into something beautiful.

I feel very sorry for all those who were abused and their families.

Predators are a part of our lives and it is their nature to prey on the vulnerable.

Many of them are drawn to spiritual teachings perhaps in part in an effort to try and tame their demons, but also perhaps knowing that there is opportunity there.

We must be ever vigilant.

• Like 3