the1gza

Pranayama Question

I wanted to know if you all know about a certain issue that I have been trying to figure out with pranayama.

I have been seeing that one of the hallmarks in doing pranayama is to get to 320 rounds of pranayama per day. Moreover, this is supposed to be pranayama with retention, particularly the 1:4:2 ratio with nadi shodana. In terms of that ratio, another hallmark is to reach 16:64:32 as the ratio.
This practice is supposed to last 3 months as per the process of nadi purification. However, when I did the math, a round of pranayam at that ratio would be 224 seconds. Multiplied by 320, that's 71680 seconds. There are only 86400 seconds in a day, which leaves a person with a little bit more than 4 hours left in a day (71680 is just 5 minutes and 20 seconds shy of 20 hours). Counting sleep and eating, along with washing one's ass, this appears impossible to fit into 24 hours.
My question is, am I misunderstanding this implication? Is 16:64:32 not practiced to that length, to 320 rounds per day?
  • Like 1

I wanted to know if you all know about a certain issue that I have been trying to figure out with pranayama.

I have been seeing that one of the hallmarks in doing pranayama is to get to 320 rounds of pranayama per day. Moreover, this is supposed to be pranayama with retention, particularly the 1:4:2 ratio with nadi shodana. In terms of that ratio, another hallmark is to reach 16:64:32 as the ratio.
This practice is supposed to last 3 months as per the process of nadi purification. However, when I did the math, a round of pranayam at that ratio would be 224 seconds. Multiplied by 320, that's 71680 seconds. There are only 86400 seconds in a day, which leaves a person with a little bit more than 4 hours left in a day (71680 is just 5 minutes and 20 seconds shy of 20 hours). Counting sleep and eating, along with washing one's ass, this appears impossible to fit into 24 hours.
My question is, am I misunderstanding this implication? Is 16:64:32 not practiced to that length, to 320 rounds per day?

I do not know enough to say anything about most of your questions. What I can say is that at that high a level, sleep probably isnt needed.

That is all I can contribute atm. I hope the more Pranayama knowledgable members come forth and share their wisdom!

Good questions, btw. When you practice the hold/ retention, do you utilize the full and empty?

• Like 1

At the moment, I am not going empty yet. I do practice Yantra Yoga, which is supposed to be the equivalent to Hindu Hatha Yoga. In that practice, there is empty holding, but as far as my nadi shodana practice, I have not gotten into empty holds yet. I am just starting the full kumbhaka, which is why I figured to ask this sooner rather than later. Thanks for chiming in Uroboros.

• Like 1

16:48:32 is the same as 1:4:2. one way I've learnt pranayama is with glottis control. Then the purak (in breath) start with 10 seconds and build up to as long as you can without exerting. Pranayama is to be done feeling comfortable. I don't know what your source of 320 cycles it, but for all practical purposes, I would consider 16:48:32 to be the duration of the pranayama.

Do as many as you are comfortable with. There SHOULD NOT BE any exertion. It should be done easily and comfortably. If you are exerting, then reduce the duration of the puraka (inhalation) and thereby the kubhaka (retention) and rechaka (exhalation). Most people have trouble with the retention and exhalation (I used to struggle most with the exhalation -- used to be hard while maintaining proper glottis control). So it's a good idea to start small and build it up over a few months time.

My teacher is to time the number of cycles for us, since too much would "burn" the Nadis. Doing 10-20 cycles of pranayama this way, in vajrasana, cycling through four mudras would start raising energy very powerfully up the central channel to the crown point (took about 2-3 months to really take effect).

A more advanced technique is to do an antara kumbhaka (retention with full breath) and add bahya kumbhaka (retention after exhalation) for 1-2 seconds.

Remember, Pranayama is even more powerful than Chinese/Daoist techniques and it's not a good idea to do these without a qualified teacher's guidance.

Edited by dwai
  • Like 2

In keeping with his doctrine that nothing be taken too seriously, not even his own teachings,

the Master loved to tell this story on himself:

"My very first disciple was so weak that the exercises killed him.

My second disciple drove himself crazy from his earnest practice of the exercises I gave him.

My third disciple dulled his intellect through too much contemplation.

But the fourth managed to keep his sanity."

"Why was that?" someone would invariably ask.

"Possibly because he was the only one who refused to do the exercises."

The Master's words would be drowned in howls of laughter.

• Like 2

I appreciate the insight here, and am thankful for you guys responses. Pranayama is something that I am pursuing, and still will pursue, without a teacher for the time being. However, because of that, I am going to do a lot more preparation with the nadi shodhana that does not utilize kumbhaka. I will admit that I kinda raced through those based on physical ability, and even though I can feel pranic awareness a lot more thoroughly, I can say that kumbhaka is an entirely different beast. So thanks in helping me remember a bit of patience with this practice, and in doing so I might come along an experienced teacher who can ensure my safety in getting to kumbhaka.

• Like 2

16:48:32 is the same as 1:4:2. one way I've learnt pranayama is with glottis control. Then the purak (in breath) start with 10 seconds and build up to as long as you can without exerting. Pranayama is to be done feeling comfortable. I don't know what your source of 320 cycles it, but for all practical purposes, I would consider 16:48:32 to be the duration of the pranayama.

Do as many as you are comfortable with. There SHOULD NOT BE any exertion. It should be done easily and comfortably. If you are exerting, then reduce the duration of the puraka (inhalation) and thereby the kubhaka (retention) and rechaka (exhalation). Most people have trouble with the retention and exhalation (I used to struggle most with the exhalation -- used to be hard while maintaining proper glottis control). So it's a good idea to start small and build it up over a few months time.

My teacher is to time the number of cycles for us, since too much would "burn" the Nadis. Doing 10-20 cycles of pranayama this way, in vajrasana, cycling through four mudras would start raising energy very powerfully up the central channel to the crown point (took about 2-3 months to really take effect).

A more advanced technique is to do an antara kumbhaka (retention with full breath) and add bahya kumbhaka (retention after exhalation) for 1-2 seconds.

Remember, Pranayama is even more powerful than Chinese/Daoist techniques and it's not a good idea to do these without a qualified teacher's guidance.

This is an excellent post.

The point about there not being any exertion is vital. It must be comfortable. Over time the breath will deepen.

Hehe, I was taught a 3/3 breath cycle. Inhale, exhale, inhale, hold, exhale, inhale, exhale, hold. It is powerful.

I got a bit of food poisoning/ stomach flu the other day and was vomiting all night. The next day I did 3/3 Pranayama and my body started to heal and I was able to eat and go for a walk a few hours later.

That is powerful.

At the time, the most I could hold was 5 seconds. Anymore was too much. Listen to your body.

• Like 2