Sign in to follow this  
idiot_stimpy

Google forum search embedded in the search feature

I visit another forum with the same forum software, and the search function allows you to search the forum and display results using google.

I find it does a much better job than the standard forum search.

Is there anyway to include this?

• Like 1

If it's not a feature available for the board software you can always use Google like a pro.

site:thetaobums.com idiot_stimpy will only search TheTaoBums.com for the phrase "idiot_stimpy" when you put it in Google search.

• Like 1

Seems to me you don't even have to write "site" anymore.

The Tao Bums idiot_stimpy

entered into the search field at Google should give the same results as a Google search bar embedded in the site would.

I'd personally prefer not to have the Google kraken permanently attached to our website.

• Like 2

Anyone know if external Google searches the ppfs?

Would embedded Google be able to do that?

Seems to me you don't even have to write "site" anymore.

The Tao Bums idiot_stimpy

entered into the search field at Google should give the same results as a Google search bar embedded in the site would.

I'd personally prefer not to have the Google kraken permanently attached to our website.

I understand your love for the kraken. But it would be a nice option. I find Google does a better job that's all.

Here, I entered:

the tao bums idiot_stimpy

precisely as written, into the normal google search page:

toward the one: practice log

no, no access to protected areas, which is good. And a good example of why we don't want the google search embedded (assuming it could then search protected areas, and a whole lot more stuff that google (and the NSA?) would love to get their hands on).

The standard google website search is perfectly fine for searching topics:

Lower Dantian

wuwei

google search

rainy days

Edit: when I click the links embedded in my post, they don't direct to the searches I pasted into the links. I had a feeling that would happen. But if you search those terms, you'll get the results.

Be creative, have fun searching TTB for obscure subjects! :-)

I visit another forum with the same forum software, and the search function allows you to search the forum and display results using google.

I find it does a much better job than the standard forum search.

Is there anyway to include this?

Can you find out the version of that one? I have talked to Sean about doing an upgrade as we are a few versions beyond.

There is a major upgrade available but I suspect that will not be performed due to the time needed. But if the feature is in one of the smaller revision upgrades, then it could be available.

Sign in to follow this