Sign in to follow this  
woodcarver

Here's another burning question

If there is no "I", this is not my body, and we all share the same consciousness... then is it possible to shift perspectives through other people?.. as in see through somebody else's eyes and experience what they experience?

Second, if this were possible and you knew it was, would you tell me?

• Like 1

They call it empathy :).

As well as other things.

But yes, BKA hit on it but then, there is an "I", many "I"s. Over 7 billion. This includes those Buddhists who say they have no "I".

Damn Buddhists!

Thank you for the responses.

Hehehe. We should be easy on them though. They are mostly good people.

To the best of my recall neither Lao Tzu nor Chuang Tzu spoke of whether or not we exist. Or that we all are individuals. But both speak often of compassion. And this leads toward empathy.

And I will add that there are people who can "feel" others much better than most. Many of these are healers of one sort or another. This may even be a learnable trait, I don't know.

I've lived my life as an empath and it can be challenging to know ones own feelings among everyone else's. If I tune in very closely to a person's energy I can usually see their perspective and experience in a situation pretty clearly. I've had to learn boundaries because this trait tends to lead to giving up all your energy for others... Esp and including those who prey on your empathy! Not all psychics are empaths, I've discovered. So even people who can see don't always feel the other people that way. It's a blessings and a curse.

The more I cultivate, the more this gets stronger too. To the point that if I send someone a letter or an email out of the blue, I can feel their reaction to it if it's a strong one. I stopped engaging in online discussions about any hot topics because it would tie up my energy emotionally and I could feel people attacking me if I offered some contrary suggestion (my entire thing is all about peace and love, and still people find fault in this haha...) When I'm around someone who is upset and angry I can become overwhelmed with similar feelings or sometimes feel it's directed towards me and get really guilty like I did something wrong and wonder why... Hahaha... So anyway, the answer is yes -- and I am telling you so :)

Edited by Sunbeam
  • Like 1

Also Chuang Tzu does address this... from the Feng / English translation of the Inner Chapters :::

"If there is no other, there is no I. If there is no I, there is no one to perceive. This is close to the truth but we do not know why. There must be some primal force, but we cannot discover any proof. I believe it acts, but I cannot see it. I can feel it but it has no form..."

• Like 1

If there is no "I", this is not my body, and we all share the same consciousness... then is it possible to shift perspectives through other people?.. as in see through somebody else's eyes and experience what they experience?

In short, no, none of the above can be true :)

I've lived my life as an empath and it can be challenging to know ones own feelings among everyone else's. If I tune in very closely to a person's energy I can usually see their perspective and experience in a situation pretty clearly. I've had to learn boundaries because this trait tends to lead to giving up all your energy for others... Esp and including those who prey on your empathy! Not all psychics are empaths, I've discovered. So even people who can see don't always feel the other people that way. It's a blessings and a curse.

The more I cultivate, the more this gets stronger too. To the point that if I send someone a letter or an email out of the blue, I can feel their reaction to it if it's a strong one. I stopped engaging in online discussions about any hot topics because it would tie up my energy emotionally and I could feel people attacking me if I offered some contrary suggestion (my entire thing is all about peace and love, and still people find fault in this haha...) When I'm around someone who is upset and angry I can become overwhelmed with similar feelings or sometimes feel it's directed towards me and get really guilty like I did something wrong and wonder why... Hahaha... So anyway, the answer is yes -- and I am telling you so :)

Sunbeam, I know what you're talking about. I always strongly resonated with other people's feelings (including their disturbances), from childhood on. I didn't always know the source of what I was feeling at that time, it was quite upsetting.

Around age 20, I started consciously developing the ability to "tune into" people even remotely and get all kinds of information about them. This was particularly useful when I was working as an alternative therapist in the 90s. For example, there was that young woman from Yugoslavia who had arranged a session with me for psychological reasons. Before seeing her for the first time, I "scanned" her in my mind. I felt some aches in her lower back as if they were my own. The condition persisted for a couple of hours. When I met her later the same day, she confirmed my perception. I told her that, according to what I had seen by my inner vision, the reason for the aches was a misalignment of her pelvis due to one of her legs being slightly shorter than the other. She said that's what her doctor had told her, too.

