Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Windows 8.1

I still have not figured out the problem: I cannot copy/paste or quote posts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I just sent this to another member today...

I'm guessing it has Windows 8.1 installed on it and that you are using the native Internet Explorer (IE 11) which comes with that operating system.

The version of software that TheTaoBums uses on its web server is out of date and has a known bug which causes this behavior. Basically, the problem is that it can't take a "rich-text paste" from IE 11 and the quote button is really just an automated cut & paste. At some point, I assume Sean will update the "Community Forum Software by IP Board" from version 3.4.1 to the current 3.4.5 -- we are four versions behind...

Two options for you...

One is to temporarily turn off the "rich-text" functionality before quoting or pasting. The little button in the top-left of the text-entry window (next to the "Remove Format" button which looks like a tube of lipstick but is supposed to be an eraser) toggles between rich-text and plain-text. Be aware that clicking the button causes the cursor to lose focus (leaving the text box when switching to plain-text and jumping to the very beginning of the post when switching to rich-text) so you'll want to make sure you know where your cursor is before pasting. Also, all of the "rich-text features" can still be used in plain-text mode but you have to actually enter the HTML codes to use them (and they don't show up unless you preview or post or switch back to rich-text. You can see the underlying codes (which is what the little buttons actually do) by using some of those features in a post and then toggling to plain-text. For instance this is italicized.

That's the approach I use.

The other option is to install a different web browser which doesn't manifest this problem. I have Firefox installed, too, and I know it works in this regard. I just don't like it, though, so I use the method above instead.

There's a third option, I guess -- don't quote or paste until the server is updated. That's probably not the most attractive solution, though!

Hope this helps!

Brian

• Like 2

At some point, I assume Sean will update the "Community Forum Software by IP Board" from version 3.4.1 to the current 3.4.5 -- we are four versions behind...

In ACP, it shows that we can upgrade to 3.4.6. I have been talking to Sean about this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I have used Firefox on my other computer and never had a problem with it although I agree that it's not all that pretty. I will likely install it on this computer a little later and see what happens.

In ACP, it shows that we can upgrade to 3.4.6. I have been talking to Sean about this.

Ha! Norton wouldn't allow Firefox to install. I talked to someone I know who is a computer nerd and he recommended Pale Moon.

I installed it and am using it now. Quoting seems to work fine.

Let's see: copy/paste. Test:

"Try Chrome browser instead of IE ... in fact anything instead of IE."

That seems to work too. Now to post and see what happens.

There are many cool things about Chrome. You can look up guides on how to make Chrome "faster," AdBlock Plus is pretty awesome, I had to supplement the in-built Google Translate feature with a plugin as it didn't auto-translate everything. I also use the Google Voice plugin so I can send SMS messages typed on the keyboard.

<--- Chrome fanboy

My buddy said that it was created by a number of ex-Firefox programmers who didn't like the path Firefox was travelling. And considering the Norton disallowed installation of Firefox but allowed Pale Moon tells me something.

I can't imagine why anyone pays for the behemoth, service and memory devouring Nortons which I have heard so many complain about... when there are free ones like Avast, AVG, etc.

Glad it's working... Pale Moon fanboy :)

I am also a Chrome fanboy but it seems to run into issues once too many windows are open... so many processes running too.

• Like 1

That's a sweetheart deal between them. From my experience as a Comcast tech support agent Norton can be detrimental to many users' computers. Norton and McAfee are both dung to be scraped from a user's machine.

Yeah, Comcast did have McAfee as a free virus protection when I first contracted with Comcast. But then, whatever the reason, they switched to Norton but still free.

I have always used Norton products from back in the MS DOS days. And always enjoyed the products I bought (or stole). I still have my Norton Commander DOS here in the house somewhere.

• Like 2

Well, setting up this new computer, the only program it would install was Office 97.

The good thing is that I now have a really fast computer for internet operations.

I can play my music though. I have been listening to some one-hit wonders from the DooWop era. Great music that stuff is!

Sign in to follow this