Sign in to follow this  
Buddy

My teacher's Six Healing Sounds

One approach to the healing sounds that appeals to me as being very taoist is to do the chen taiji form with an audible exhale. The healing sounds will be done naturally with the movements. Chen style has reverse breath that is tied to the movement (store/release) more so than other styles and the varying tempo causes more variety of sounds to be created.

T

I liked doing the sounds in a circular seasonal way. Heart/summer w/ Haaah, circling to lungs/fall -SSssss, Kidney/winter Chuuuuuuw, Liver/spring SHhhhh. I'll cycle through them imagining the seasons and the organs.

Like American culture I tend to forget about the taoist late summer/monkey spleen.

Michael

One approach to the healing sounds that appeals to me as being very taoist is to do the chen taiji form with an audible exhale. The healing sounds will be done naturally with the movements. Chen style has reverse breath that is tied to the movement (store/release) more so than other styles and the varying tempo causes more variety of sounds to be created.

T

Similar in Yang style. Heng in, Ha out. Silent vowels used to regular the breath easily without using any muscles in the torso. Just the tongue and throat.

There are more sounds in chi gung forms. Usually associated with accoustics of the cavities and specific organs. Experimenting with the english vowels A E I O U is a good place to experiement. Try them after a relaxing chi gung practice.

Spectrum

Similar in Yang style. Heng in, Ha out. Silent vowels used to regular the breath easily without using any muscles in the torso. Just the tongue and throat.

Spectrum

Hi Spectrum, reason why I mentioned Chen style is that Yang is supposed to be done evenly. Chen has more variety and fajing meaning more sound potential. Of course the styles have been completely bastardized, i'm just saying that the original intent of Yang style (from the majority of expert opinion) is that it has the difficult stuff of the original chen style removed. Depending on which camp someone is learning from they will either agree or disagree. I've come to agree from my experience of both styles and exposure to teachers.

T

..a little embarrassed. I forgot.

We DO actually make sounds in three of our qigong exercises,

(but they are almost like the kiaps/shouts in martial art.

like really loud and strong: HAHH, HA, and HI, done on exhale.

so I kind of forgot them. They really make a difference and speed up

circulation.

but it is more interesting to be able to combine the sounds

with internal organs.

Edited by rain

Vowels are great. I think that if I had to choose one thing, it would be the vowels with movements, and singing. Very simple, but effective.

Vowels are great. I think that if I had to choose one thing, it would be the vowels with movements, and singing. Very simple, but effective.

Vowels are wonderful combined with movement. I had conversation with my son also before he started using words from our language, that is when he still made sounds. This helped me be more aware of the sound and intonation in my speech when I talked with him. Behind or rather in front of our guttural verbal communication is an intent-emotional-contextual communication (what you want to communicate before you have to pick and choose words.) Here "talking" is more like "jamming". It is richer, faster, smoother and more physical.

Hence it stimulates our body in a natural way. Closer to chi..maybe :)

I had some trouble trying to match Bum Grashoppers Tai Chi Chih six healing sounds with the sounds from Buddys Master of Taiwan. But could it something be like this?

XU (shu)- Liver - HSU

HE (huh)- Heart - HU

HU (hoo)- Stomach - HO

SI (ssss)- Lung - TSU

CHUI (cew-ai)- Kidney - CHUI

XI (sheee)- Triple warmer - HSI

Edited by rain

HO- hoe, HU- who, TSU- sue, HSU- shu, HSI- she, CHUI- shoe wee

My instructor did not elaborate on which organs corresponds to which sounds with the exceptions of CHUI, that is for the kidneys, so I think your list is right on. She did explain that they were developed by ancient sages to preserve health during long periods of meditation.

I think allowing the natural breath out of the mouth for detox the body and any sound that wants to come out.

My observation is that in making the sounds you are creating a specific vibration caused by the location of the tongue, teeth, pallete and cheeks. I do the sounds while doing my yoga /stretching routine each morning; very soothing.

Many systems use healing sounds. In Japan there is the Shinto Kotodama system of sacred sounds. The founder of Aikido Morihei Ueshiba considered it one of the sources of his power.

An old Kabalah system uses the vowels and links them to areas of the body. Aaay top of the head through Oooo lower stomach. Most systems seem to agree about the heart area being Haahhhhh. Being familiar w/ the sound and locations allows you listening to sacred chants on a physical level. Feeling where they hit and light up parts of the body.

Michael

rain,

But for slight variation I think they're the same. Some of it is just a matter of transliteration. I presented the easy version. The other one has much more movement in it.

Once I get a website up I'm going to offer it as either an ongoing free course (via email) or perhaps a download video for a few bucks. I'm tending toward free but too often people feel like you get what you pay for. Maybe I'll offer the whole series for like seven bucks and people can either give it away or sell it themselves (Private Label Rights). What does everyone think. I'm trying to drive traffic to my blog (and eventually website) by giving away as much as I can.

Buddy

BTW,

I'm thinking of adding the 8 healing sounds from Yin Fu baguazhang. A LOT different!

I learned Chia's...I like 'em, dont do 'em enough. When I was at a better level of practice I could literally feel my organs refreshed after the exercise, but lately I just seem too tense or whatever, dont feel the same benefits I used to.

Sign in to follow this