Sign in to follow this  
zerostao

arctic warming up in more ways than one

Well, I hope the sharing of those resources is done fairly. I'm sure the UN will have to get deeply involved in determining access to those resources.

• Like 1

I'm sure finances and geopolitical f*kery will have plenty to do with it also

Oh, I am sure of that too. Can't get away from big money and politics. (Unless you become a hermit. And even then some government will come along and make you pay taxes on your cave.)

“It’s another remarkable sign of the dramatic environmental conditions changing as the result of sea ice loss,” Margaret Williams, managing director of the World Wildlife Fund's Arctic program, told The Guardian.

quote so full of facepalm....only thing missing was the mention of CO2 being the cause :lol: hold your breath for that ice free arctic, margaret

Actually, we are nearing the end of the last ice age. Won't be long the next one will start. Stock up on winter clothing.

• Like 1

for the fashion minded, perhaps some of those military surplus arctic parkas, mukluks,

ECWCS !!

wait we are talking up in the arctic circle where the russian styles will be more in vogue.

sable hat would be nice

• Like 1

WASHINGTON -- The Islamic State may be the most immediate challenge facing the Defense Department, but Secretary Chuck Hagel said Wednesday that one of the biggest long-term security threats to the U.S. isn't a terrorist group. It's climate change.

"From my perspective, within the portfolio that I have responsibility for -- security of this country -- climate change presents security issues for us," Hagel said during remarks at the Washington Ideas Forum. "This is critically important that we pay attention to this."

Hagel connected the dots between national security and the conditions of the planet. Glaciers are melting, he said, which increases the likelihood that a new waterway will form through the heart of the Arctic. That means new exploration for resources like oil and natural gas, a prospect that is already attracting attention from world powers, he said.

"There's a security dynamic to that," Hagel said. "As the oceans increase, it will affect our bases. It will affect islands. It will affect security across the world. Just from my narrow perspective, what I have responsibility for, that's happening now."

The defense secretary acknowledged that Americans might take climate change more seriously if they hear military leaders talking about it, "only because the military, the Pentagon, has maybe, at least perceived by many people, a more serious look at the world." But it's not a new topic for national security officials.

"I remember when I was in the Senate ... [former Virginia Sen.] John Warner and I introduced legislation years ago ... for a study on climate change, on how it would affect our national security," Hagel said, referring to a 2007 measure he backed.

"So I wasn't the only one thinking about it," he added. "It was bipartisan. There were a lot of people thinking about it."

And water resources will be one of the ares where there will be great tensions and perhaps even violence.

The US of A won't be directly challenged by that as there is no other country we could go to war with for access to water except Canada and even they wouldn't have that much control over the waters of the US.

But yes, if the Arctic opens up that will dramatically change the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic and that will result in vast climate changes for many countries of the world.

My mind just recalled El Ninos and what those things do to the climate of the countries effected by the Pacific Ocean currents.

Sign in to follow this