I did this kind of diagnosis successfully (and often painfully) hundreds of times. I'm glad that I'm not doing it any longer! But the basic receptivity doesn't vanish. It does take some ego strength to keep it straight.

Yes, unlike some other "bums", I confess that I actually do have an ego! :o And I don't consider it to be an illusion. It's what makes me a psychologically distinct personality in the sea of collective consciousness (the "hive" as I sometimes call it jokingly). My ego's boundaries seem to be a little more permeable than most other people's, that's all the difference.

I also think that training or cultivation goes a long way in enhancing as well as learning to open up and, hopefully, close down this kind of perception at will.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

I haven't quite learned to close it down, but I guess there are times where I make a conscious effort to avoid tuning in because the situation seems scary or something. It has recently occurred to me that I need to cultivate psychic protection -- though cultivation itself has been tremendously helpful at deflecting a lot of the woebegone types that used to come to me like magnets! I have more of an energetic shield than I used to, but there are still times that I feel drained or invaded.

I do readings for people now as well using astrology and sometimes those charts just linger around and information pops up at inconvenient times haha, or I'll get so zinged up reading them that I lose my grounding. I've actually started to feel like I need to wear a bunch of hematite or something while I do readings for all the above reasons! I've yet to test that one, but I think I have a few hematite bracelets hanging around.

Edited by Sunbeam
  • Like 1

Well, quantum physics says that all electrons exist everywhere at once, and then there is farseeing, which the CIA itself has researched extensively, as well as Russian intelligence, it seems plausible that one could 'tune in' to the energy expressions that are happening elsewhere, if the focus and ability was there. It says in Patanjali's sutras that this and many other interesting things are possible.

I recall a story a coworker told me about he and his girlfriend engaging in an intense circular breathing exercise while making love, while holding each others' eyes.

At one point he told me, he was looking into his own face, from her perspective.

• Like 1

Well, quantum physics says that all electrons exist everywhere at once, and then there is farseeing, which the CIA itself has researched extensively, as well as Russian intelligence, it seems plausible that one could 'tune in' to the energy expressions that are happening elsewhere, if the focus and ability was there. It says in Patanjali's sutras that this and many other interesting things are possible.

Didn't the US and the Russians both have very well funded Remote Viewing Units throughout the cold war? Sounds like that follows this premise.

If there is no "I", this is not my body, and we all share the same consciousness...

You said "If".

There is, however, nothing to varify/solidify the statement. So as per usual, I dispute the statement.

Didn't the US and the Russians both have very well funded Remote Viewing Units throughout the cold war? Sounds like that follows this premise.

so I have heard/read....read some book on it once - I feel it's a likely ability one could cultivate

so I have heard/read....read some book on it once - I feel it's a likely ability one could cultivate

The one Colonel, (why is that pronounced kernal?), that I heard interviewed was part of the original program and he described it like a skill that could be improved drastically with training. I imagine a certain amount of natural talent has to exist though.

The one Colonel, (why is that pronounced kernal?), that I heard interviewed was part of the original program and he described it like a skill that could be improved drastically with training. I imagine a certain amount of natural talent has to exist though.

I think the trick is to be able to enter a really relaxed, altered state akin to deep autohypnosis...yeah - if you lack the intrinsic ability to deeply relax and attenuate normal information entering through the 5 more physical sense gates, you probably won't be able to get there....

• Like 1

If there is no "I", this is not my body, and we all share the same consciousness... then is it possible to shift perspectives through other people?..

If there is no "I" then there are no other people.

• Like 3

Ok but what about (waves arms around) THIS? What about that?

It all exists. Really, in reality.

But let's not think that our illusions, delusions and dreams exist for anyone but ourselves.

We don't need be carrying other peoples' baggage.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this