Sign in to follow this  
Sebastian

SFQ / SM Compatibility ?

Hey All,

First, let me say that I I do believe in the value of sticking to one lineage. However, with the ideal comes the actual as they say, and a number of us here find ourselves at times overlapping these two popular systems in our practice.

I already had a talk with member "Friend" here, and he told me there were no "counter-flows" or direct qi oppositions between the systems, and that it was quite safe from a high level.That's a good thing.

However, here are other things I found out talking to "Friend" and some others

* The Qi in both lineages has a different vibration. SM has the highest frequency.

* The SFQ MCO with the CD (main practice) doesn't touch the SM qi which is different

* It can be tiring to the body of switching systems, especially high speed / frequency systems like SM and then lower frequency / more physical systems like SFQ. It's like slamming on the brakes.

My question is whether combining these two systems can actually be counter productive ? Assuming that you are meeting daily requirements for each.

* The Qi in both lineages has a different vibration. SM has the highest frequency.

* The SFQ MCO with the CD (main practice) doesn't touch the SM qi which is different

* It can be tiring to the body of switching systems, especially high speed / frequency systems like SM and then lower frequency / more physical systems like SFQ. It's like slamming on the brakes.

in my experience, if an energy is above your own frequency - it's limited to how much you can feel it. So that could be the case with some situations.

Perhaps feel which system resonates best for you and give it a go by itself for a few months or so. Then you might see if there's any improvements over practicing both at the same time.

• Like 1

SFQ doesn't - from my experience I have heard the qigong master say there is no one frequency that is the correct frequency. Also there are different levels of Emptiness - so there's the "void" which is a lower level - but the real Emptiness is the source of all frequencies.

I have studied the concept of frequency in great depth and actually "frequency" itself is a Western concept that is not really accurate when working with yin-yang-Emptiness dynamics.

As for what is more physical - for the Emptiness practice - consider for example the static horse stance which is taught in SFQ - that is an Emptiness practice. You stand at what level you can handle for how much your knees are bent - but sure your legs are going to wobble - but as the Emptiness kicks in more then the stronger the qi gets which then sustains your body more.

That's just one example but the qigong master trained horse stance at Shaolin - doing 2 hours nonstop of steep horse stance with thighs parallel to the ground - with no movement allowed at all -just going into the Emptiness - everyday for 3 months.

So anyway I say just have fun with the practice. the qigong master says it's best not to use your mind to guide the small universe practice - but it's best to let the light guide the movement of the small universe. Obviously that's a higher level or higher frequency if you will - it's just that the source of light as spirit energy is from beyond frequency itself. That concept of frequency is addressed in quantum physics - it's called time-frequency uncertainty or "squeezed light" or Fourier Uncertainty based on a non-commutative math. There's no need to get into the intricacies of what frequency means - I'm just saying that the yin-yang-Emptiness is not based on the standard understanding of frequency.

Stillness-Movement is a complete and very large & deep system by itself. The MCO begins quickly, on its own, and mental dabbling/visualization will only hinder the process. Efficiency of practice includes the whole system.

Do what you want. I don't think you will turn into a frog or anything like that.

• Like 2

Why do you want to learn two systems at once? Why not just one and then, if you either master it (whatever that means) or decide it isn't for you, try the other one?

• Like 1

Great, so I guess no one here seems the association of these as counter-productive ?

Stillness-Movement is a complete and very large & deep system by itself. The MCO begins quickly, on its own, and mental dabbling/visualization will only hinder the process. Efficiency of practice includes the whole system.

Do what you want. I don't think you will turn into a frog or anything like that.

Seems to me when I read "...mental dabbling/visualization will only HINDER the process" there appears to be a bit of counter-production going on. What are you looking for in this question? Either do it or not. Either accept what either system has to say or not. In Stillness-Movement we use NO visualization and NO forced methods. EITHER one of those two things does hinder the process; in other words "counter productive".

To put this is plain terms you would most likely progress faster doing just one of the systems. If you want to practice Stillness-Movement do so - it has more than enough to keep one busy and it is a very efficient system. Doing something else will only take away from you being able to do the entire Stillness-Movement system, which will take away from its inherent efficiency as well as take away the student getting the full benefit from the system.

For an example, I was just asked yesterday by one student who asked me why another student (who we both like and respect) couldn't do a unique to the system specific technique. I replied that the student in question has never embraced the system. While he could do a lot of the techniques and was indeed very good at them, as long as he dabbled in all the other stuff he dabbles in he would never make that final leap into the higher level methods of the system. Too scattered.

Again, do what you want.

• Like 3

I am guilty of this but have finally made a decision to work only with S-M for 100 days to actually give it a chance.

100 days? is that a fair sampling ?

the Tao rewards patience , perseverance, sincerity, resoluteness.

changing schools isnt like trying a new soy sauce is it?

the Wu Chi schools are often over looked, it is a very subtle and supple energy

hard to define, yet a very usable (if to me also an abstract) energy and field

As something of a system flitter myself, I know firsthand how resisting spiritual monogamy in favor of chasing the next new thing can set one back. Don't let the impulse to change things up (because you're anti-authoritarian, or a free spirit, or just deep down scared of where a given system might take you) sabotage your cultivation.

Liminal

Yeah, the 100 days thing I think is just so as to give a person the chance to get a flavor of what a system may do for them. Certainly not long enough to do more than that, but if less than that I think no way to get the flavor. Nothing majical about the figure of "100 days".

• Like 2

There's no need to get into the intricacies of what frequency means -

Its actually quite simple. Frequency refers to the rate of oscillation in a given cycle.

To answer some earlier comments, I'm asking this as a practitioner of both systems..

A strange set of personal circumstances drew me to Master Lin, and Minnesota, so I feel this is my fate.

And my linear practice predates SM. I was curious about SM and joined on the side through the online class and practiced for about 7 months. I definitely saw the value and incredible depth of the system and I have a lot of respect for Yamu. Through these movements, I've had moments of complete weightlessness, walking on clouds, etc, too good to describe.

However, I've recently come to realize what embrace one lineage means, so I had to make some tough decisions about how to split my time. I guess I was trying too hard make these two lineages work together, both which I love, but I don't think you can get away with things like that.

Anyways, yamu's post was really helpful in this thread, think I got all the info I need at this point.

Thanks

yeah I know with SFQ the qigong master has talked about a "Heart to heart" connection with the master or "heart coaching" as the deepest level of learning. So I actually saw the qigong master making "yin spirits" one by one as they were lights shaped like humans coming out of the top of his head, one would break off, float out towards a person needing healing. I told this to the other qigong master and he said that was a very profound level of healing that he was not able to do. So essentially that is what is meant by the "heart to heart" connection - the qigong master actually creates a new yin spirit individualized for the person needing spiritual healing - to I guess replace their old yin spirit or add to it, etc. I suppose that level of healing takes place when people practice on their own if they have great sincerity in their heart-spirit when they call on the master's energy but I think that is more rare.

And most people are not able to discern their own frequencies.

pertaining to which cycles?

Sign in to follow this