Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

The Great Wasteland

Not much of an accomplishment but last week, mostly over Labor Day weekend I watched the entire series of Breaking Bad. Five Seasons, 65 or so shows. They averaged about 46 minutes each, but using Netflix I fast forwarded parts which had the sister and brother-in-law in it. At first I could get through a show in as little as 25 minutes, later as they became more content dense I had longer. Did I lose much comprehension by fast forwarding so much? Maybe, I'm pretty sure the show was about car washes and drugs.

What happens when you watch so much crime drama so quickly? For one I feel I could cook up a batch of meth. I've learned crime doesn't pay, and grime is also bad, in the lab. I've learned whether you're an uptight violent gang banger boss or cool quiet meth selling mastermind, it doesn't matter, you'll wind up dead.

I've learned whether its your wife or DEA brother-in-law, honesty is the best policy, they'll find out the truth anyway. Geographically I've learned Albuquerque and New Mexico are vast empty wastelands, little different then the Mad Max movies. I don't understand how poor people were able to buy 'a tenth' for $300. It seems crazy expensive. I've learned when crazy high its best to sleep on your side, otherwise you'll choke to death, especially if you're not a main character.

Was it worth the huge time investment? I don't know. I've learned mercurry fulminate is cool and blows up on the floor, not in your hands. When to use riic in, when to use Lily of the Valley berries. When to misspell things so I'm not hauled off by the police. Things like that.

Unlike many long dramatic series it ended well, no loose ends.. literally.

All in all I'd recommend it, and let people know it starts off slowly. Any series you guys recommend??

• Like 1

Yeah, I watched all of "24" and "Live another day".

So the last in the series he was taken off to Russia as a prisoner.

I haven't heard yet if there is going to be anoth season.

All in all I'd recommend it, and let people know it starts off slowly. Any series you guys recommend??

I prefer them to be educational in other areas than the above.

LIke this one:

that recently screened here.

Edited by Nungali

Maybe it's just because television has always been my personal deep debilitating weakness, but I honestly can't fathom why the goal would be to "get through" an episode rather than enjoying it in its entirety...?

Each to his own, though!

My personal favourites, aside from BB, include The Wire, The Sopranos, Due South, The Good Wife, Firefly, Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Luther. Recently I've enjoyed True Detective, Orange is the New Black, Vikings, Louie.

The Wire would be my first recommendation for anyone.

Not much of an accomplishment but last week, mostly over Labor Day weekend I watched the entire series of Breaking Bad. Five Seasons, 65 or so shows. They averaged about 46 minutes each, but using Netflix I fast forwarded parts which had the sister and brother-in-law in it. At first I could get through a show in as little as 25 minutes, later as they became more content dense I had longer. Did I lose much comprehension by fast forwarding so much? Maybe, I'm pretty sure the show was about car washes and drugs.

This information age is amazing. No longer do we have to follow a series week to week, season by season.

I like watching a 50 minute show during dinner,...so the series format is great. A year ago I watched Fringe,...found it entertaining. This year I started Criminal Minds,...an excellent crime drama in my opinion,...many quite powerful, like season 1, episode 14.

I only like one episode of Breaking Bad (which was filmed in my hometown of Albuquerque),...it was a season finale where Walter White used a chemical from a flower on a boy that mimicked poison to expose his enemies,...and the last words, to his neurotic wife over the phone was "I won." Every other episode seemed to break bad.

Maybe it's just because television has always been my personal deep debilitating weakness, but I honestly can't fathom why the goal would be to "get through" an episode rather than enjoying it in its entirety...?

Each to his own, though!

My personal favourites, aside from BB, include The Wire, The Sopranos, Due South, The Good Wife, Firefly, Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Luther. Recently I've enjoyed True Detective, Orange is the New Black, Vikings, Louie.

The Wire would be my first recommendation for anyone.

Only seen Battlestar Galactica of those suggestions. My tastes are more into adventures, even though I'm currently enjoying Criminal Minds. Fringe, Chuck, L Word, the Kill Point, Merlin, Game of Thrones.

