dust

Daoist Art

Though this is Dao-related, obviously there is no dedicated art subforum, so I thought this might be the best place to do 2 things: learn something new about Daoist-related art, and show people a bit of my own.

In Beijing last year, I came across the most wonderful painting of a woman riding a tiger:

u_3239832849_1118635389_fm_23_gp_0_by_du

Upon further enquiry, I learned a litle about the story of Wu Cailuan, and discovered that there are so many more wonderful paintings depicting her riding the tiger.

One that I came across that I really love is, apparently, by renowned painter Hua Sanchuan 华三川, though it doesn't look entirely like his normal work:

_________________________by_dustybeijing

It looks like Hua's seals (I don't know what the different seals mean, but these look like the ones on his other works) so I assume it is his work. Either way, I love the peaceful, harmonious feeling, quiet colours, the almost tangibly soft fur of the tiger, and the graceful position of Cailuan herself.

I liked it so much, I did my own (digital) version. I knew that trying to copy the feeling of the original was a fool's errand, so I went for a more limited palette and removed the lush greenery; a kind of yang to the original's yin. It was great fun to work on.

wu_cailuan_rides_a_tiger_into_the_mounta

And so...your turn. What Dao-related art can you recommend?

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 13

I personally prefer the nature scenes where man and his creations are a small and insignificant aspect of the total picture. These pictures, for me, speak tthe truth.

• Like 3

Though this is Dao-related, obviously there is no dedicated art subforum, so I thought this might be the best place to do 2 things: learn something new about Daoist-related art, and show people a bit of my own.

In Beijing last year, I came across the most wonderful painting of a woman riding a tiger:

u=3239832849,1118635389&fm=23&gp=0.jpg

Upon further enquiry, I learned a litle about the story of Wu Cailuan, and discovered that there are so many more wonderful paintings depicting her riding the tiger.

One that I came across that I really love is, apparently, by renowned painter Hua Sanchuan 华三川, though it doesn't look entirely like his normal work:

200642422575621144.jpg

It looks like Hua's seals (I don't know what the different seals mean, but these look like the ones on his other works) so I assume it is his work. Either way, I love the peaceful, harmonious feeling, quiet colours, the almost tangibly soft fur of the tiger, and the graceful position of Cailuan herself.

I liked it so much, I did my own (digital) version. I knew that trying to copy the feeling of the original was a fool's errand, so I went for a more limited palette and removed the lush greenery; a kind of yang to the original's yin. It was great fun to work on.

You made this? Congratulations, you're a skilled artist. What software did you use?

• Like 1

I personally prefer the nature scenes where man and his creations are a small and insignificant aspect of the total picture. These pictures, for me, speak tthe truth.

Yes. Thus far I've only really looked into some of Ma Yuan's stuff, but it is something I want to try. However, it would be beneficial for me to become more competent with traditional materials before wasting reams of paper!

You made this? Congratulations, you're a skilled artist. What software did you use?

Well, thanks :) I used Photoshop, which makes the whole process a lot more fool-proof, if somewhat more clinical.

What I mean is, with a computer one can make a thousand mistakes, and correct them all with no trouble, but there's a relative lack of control and expression which one finds with a real brush or pen....

• Like 1

The link does not show the image, so I found a black and white of the image you posted. Beautiful. (Though, the colored image you originally posted is much better. :))

Yes, I fell in love with it on sight; something about the fierce, protective stance of the tiger and the woman sitting sidesaddle, casually riding along...

That's magnificent, dustybeijing!

Thanks Brian! (are you really a Brian or do you just love Life of Brian?)

really nice.

as i do not use photoshop i am curious as to how you did this.

do you scan an image and then remove what you don't want- change colors etc

or do you draw the images from scratch.

you can see my I Ching paintings here - http://thetaobums.com/topic/34487-i-ching-paintings/

Thanks. I 'painted' from scratch, using an electronic pen. The same process as you might use traditionally -- make a sketch, paint layers over it -- but with the added benefit that you can edit and make changes far more easily than with a real brush and paint.

More recently I've been focusing on traditional calligraphy...perhaps some time I will show that too, though I'm not very confident

Your work is beautiful. I'd post in that topic, but this is my last post of the day (being new to the forum I'm restricted)

I love especially the Yin & Yang, and many of the hexagrams -- the Abysmal, the Joyous, the Clinging... Very striking.

I wonder, do you sell them separately or as a collection?

• Like 1

Yes, I fell in love with it on sight; something about the fierce, protective stance of the tiger and the woman sitting sidesaddle, casually riding along...

Thanks. I 'painted' from scratch, using an electronic pen. The same process as you might use traditionally -- make a sketch, paint layers over it -- but with the added benefit that you can edit and make changes far more easily than with a real brush and paint.

More recently I've been focusing on traditional calligraphy...perhaps some time I will show that too, though I'm not very confident

Your work is beautiful. I'd post in that topic, but this is my last post of the day (being new to the forum I'm restricted)

I love especially the Yin & Yang, and many of the hexagrams -- the Abysmal, the Joyous, the Clinging... Very striking.

I wonder, do you sell them separately or as a collection?

Thanks. I am looking for a gallery or some where i can show them all in sequence. At some point i may have prints made. Also check out the Heaven Series and Bagua series which can be found on the same site

• Like 2

u=3239832849,1118635389&fm=23&gp=0.jpg

200642422575621144.jpg

Yes. Thus far I've only really looked into some of Ma Yuan's stuff, but it is something I want to try. However, it would be beneficial for me to become more competent with traditional materials before wasting reams of paper!

