DannyK

Medical qi gong for diabetess discussion

I treat diabetics in a purely western sense. I am interested in the opinions of the community in how diabetes treatment is best aided by qi gong, meridian work, and acupressure. If you have medical qi gong expertise can you also detail the reasoning behind your approach.

THANKS -Dan

And make sure you put some slices of radix astragali (astragalus) in your soups.(only if you have type 2 diabetes, for type 1 is not recommended).

Edited by Andrei
  • Like 1

Best to balance the WHOLE system and quit attempting (not addressed to OP - I am speaking of ALL forms of medicine, including TCM) to break it into parts. Best medical qigong treatment balances...everything. "Leave nothing undone"

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies all. I probably should have written my original post better.My job is to treat diabetics. The majority of my patients get little to no exercise, and are quite a bit overweight. For those of you with medical qi gong expertise what would be the best general qi gong for people who are less than ideally fit or mobile. I do my job according to the western standards, and try to encourage my patients to engage in exercise and have healthier diets but if I could give them an easy to learn and perform general qi gong with a strong impact I would be serving them better.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies all. I probably should have written my original post better.My job is to treat diabetics. The majority of my patients get little to no exercise, and are quite a bit overweight. For those of you with medical qi gong expertise what would be the best general qi gong for people who are less than ideally fit or mobile. I do my job according to the western standards, and try to encourage my patients to engage in exercise and have healthier diets but if I could give them an easy to learn and perform general qi gong with a strong impact I would be serving them better.

OK. You mean qigong, not medical qigong. Medical qigong is wai qi liao fa - healing with external energy. Yes, there are prescriptive techniques but you are going to have a very broad range of people and prescriptive techniques could lead to imbalance due to variety of people. Best to teach them a simply SYSTEM that helps to balance out everything. I would suggest starting a class of 8 Brocade Pieces. And I like rebounding, rebounding, rebounding, rebounding qigong. (ya know, the little mini trampoline thing? THAT is a rebounder) Jump with feet barely coming off the matt. Put awareness on abdomen right below navel, inside body, and think of nothing.

• Like 3

Dan,

For use of qigong in diabetes treatment, also see

Tianju Liu: Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy

which has a chapter on diabetes followed by one on obesity.

Highly recommended reading.

• Like 1

Thanks Michael,

Very cool of you to reply. The medical literature (a small sample below,) suggests that qigong has a significant positive effect on diabetes control, but like most things you really have to do deep research before you know exactly what to recommend. Based on your recommendation I ordered a copy of the book. ---Dan

1. ↵
    1. Tsujiuchi T,
    2. Kumano H,
    3. Yoshiuchi K,
    4. He D,
    5. Tsujiuchi Y,
    6. Kuboki T,
    7. Suematsu H,
    8. Hirao K
    : The effect of Qi-gong relaxation exercise on the control of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care 2002; 25: 241– 242
  2. ↵
    1. Xin L,
    2. Miller YD,
    3. Brown WJ
    : A qualitative review of the role of qigong in the management of diabetes. J Altern Complement Med 2007; 13: 427–433
  3. ↵
    1. Lee MS,
    2. Chen KW,
    3. Choi TY,
    4. Ernst E
    : Qigong for type 2 diabetes care: a systematic review. Complement Ther Med 2009; 17: 236– 242

Thanks for the feedback. :) Glad to be of assistance, especially regarding alternative medical treatments, including more serious health problems. There is such a lack of knowledge regarding this generally, albeit the situation has improved over the last decades. So much good can be done in this area.

Best to teach them a simply SYSTEM that helps to balance out everything. I would suggest starting a class of 8 Brocade Pieces.

Fully agree.

The book I recommend contains (besides the classical methods) a special qigong form for diabetes patients that takes about 45 minutes to perform and which unites a number of proven traditional techniques.

This is of course not meant to belittle other methods.

• Like 1