The Games of Thrones can be seen free on http://www.cucirca.eu/

• Like 1

Only seen Battlestar Galactica of those suggestions. My tastes are more into adventures, even though I'm currently enjoying Criminal Minds. Fringe, Chuck, L Word, the Kill Point, Merlin, Game of Thrones.

The Games of Thrones can be seen free on http://www.cucirca.eu/

Ya GoT is excellent

If you like BSG, GoT, and generally fantastical adventurey stuff, you'd probably enjoy Firefly -- cowboy pirates in space kind of thing.

I haven't seen Fringe or Chuck, but as far as other fun cop shows, Due South is my eternal favourite. Great buddy cop comedy-adventure-drama -- a Mountie with a wolf arrives in Chicago searching for his father's killer and ends up teaming up with a Chicago PD detective....

I recently finished the last episode of a detective show called Psych, which was a lot of fun, and am on the lookout for something new. Fringe sounds like good fun.

wow, I've never seen a single episode of any show mentioned thus far. I liked The Odd Couple in its day, haha

TV's an addiction. You're probably better off not knowing!

• Like 2

I turned the tv on and watched some football last night.

it hadn't been on since the last game of the stanley cup :lol:

If it has NCIS or CSI in the title then Mrs GMP watches it.

For an English housewife she certainly possesses a comprehensive knowledge of US Police procedures.

We don't have satellite ( pay) TV so tend not to see those series that people watch and then buy the box sets for.

Nor do we own any box sets.

TV for me...

Anything about

Trains

Cycling

Buses

Archaeology

Birds

Antiques

And I'm there.

Some quiz shows.

Two Tribes is good and I like Eggheads.

Apart from that it's X Factor or Strictly Come Dancing ( Strictly if those two clash) and that's my lot.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Apart from that it's X Factor or Strictly Come Dancing ( Strictly if those two clash) and that's my lot.

Though it's not something I'd admit to many male friends, I do have a weakness for good dancing. It also doesn't hurt that many of the pro female dancers on Strictly are incredibly sexy...

• Like 1

Though it's not something I'd admit to many male friends, I do have a weakness for good dancing. It also doesn't hurt that many of the pro female dancers on Strictly are incredibly sexy...

And especially don't admit it to your wife.

• Like 2

Mad Men is amazing. I've liked what I've seen of Boardwalk Empire. Ray Donovan has been great so far - I really enjoy it but then again I used to live with one of those Boston fucks. Masters of Sex is wonderful, think Mad Men but more sex and all kinds of social movement going on. Orphan Black was a blast, chick can act her arse off but luckily she has a really nice one and it stays on.

, Due South is my eternal favourite. Great buddy cop comedy-adventure-drama -- a Mountie with a wolf arrives in Chicago searching for his father's killer and ends up teaming up with a Chicago PD detective....

I've never heard of it, and I'm a Chicagoan. I'll have to check it out.

I've never heard of it, and I'm a Chicagoan. I'll have to check it out.

No American I've ever met has (until I put them onto it)... it was mostly popular in the UK in the '90s

TV shows I like to watch or have watched:

The Wire

Breaking Bad

Game of Thrones

the Bridge US

Rectify

True Detective

Line of Duty

The Honourable Lady

The Killing

Borgen

.... yep.

Latest thing I'm watching is The Almighty Johnsons. I'm watching it on Netflix, but its a scyFi network show. Very good, shot inexpensively in Australia, low budget, but more then makes up for it with snappy dialogue and plotting.

The Norse gods have been reincarnated, as mostly powerless mortals. It focuses on a family of brothers, and at 21 the youngest finds out he is Odin. He dies they all die, if he finds and weds the goddess Frig, they all get back full powers. Yet they're living in the real world with various problems. Fun and well written.

A crazy concept done well.

• Like 1

Just saw an interesting hack for Netflix users. Use the google Chrome browser. Download the add-on 'Hola'. It has a 'Select a Country' option which makes the browser reflect being from another country. Then, going to Moreclicks.com you can work the magic. Netflix has different movies for available depending on what country you're in. For example Moreclicks.com shows Frozen is available right now in the Netherlands. So I could set my browser to that and see the movie.

Hack found here. http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_1166_16-awesome-hidden-uses-stuff-you-use-every-day_p3/

Sign in to follow this