Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

meditation poll

20 members have voted

1. 1. If you had an hour a day to meditate, would you break it up? Please explain your answer.

• One hour in the morning
    • One hour before bed
    • Half hour in the morning and half hour in the evening
    • Something else entirely

I would break it up, if for nothing more than relaxing the mind in the evening before bed, and clearing it in the morning before the day's activities.

I'm told evening is better (for the type of meditation I do) because one is less likely to be mentally making plans.

But I always do morning, because I can be sure of the time, and by the evening I might be drunk or knackered!

Would like to do both.

I would break it up - first because I'm not able to meditate for an hour yet, but I CAN do 20-30 minutes. Second - because it has different effects depending on when I do it. If I do it in the morning, it gets me calm and centered - ready for the day ahead. If I do it at night - it helps me relax and unwind, then I sleep much better. But maybe thats the same effect and I just look at it as being different. :mellow:

V.

One hour in the morning.

Do it in the morning and it's done.

Evening you may be out late or too sleepy.

We used to get up at 4 am meditateand chant

and go back to sleep for a couple of hours.

I'd start with half hour in morning, half hour in evening and add 5 minutes a week, rearranging my life however necessary until it was at least one hour in morning and one hour in evening. :)

"Something else entirely"

1 in the morning and 1 in the evening (cut down on sleep). You will need it less anyway within a week. Morning is easier then evening, though.

That's the approach of my Advaita teachers.

The way my Advaita teachers approach it is meditation is more something to enjoy yourself than discipline. Like a bird hanging out on a roof just doing nothing or something. Just hanging out enjoying yourself.

To my Advaita teachers I think asking how long and when should you meditate would be the equivelent of saying "For how long and when should you enjoy yourself?"

:lol:

I currently do an hour each (most!) mornings. I'm by far the clearest first thing in the morning. In the afternoon, evening, and before bed I'm tired, my head's cloudy and I struggle more.

I'm one of those weird afternoon people, it gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day.

I just can't get a routine happening with morning practice, but I think that is because I stay up too late @ night and I need that extra snooze time. Everyday I try to get up early and do something and everyday I just hit snooze :)

I am one of those people who trust that whenever the opportunity is there, or the energy is there, I try to do it.

These days I fail at trying.

There is basically 3 reasons for it:

- In the morning, I need to look after my son, who wakes me up at about 5.

- During the day, I'm working.

- During the evening I just have time to cook a meal, stay awake while my girlfriend attempts to talk to me, and pass out about 11 pm.

What to do, what to do?

h

1 hr of Dragon Body Hei Gung and med

1 hr long form of Wun Yuen and meds

1 Hr of internal Shaolin form and meds

This is broken up and depending on if im on nightshift i can train most nights with breaks!

WYG

I do an hour of standing I-Chuan practice in the afternoon or late morning, and anywhere from 10 min to another hour following practice.

I seem to get the most results then, as opposed to evenings, but early early morning is supposedly the best time. Assuming my schedule would ever allow for that...

I would go for 50 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening. You can do a lot in 10 minutes, but you need a central time to go deeper.

We were told not to break up the qigong which is done in the morning and takes from 15 - 45 minutes.

(45 minutes only one day a week by now).

the sitting and forgetting I like to do between 1500-1800, then my head needs the "melt down".

I would never break up meditation, I enjoy it too much, especially the stupid feeling I get every-

time I catch myself dropping the head dreaming and sleeping...

I dont usually have time to meditate in the mornings...I am usually doing elliptical and 8 brocades. I do like trying to get 10-15 in randomly at work, if possible...hasnt been lately. When I was in better practice I would grab a half hour after work. Only thing I havent been skimping on as far as all that is my last hour or so before bedtime, I'll grab some meditation and healing sounds.

Optimally, I'll do 30 minutes late morning and 30 mid afternoon, or whatever I can fit in even if it's just a few minutes. and 10-30 upon awakening and before bed while in bed and some exercise late afternoon-evening.

In my current practice we are told that with meditation two times a day an hour each is required minimum. With this practice if one were to do less (like just one hour a day) that is said to be counterproductive and over time depleting/destructive. Somehow is inherent in the practice itself. Doing more helps to finish certain processes more quickly. Time of the day: not so much importance put on that as it is great if one can fit it into a day anyway. I usually do 1 hour short before going to bed right now, and the other hour somewhere during the day when I can. Morning is too tough for me...

:)

Harry

for me meditation is like taking a long desired break.

i empty the mind into the lower abdomen, until it is filled to the brim.

then, i sense that the energy from the lower abdomen starts to rise, and i feel how it starts to nourish the brain.

then it comes together in a natural circuit, as a microcosmic orbit. by now, it happens almost as soon as i sink myself in the lower abdomen.

there are days when i spend a lot on work and stress, and i need more time to fill the battery.

but the time spent filling the battery is one of the most pleasant ones i enjoy. i cannot wait to do it. sometimes i do it in the subway train, sometimes in the bus... whenever i find the time.

i try to keep the "blissful" :P state as long as i can. is like starting an engine, and then giving it some impulse.

most of the day i try to keep my body strong and elastic, and all the joints open and flexible, also the kua.

another great pleasure is moving myself in the tai chi dance.

there are other practices, but these are essential for me, at this time.

i expect the practice will evolve by itself in a natural way, and more wonders will open up.

:)

Little

Sign in to follow this