Well, thanks :) I used Photoshop, which makes the whole process a lot more fool-proof, if somewhat more clinical.

What I mean is, with a computer one can make a thousand mistakes, and correct them all with no trouble, but there's a relative lack of control and expression which one finds with a real brush or pen....

I'm an illustrator by profession and make a living by selling them on Shutterstock (http://www.shutterstock.com/gallery-709981p1.html is my portfolio there). It's also something for you to consider, you could earn a very decent living there.

• Like 1

<snip>

<snip>

Both, in fact.

This forum is filled with creativity and nimble minds. :)

Well done to all the art aficionados!

• Like 2

This forum is filled with creativity and nimble minds. :)

Well done to all the art aficionados!

Hooray!

You know, in man is the most terrible and the most beautiful possible, and art is one of the best things that the human being is capable of. Everyone should make art!

:wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 2

Art is a celebratory outlet for the soul. If we can transform even the most mundane activity into an artistic expression, or regard our routines like artists with keen eyes observing every little detail, then the therapeutics of gentle living quietly makes a way into our hearts, throwing open new, meaningful vistas as if curtains are being slowly drawn... just as the sun is coming up over the blue mountains.

• Like 4

I really like some of the depictions of the 8 Immortals. Also, sumi-e in general.

On 28/08/2014 at 9:53 PM, soaring crane said:

@dustybeijing -- this is wonderful stuff, thank you :-)

And I agree, your artwork is top-notch, gorgeous. Do you have more?

You're welcome, and thank you :)

I do have a fair few more art things, but a rather rag-tag collection, and mostly not Dao-related..here is one other Dao-y piece

daoist_sunrise_by_dustybeijing-d7mrz7q.p

(an attempt at depicting the taiji/yinyang symbol...)

On 29/08/2014 at 1:34 PM, beyonder said:

I really like some of the depictions of the 8 Immortals. Also, sumi-e in general.

OK...my only knowledge of the 8 Immortals comes from Jackie Chan movies! I'll have a look for some. Thanks.

Edited by dust
  • Like 3

I love art. I feel that there could be more art-related stuff on TTB...

Calligraphy in both China and Japan has been influenced by Taoism and Chan/Zen, and as an artform can be - in my opinion - a wonderful representation of the harmony / simplicity that many followers of the Way are seeking.

In fact, I believe that practicing calligraphy - as with many other crafts - can be a great aid in achieving stillness of the mind, or perhaps even union with Tao. One doesn't have to learn how to butcher an ox.

treatise.jpg

the great master Huai Su 怀素's Treatise on Calligraphy 論書帖

japanese_saying___ku_areba_raku_ari_by_k

by the wonderfully talented KisaragiChiyo

Japanese saying (proverb)
"Ku areba Raku ari" 『苦あれば、楽あり』
"After all the bad things, good ones come"

• Like 5

Western calligraphy, though beautiful, is generally very stiff and formal. What I love about Chinese calligraphy is that (in some styles) one is allowed to, within certain structural confines, express oneself with vigorous abandon.

by the "Madman" Mi Fu

Mi_Fei_Chan_Chi_Ming_Tie1.jpg

mifu_mingtie05.jpg

http://www.chinaonlinemuseum.com/calligraphy-mi-fu.php

Most of all he valued spontaneity and self-expression, eschewing the contrived and saccharine. Throughout Mi’s life, the workings of a highly individualistic temperament were evident. This was manifested in his fastidious attention to cleanliness, his preference for the clothes of ancient Chinese dynasties, and his love for strange rocks and ink stones, which he collected. Mi Fu was noted as an eccentric, or "Madman Mi (米癲)". He was so obsessed with collecting stones that he even declared one stone to be his brother. Hence he would bow to his "brother" in a display of the filial devotion given to older brothers.

• Like 4

As a lefty, I find traditional calligraphy very hard; the written language has developed based on a majority of left-to-right and top-to-bottom brushstrokes, and with the left hand this involves either 'pushing' the brush (rather than 'pulling' it along) or twisting the hand around in order to be able to 'pull'. It's really awkward. When I was introduced to calligraphy in Beijing the teacher would only let me hold the brush in my right hand, and I did OK, but it's just not the same. My right hand is used to broad and powerful movements, not small delicate ones.

For this reason, I quite enjoy pen calligraphy  硬笔书法, as there's far less need for directional control of the brush tip. Thought I'd post some stuff I found here: http://www.shufawu.com/zp/yb/

162443td0j7j7dta0i2ti0.jpg

Words of a temple inscription (Shixian Temple in Guangdong)

Zhong Jinbo

http://www.shufawu.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=3127

153730yyt6tygr6xq6oopt.jpg

A poem by Qing Yu'an

Lai Xiaobin

http://www.shufawu.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=3115&page=9

1111399o3de3ocfcycgof8.jpg

Part of Laozi ch.8

Pang Zhonghua

http://www.shufawu.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=3113&page=10

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 2

This is fantastic! I love your version! You are incredibly skilled and gifted with this.

A woman with a lion or tiger has a special meaning to me spiritually so that makes it even more awesome.

I just bought a digital tablet and although I've done basic level graphics work for a couple decades off and on I have never done any sketching or much compositing and am hoping to do (mostly the latter) once I figure out more on how, just to get some of the wild wooly world "inside me" to my outside world, which feels like a 'need' for some reason.

One of the things I love about your image is the subtle sense that it is she - and 'they' as a joining -- that actually give a degree of life and color and clarity to the larger world.

Edited by redcairo
  • Like 2