Satya

Mindful breathing: controlled or not? Taoist, Buddhist, Anapanasati, Embryonic

Hey,

So, I know there're a lot, if not majority of practices that involve just watching the breath (in the whole body, just at the belly, at the upper lip, etc), but, doing some reading, I'm just wondering if there're any practices that would be called meditations that involved being mindful of the breath whilst intentionally doing deep breathing. Some of what I've read is unclear.

If you could post examples, preferably with references, of controlled mindful breathing, that would be much appreciated.

Just as one can be mindful when you do anything that YOU'RE DOING (walking, eating etc), I don't see why you can't be mindful when controlling your breathing, and, if one is doing deep, embryonic or longevity breathing and being mindful of the practice, then, that has the added benefit of slowing metabolism, relaxation response, calming body mind, etc.

Thoughts are appreciated.

• Like 1

You can be mindful while choosing to breathe a certain way, though because there's more mental activity that won't lead into samadhi.

It could be good for vipashyana if you want to probe into the nature of intention, that would be a deep meditation. :)

Edited by Seeker of Wisdom
  • Like 1

So in Taoist Tai Chi, which is what I practice, you don't control the breathing because that gets in the way of your process of change. The breathing will change naturally and you just let go.

Personally, if I had to control my breath while practicing the arts I would go crazy. I control too much as it is, I certainly do not need to add breathing to that list ;) Letting go each and every day is what helps me the most.

So that applies if you're intentionally directing/changing/controlling your breath. Being mindful about what is happening in the body while not attaching to it and being quiet, I think that's really good. Being mindful or aware, instead of interfering with the process.

Hope that helps!

I see it and experience it like this: the condition cycles through yin and yang with each breath, and resides in pure yin or yang in the profound pauses between the cycles. That's a natural process and true for everyone. Being aware of the process amplifies it's profundity. Coordinating body dynamics with the cycle of breaths leads to unity of body/mind.

Breathing has almost always been a technique used in the internal martial arts to channel chi. Mindfulness of one's breath is one of the techniques in taoist meditation and tai chi for developing and flowing chi.

Slow, deep breaths are one quite spectacular method for developing chi in particular parts of your body, such as the dan tien.

So, to answer your question, if I really understood it in the first place, is yes, we are mindful when we breathe.