BaguaKicksAss

You don't gain anything from empowerments

you instead lose stuff :). Lots of stuff!

Just stuff that got on the way anyways....

(my present newbie understanding at least; though I'm sure I'll loose that soon too lol)

• Like 4

Is it gaining responsibility?

Or is it losing aspects of yourself that kept you from being the person who fulfills what they see, what needs to be done.

• Like 2

If you have 3 pieces of a picture puzzle, and then you fit them together - are you losing 3 pieces of the picture or gaining 1 whole complete picture?

• Like 2

hmm, I'd say neither...

I still have three pieces of a puzzle, although my perspective of the pieces has changed...

Not sure if that's gaining or shifting, feels more like shifting, unless I obsess mentally on the image, then I've gained mental baggage.

in gaining responsibility one loses certain luxuries of beating around the bush with speculations.

• Like 2

I thought it was interesting, in that many talk about empowerments like they are these things you collect, and that you get a lot of something out of each one. I also figured I would get something out of it. However, I just keep losing things :D. Interesting process! Though teachings which don't include empowerments seem to do that too. So you don't gain anything from teachings either, just lose more stuff; from my present perspective anyways.

• Like 1

It is nice to lose being blown around every which way like a leaf in the wind and thus gain some unity and related will in one's state of being (or stance) which has many aspects.

• Like 2

Commercially though advertising an empowerment along those lines might not shift many tickets.

" Come to this empowerment and you'll be sure to lose something."

Whenever empowerment ads or chat pop up on a Buddhist site I visit now and again the subtext is just how much the posters hope to get out of it or did get out of attending.

Seems like empowerments are something that those who like that sort of thing keenly 'aspire' to partake of.

Now call me Sally Cynical if you like but.......

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP

Commercially though advertising an empowerment along those lines might not shift many tickets.

" Come to this empowerment and you'll be sure to lose something."

Whenever empowerment ads or chat pop up on a Buddhist site I visit now and again the subtext is just how much the posters hope to get out of it or did get out of attending.

Seems like empowerments are something that those who like that sort of thing keenly 'aspire' to partake of.

Now call me Sally Cynical if you like but.......

Pop up ads for empowerments, that's sort of scary! I wonder if those teachers mind that their sacred teachings/learnings have become so commercialized? Perhaps they are just happy that more people are able to benefit. Or perhaps the person flying the teacher over is trying to cover airfare and etc. It does make me naturally suspicious though I have to admit. Even more suspicious of those phone and online empowerments that folks charge for....

So far the teachings I have been to barely break even. Then there is the Dalai Lama, who gives empowerments to 30,000 people at a time (!), and donates the profits to displaced Tibetans funds and such...

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

Well for those who like that sort of thing,

that is the sort of thing that they like.

It's all a bit ritualistic for my taste but if it works for those it works for then good luck to them.

There's just that frisson of 'stamp collector' nerdism over on that other site.

( I paraphrase a little here for comedic effect...)

" i went to Lama Dama Ding Dongs empowerment I did."

Says Poster A

" well Lama DDD is piss poor IMO , you'd have got more from going to McDonalds..." Responds poster B and goes on to claim...

" now Lama Dingy Dum Dum, he's the lad for empowerments. I was over at one last week and I can almost walk through walls now."

In pops Poster C...

" You two are mad. The only Lama worth the candle for empowerments is Lama Dongy Din Din. I've been going to him for years and it has cured my piles a treat so it has."

And so on (metaphorically).

It's always men and they're always so flippin' intense about it all.

As if it mattered.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

They (empowerments) are all irrelevant if you don't practice your butt off though. (or at least I figure; doesn't make sense any other way)

I've never heard anyone in person brag about their empowerments, or even talk about them now that I think about it. Might be an internet thing.... Though people do talk warmly about teachers :).

• Like 3

That they do and from 'warm' to 'heatedly' elsewhere now and again.

We're better than that here though.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Well for those who like that sort of thing,

that is the sort of thing that they like.

It's all a bit ritualistic for my taste but if it works for those it works for then good luck to them.

There's just that frisson of 'stamp collector' nerdism over on that other site.

( I paraphrase a little here for comedic effect...)

" i went to Lama Dama Ding Dongs empowerment I did."

Says Poster A

" well Lama DDD is piss poor IMO , you'd have got more from going to McDonalds..." Responds poster B and goes on to claim...

" now Lama Dingy Dum Dum, he's the lad for empowerments. I was over at one last week and I can almost walk through walls now."

In pops Poster C...

" You two are mad. The only Lama worth the candle for empowerments is Lama Dongy Din Din. I've been going to him for years and it has cured my piles a treat so it has."

And so on (metaphorically).

It's always men and they're always so flippin' intense about it all.

As if it mattered.

Paul, It sounds like you've had your cup of tea pissed in to many times? Do you now have a tendency to return the favor 'bada bing bada boom' if the opportunity presents itself?

• Like 1

you instead lose stuff :). Lots of stuff!

Just stuff that got on the way anyways....

(my present newbie understanding at least; though I'm sure I'll loose that soon too lol)

My friend....Have you received Shaktipat from a real Guru or Transmission from a Dzogchen master?

You gain something alright = An understanding that this physical dimension is simply provisional.

The Lord Jesus Christ loves you and heck so do I. :)

Stefos......Blessed with transmission from Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche and by God's manifesed presence

Edited by stefos
  • Like 1

No one can empower you. When you understand this, that's called "empowerment." When you don't understand this, that's called "disempowerment."

• Like 1

No one can empower you. When you understand this, that's called "empowerment." When you don't understand this, that's called "disempowerment."

but "disempowerment" would indicate that a person at one time had it, and then it got dissed, no?

• Like 2

an "empowerment" could also be in the sense of being given enough help to see the truth of a situation or issue that one is dealing with. (in the best way that one can yet they are caught or stuck and need a hand)

• Like 2

Are empowerments what you get when you level up?

but "disempowerment" would indicate that a person at one time had it, and then it got dissed, no?

People are always dissing my empowerment.

It gets old, man.

;)

• Like 2