DannyK

Jade Sutra Methods?

First credit to Trunk for writing a concise outline of the spiritual path called the "Jade Sutra." I have been struck by the simplicity and usefulness of this model.

There are three pillars in this outline. As a beginner I would like suggestions/input on the efficacy of what I am doing. I am 52 I don't have time to waste 20 years figuring out what works.

1 st Pilliar "Opening the Channels"

I have been trying to use the "Great Sky or Macrocosmic Orbit" after six months to one year of the "Microcosmic Orbit." to open my chi channels. (Reference "Dantian Qigong"-I Dudukchan.

I have also been doing in Wuji Gong as in the DVD by Cheng Bingsong twice a day.

2 nd Pilliar "Centering"

Meditating by just keeping my attention on the lower dan tian.

3 rd Pillar "Integrating heaven and Earth"

Sung breathing while doing Zhan Zhuang.

Any pointers would be welcome. Thanks---Dan

• Like 2

I would suggest learning to massage your channel pathways daily. Specifically, in the legs and arms. They will eventually become more apparent as actual channels instead of just lines a text says. Working with cavities will help this along, as well.

You will also become more comfortable and familiar with your body and will notice when changes appear in the channels. ie- pain, hard, soft, rough, bumps, hot, cold, etc.

Great luck!

• Like 2

Uroboros Thanks,that sounds like a sensible method. I started today.

LaoZiDao, Thanks for your input. I am such a novice. I am ignorant of so much that seems to be common knowledge on this forum. I looked "restoring YaunJing" up but was confused by the posts. Could you please furnish a reference that describes Yaunjing and the methods of restoring it? I am very interested in learning more.

Best wishes---Dan

It seems that the all "jade-sutra" method is based on clinging to physical sensations.

I think that -at least- it would be a good idea to add a technique that works on subtler levels of the mind. Emptiness meditation for example.

It seems that the all "jade-sutra" method is based on clinging to physical sensations.

I think that -at least- it would be a good idea to add a technique that works on subtler levels of the mind. Emptiness meditation for example.

There's kind of a lot packed into those 3, that I should write out in a more detailed way. Stillness and concentration meditations, luminous emptiness, is within the "centering" topic. Integrating the emptiness states with the subtle (vajra) aspects of the body has to do with the alchemy that occurs in the deep-center. Concentration and openness; these things integrate.

... and, yes, the emptiness teachings are important to get. Theoretically and practically.

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 1

Uroboros Thanks,that sounds like a sensible method. I started today.

LaoZiDao, Thanks for your input. I am such a novice. I am ignorant of so much that seems to be common knowledge on this forum. I looked "restoring YaunJing" up but was confused by the posts. Could you please furnish a reference that describes Yaunjing and the methods of restoring it? I am very interested in learning more.

Best wishes---Dan

There is not much common knowledge on this forum tbh, anyhow check out these threads:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/35815-minor-schools-and-inconsistent-methods-from-zhong-l-chuan-dao-ji/

http://thetaobums.com/topic/32430-neidan-vs-qigong/

http://thetaobums.com/topic/35872-neidan-refilling-yuanjingqi-building-the-foundation/

• Like 1

I would recommend another avenue to cultivate that will add huge benefits to your fitness, health and longevity.

Breath cultivation. Start with being conscious of your breathing through the day, then you can play with it. See where it goes, where its stuck, is it hard or soft, deep or shallow, smooth or rough, etc.

You can then do some Pranayama work with the 4 Gates. 4 Gates being- Inhalation, Pause, Exhalation, Pause. The pauses would be retention in Pranayama terms.

Breathing has huge benefits way beyond just air. Eventually you can get into the subtle breathes....

Utilizing a your breath with postures and movements, such as the 8 Brocades, is great. Feeling more that the movements are channeling the breath instead of focusing on just the movements. That may seem obvious, for me it was a big change in the way I went about doing them that produces better results.

Great Luck!

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply. Work has been a bear this week.

Uroboros I got a DVD on integrating breathing and qi gong.

Trunk, I like the brevity of the Jade Sutra. The lack of specificity makes your sutra more universal.

Lao, thanks for the research on the threads. ---Dan

• Like 3