Sign in to follow this  
cloud recluse

Sailor Bob ?

Have been in a deeply self-preoccupied blur for nigh on 12 months now, exacerbated recently by realising I probably wont be getting to check out Adyashanti when he travels Downunder this year :angry::angry::angry::angry:

But this has led me to wonder about the Local Talent ( I think I could afford a tram ticket,& the travel time would be more feasible :lol: ).

Any locals at all experienced with Sailor Bob Adamson ? anyone actually checked out the guy in person? Any feedback ?

Regards,Cloud :)

Edited by cloud recluse

Who is asking? ;)

I can't resist. Every time. Sorry. Proceed. :P

Sean

I don`t get it, is this related to something sailor Bob teaches?. Can someone explain it to me so that I could laugh too? :lol:

Who is asking? ;)

Chuckle :P

OK,Ill tell you WHAT is asking,sort of :lol:

A motive is asking. Thats whats asking. A motive that wants some face-to-face contact, some kind of'frission.'

I probably dont have the travel time to see Adya this year ( and OH how I could bitch & moan about THAT ), so Im wondering about the locals .Downunder Daoists can sometimes miss out on the 'Big Names '.Specially when youre flat broke with work committments that preclude much travel.

So this motive just wants itself some juice :P

Any locals at all experienced with Sailor Bob Adamson ? anyone actually checked out the guy in person? Any feedback ?

Hi Cloud,

No usefull feedback, have not heard of Sailor Bob.

But if it makes you feel less isolated I'm looking for teachers in Townsville, North Queensland.

hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahaaaa........... err

I don`t get it, is this related to something sailor Bob teaches?. Can someone explain it to me so that I could laugh too? :lol:

It's this Advaitic inquiry that Sailor Bob is known for pressing. Like when someone asks him, what kind of practice can I do to get enlightened, he will often reply with some variation of "Who is asking the question". He is trying to turn your inquiry back on itself, to awaken a spontaneous recognition of the insubstantial basis of a personal self that can do anything, much less find a practice to get enlightened. But it's turned into a kind of an inside joke in his circle. I think some of his students actually made t-shirts and hats that say "who is asking the question?" as a joke. :D

Sean

PS - Great to see you back here cloud buddy. :)

Aaawww,Shucks :wub:

Sean,its always good to plug in here,but I havent felt that Ive had much to contribute lately.

But Spring is sputtering into life downunder & Im feeling a little less "Reclusive" :lol:

Seriously though, last I looked Adya was bypassing Melbourne, so I miss out this year :( You yanks are all so spoiled :P

ive been meaning to go to sailor Bob for ages. i'll go soon, now with the weather warming up (sort of)

I take it youve not checked him out before then ? Im all ears for any impressions you garner :)

Regards,Cloud.

I've also missed you Cloud Recluse.

I too have not been on the Bums very often of late -

But the growth here is amazing -Sean ...you have built a great site !!!

I am sorry I missed you guys in NYC- but I was in Atlantic City etc ... looking for work & a place to live...

Basic stuff that kept me away from contact-

In any case It feels good to say howdy right here and now !

Ahh... Wayfarer64, good to see you too!

I've been pretty absent myself for the last several months. Starting to free up my time for TTB again finally. :)

Hi Cloud,

No usefull feedback, have not heard of Sailor Bob.

But if it makes you feel less isolated I'm looking for teachers in Townsville, North Queensland.

hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahaaaa........... err

OK, you are definetely more isolated than me :D

I've also missed you Cloud Recluse.

The feeling is mutual :)

Its seems quite a while since Ive made any decent contribution here.Hoping warmer weather will bring a bit of inspiration.

My only knowledge of Sailor Bob came through a link I found here...

he does seem to be a very interesting sort of bloke... I hope you get a chance to meet him.... and he you too of course!

Sean ....Please -try to realize that to feel anything but pride for what you have created here, is missing the importance of what you've done for us.

Even as the three of us have been somewhat absent from the board of late - WOW_ it has grown!

We are each and all much better people for having known eachother -even if merely in cyberspace.-

Hi cloud,

Did you ever seek out Sailor Bob? I've never met him but from what I've seen and read he seems to be the kind of guy that would be worth talking to.

Best,

Steve

Hi cloud,

Did you ever seek out Sailor Bob? ...

