ValleyStream

Classical "Valley Stream" Translation

I am in need of someone to translate the term, "Valley Stream" into traditional chinese characters.

I think i may have it correct in my picture but i know nothing of proper chinese caligraphy.

Also, When annotating these characters on my profile picture, if i write them vertically do i start from bottom to top or from top to bottom?

If i already have it correct in my profile picture just let me know.

As a local to northern rural USA i dont have much local chinese caligraphy sources.

Thank you.

• Like 1

My profile picture is the one i am talking about. Classical chinese painting with 2 characters. Just wondering if it reads as, "Valley Stream". If not, what i should so to fix it.

hmmm... your picture is broken again. Can you upload whatever image it is you're trying to use here in this thread?

Is the image i described not the one that you see?

• Like 1

I am guessing that you ask this based on the DDJ chapter 66 where some translate the opening line with 'valley streams'?

The oldest text, the Guodian Bamboo, has in Line 1 浴 (Yu) instead of 谷 (Gu). From a pictorial point of view, this seems to support the idea of streams flowing down the mountain into the valley.

Seal example of Yu:

s08336.gif

Seal example of Gu:

L25000.gif

• Like 2

I am guessing that you ask this based on the DDJ chapter 66 where some translate the opening line with 'valley streams'?

The oldest text, the Guodian Bamboo, has in Line 1 浴 (Yu) instead of 谷 (Gu). From a pictorial point of view, this seems to support the idea of streams flowing down the mountain into the valley.

Seal example of Yu:

s08336.gif

Seal example of Gu:

L25000.gif

This is a good point, though in modern Chinese 浴 means bath (which probably doesn't make a difference since we're talking Daoism, not modern China, but thought I'd point it out to be thorough!)

As far as the second character,

流 , as in English, is both a noun and verb (a stream, to stream), which creates a little ambiguity. I don't think a stream in a valley would be called a 谷流

溪 is just a noun, and I think might be better. There's actually a Chinese painter called 谷溪, perhaps you could steal his signature :P

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 2

This is a good point, though in modern Chinese 浴 means bath (which probably doesn't make a difference since we're talking Daoism, not modern China, but thought I'd point it out to be thorough!)

Yes, I know... and we're talking about the ancient barbarians from Chu... using Chu script.

• Like 1

Yes, I know... and we're talking about the ancient barbarians from Chu... using Chu script.

Yes I forgot about the "classical" part! :unsure:

edit: So being that the seal script 浴 implies a valley stream in one character, would you suggest just the one character? or add a second? (流、溪...?)

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 2

Seal example of Yu:

s08336.gif

Seal example of Gu:

L25000.gif

Well, i intended to have it translated as a name if that is possible. My Family name is translated as valley stream in swedish, Hence my user name is ValleyStream. I believe my profile picture is working now. Do i have it right on the picture?

Whatever you do use, if you want to make it look pretty I quite like this site:

http://www.skyfont.com/?char=%E8%B0%B7%E6%BA%AA&font=%E5%8D%9A%E6%B4%8B%E8%A1%8C%E4%B9%A67000&template=1024-880&layout=2&size=128&hspace=0&vspace=64&forecolor=%23000000&backcolor=%23ffffff

(I assume you have access to an image editor to have made your current avatar...)

This is a great site! thank you!

• Like 1

Yes I forgot about the "classical" part! :unsure:

edit: So being that the seal script 浴 implies a valley stream in one character, would you suggest just the one character? or add a second? (流、溪...?)

I'd recommend two as anyone who can read chinese will understand it better... than thinking he wants to take a bath :P

Well, i intended to have it translated as a name if that is possible. My Family name is translated as valley stream in swedish, Hence my user name is ValleyStream. I believe my profile picture is working now. Do i have it right on the picture?

Not sure what was up yesterday that someone could not see your picture... I've been seeing it fine.

• Like 1

As far as the second character,

流 , as in English, is both a noun and verb (a stream, to stream), which creates a little ambiguity. I don't think a stream in a valley would be called a 谷流

溪 is just a noun, and I think might be better. There's actually a Chinese painter called 谷溪, perhaps you could steal his signature :P

Aha! it makes sense. So my picture is annotating "to flow" under Valley. I think i will "steal" the painters signature. After looking into some translations of the name it is what i am going for. 2 nouns rather than a verb. Thank you!

• Like 1

So, what I have now should read as "Valley Stream" top to bottom if I am correct. Should it be written top to bottom? Also, a confirmation that it is correct would be super cool. ;)

On some real levels, Thanks everybody.

Yes, top to bottom like that. As far as 溪, considering that nobody's objected to it, and that there is a person with the name 谷溪, I think you're safe. It's a cool name :)

It's not really pertinent, but out of interest, the painter signs his name thusly:

post-111592-0-43016000-1411067930.png

• Like 1

Yes, top to bottom like that. As far as 溪, considering that nobody's objected to it, and that there is a person with the name 谷溪, I think you're safe. It's a cool name :)

Thank you, dustybeijing.