Sign in to follow this  
PimonratC

...Wait...

yup me too. ..

in fact I think delaying gratification can become a problem. .. stops you living in the moment. .. something I need to work on. ... :(

• Like 1

Oooooo - 'delay gratification' is one of the main 3 paths to psychological good health. IMO being 'in the moment' doesnt mean at the whim of every passing phase that 'intrudes into' that moment.

The 'delay gratification' tests on kids are pretty eye-opening ; 2 scenarios are offered, the kid is taken to a room and offered 2 plates - one has one treat on it, the other has multiple. Choice; have the plate with one right now and that's it, not allowed back in -or go out and come back in a bit later and you can have the other plate. The choices define the two resultant groups and then testing is done on the two groups. Interesting results !

What are the results? Why is delaying gratification better than the alternative?

my experience tells me that delaying is not necessarily a good thing. ..... It can be indicative of willpower if done in moderation. ...... But can be a woeful burden if it becomes a habit of itself. ....

Anything becoming 'a habit in itself' is not good psychology - so, of course I dont mean that.

Children who were able to wait longer for the preferred rewards tended to have better life outcomes, as measured by SAT scores,, educational attainment,.body mass index . and other stuff .

Surely you know what happens when you get everything you want?

MF%20final.png

Edited by Nungali

And dont tell me that little yap dog on the right aint the trouble maker of the three :D

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Puppy Olive ( 17 weeks old) here is learning to sit and wait.

Thing is, and we know not from where as the other two don't do it.

She taps your 'treat' hand with her right paw.

If I swap the treat into the other hand behind my back she knows and taps the correct hand with the treat in.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Ha! I used to do that with our dog. he was very smart. The first time I did ; no not this hand ... no, not the other hand ... O Here it is behind your ear - he freaked out!

He was very intelligent. After the first time he grabbed my hand on the way to his ear (gently) and I couldnt pull of the trick.

So I tried 'Not in this hand, not in that hand ... where did it go ???" < feigns confusion> he just walked around behind me and got it out from my belt.

• Like 1

I reckon she can smell the treat.

Super clever she is.

The other two dogs just stare at me or bark until I give them the treat.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Sign in to follow this