Alas, Im working 10 hour shifts 4-5 days a week( Im actually typing this at work ) ,& havent really seen ANYONE for a while :P But its definetely a plan. Probabaly for the Holidays.

Regards, Cloud :)

went to Sailor Bob's this morning.

very direct, immediate, profound......................peels away the layers of ignorance and illusion................

to the extent that one is willing to drop attatchments to views..............thus is revealed.

Thanks to whoever it was that originally brought Bob to notice on this forum

Ah, I thought it was you Cam - thanks.

Bob does a bit of an 'intro' talk, and then there's a discussion from questions that people ask. People ask questions, some others try to answer them, then Bob brings it it back to the fundamental point every time.

What's better than having a question answered? Being in the state where there are no questions, and in awareness, pure self illuminating intelligence remains. _/\_

went to Sailor Bob's this morning.

very direct, immediate, profound......................peels away the layers of ignorance and illusion................

to the extent that one is willing to drop attatchments to views..............thus is revealed.

Thanks to whoever it was that originally brought Bob to notice on this forum

Good stuff, keep it coming ( to the extent you can put it in words :) )

Should be back in Melbourne in May, with time on my hands .

Regards, Cloud :)

Hi Mat,

Glad to hear that you got to meet with "that which has been labelled sailor Bob" ;)

Sounds like a worthwhile experience.

Care to tell any more about it?

Peace

_/\_

Care to tell any more about it?

Hi Steve, I'll try, but the first thing i'll say is that putting it into words isn't easy. ;) Notwithstanding the fundametal illusion of a seperate 'self', past & future, for the sake of communication, these terms are used. :)

To use a metaphore. If our original undefiled self illuminous nature is like the clear sky, and all the thoughts & conditioning is like fog or clouds.

Also, some have a more thick fog obscuring the sky than others do. So it's different for everyone. I say this because some got the message, others sort of did, and others were still grasping to concepts.

And it was interesting to me, that some of the regular crew seemed a bit agitated that others were not 'getting it'.

Bob's pointers resonate with the clear sky so that the clouds/fog simply clears away. At least that's how it happend to 'me', and the peace, depth, stillness, etc was there, though the recognition of that has since been, and is often obscured by identification with thoughts & concepts, feelings, emotions etc.

I supppose the extent to which this clearing will occur for each person is dependent upon the willingness to let go & allow a 're-cognition'.

For me, until the recognition of pure self illumination is undisturbed, there seems to be a bit of a flux back and forth to verying degrees.

Of course, even having said that, the clear sky is always there, always untouched. But to know this through dierct and constant self experience seems to be the key, for which, as Sri Raman Maharshi said, find the source of the experiencer. Or, as Bob puts it "have a look". - potent & immediate :)

I like the title of one of his books,

"What's Wrong With Right Now? Unless You Think About It."

And in case you didn't already know you can hear alot of Bob on the Advaita Show.

Hi Steve, I'll try, but the first thing i'll say is that putting it into words isn't easy. ;) Notwithstanding the fundametal illusion of a seperate 'self', past & future, for the sake of communication, these terms are used. :)

To use a metaphore. If our original undefiled self illuminous nature is like the clear sky, and all the thoughts & conditioning is like fog or clouds.

Also, some have a more thick fog obscuring the sky than others do. So it's different for everyone. I say this because some got the message, others sort of did, and others were still grasping to concepts.

And it was interesting to me, that some of the regular crew seemed a bit agitated that others were not 'getting it'.

Bob's pointers resonate with the clear sky so that the clouds/fog simply clears away. At least that's how it happend to 'me', and the peace, depth, stillness, etc was there, though the recognition of that has since been, and is often obscured by identification with thoughts & concepts, feelings, emotions etc.

I supppose the extent to which this clearing will occur for each person is dependent upon the willingness to let go & allow a 're-cognition'.

For me, until the recognition of pure self illumination is undisturbed, there seems to be a bit of a flux back and forth to verying degrees.

Of course, even having said that, the clear sky is always there, always untouched. But to know this through dierct and constant self experience seems to be the key, for which, as Sri Raman Maharshi said, find the source of the experiencer. Or, as Bob puts it "have a look". - potent & immediate :)

Thanks Mat - if I weren't on the other side of the world, I'd love to meet Bob. He sounds like a special guy.

Sign in to follow this