Marblehead

Sorry Folks

No, I haven't gone away. Too bad, what?

My old computer broke badly enough to not want to be repaired so I have bought a new one. I'm working on getting it set up now. I will be back to normal soon.

• Like 3

I bought a Dell with Windows 8 on it. What a headache! But time a devotion will make it nice.

I have Win 8.1 on my ultrabook and love it. Does your Dell have a touch screen? You do have 8.1, I presume (if not, update now).

• Like 1

I hate Windows 8 ... I have a lap top with it pre-installed. All I ever use is the desktop but those damn tiles keep appearing. Luckily most of the time I'm on my Mac mini which is the bestest.

• Like 1

is it win 8.1? They fixed many issues (win 8.0 is a disaster). And it really only makes sense with a touchscreen. Win 7 is on my standard laptop and I wouldn't even consider 'updating'.

• Like 1

I recommend Ubuntu to those of you who don't need and/or don't like Windows. Or have both systems installed.

When I first bought the windows laptop I was going to put Ubuntu on it but they had changed the BIOs to something else which made the install tricky so I gave up.

I hate Windows 8 ... I have a lap top with it pre-installed. All I ever use is the desktop but those damn tiles keep appearing. Luckily most of the time I'm on my Mac mini which is the bestest.

You know the Windows key on the keyboard toggles between tiles & desktop, right? There's also a setting to make the OS default to the Desktop if you'd prefer.

Soaring Crane said: (I couldn't quote this post for whatever the reason.)

Well shit! I can't cut and paste either!

It has Ver. 8.1 on it. I already had a good Dell monitor for it so no touch screen.

I have always used the Classic View for Desktop and all folders so this is a new experience for me.

Edited by Marblehead

You know the Windows key on the keyboard toggles between tiles & desktop, right? There's also a setting to make the OS default to the Desktop if you'd prefer.

In Windows 8.1, click the Taskbar (horizontal bat at the bottom of the screen where the icons for running applications as such appear) and select "Properties." Then click on the Navigation tab. The second section is "Start screen" and the first checkbox is "Go to the desktop instead of Start when I sign in".

In Windows 8.1, click the Taskbar (horizontal bat at the bottom of the screen where the icons for running applications as such appear) and select "Properties." Then click on the Navigation tab. The second section is "Start screen" and the first checkbox is "Go to the desktop instead of Start when I sign in".

Seems I'm on 8.0 so went to download 8.1 and it switched to a green screen with a shopping bag on it three times then switched immediately to desktop. On fourth attempt it opened the shop and I clicked download to don't how long it will take.

Doesn't work with 8.0, as you found (although 8.0 Enterprise defaulted there automatically...)

There are some download tools to make 8.0 default to the Desktop or you can create a scheduled task which does the switch as soon as you log in. The most clever solution I've seen, though, is to move the Desktop tile on the Metro interface (the "tiles screen") into the top-left corner so that it is the first tile. Because Metro is waiting for you to type something (which works brilliantly, BTW -- try typing the name of the program you want to open and see how it functions!) and because the focus begins on that top-left tile, you can then simply hit the Enter key to switch to the Desktop.

Seems I'm on 8.0 so went to download 8.1 and it switched to a green screen with a shopping bag on it three times then switched immediately to desktop. On fourth attempt it opened the shop and I clicked download to don't how long it will take.

8.1 is a huge download, but worth it.

I would downgrade to win7 (and was in the process of doing just that) before working with 8.0.

I like my Mac mini but its 2 or 3 generations old. I'm waiting for the new version to come out. The nice thing is its so small I'll attach it to my TV and wallah, a great entertainment system.

Yeah, the Apple II series was so easy to operate.

It had a tenth of a second boot up speed as I recall. In some ways tech has been going backwards.

And who needs upper And lower case letters anyway?

• Like 2

i have a canadian friend who only uses lower case letters. but i think he's just feeling too driven when he's writing to bother with hitting the shift key. (he's an aries sun sign.)

It had a tenth of a second boot up speed as I recall. In some ways tech has been going backwards.

My Lenovo yoga is instant-on, instant-off with win 8.1 (not sure how much a role the ssd plays in that)

• Like 1

Same with my Dell XPS. A cold-start takes about five seconds and recovering from hibernation happens as fast as the screen can light up.

Well, if I live long enough I'm sure I will learn to enjoy working with Windows 8.1.

And yes, the Apple II series booted very fast from cold start; loaded whatever operating system you were going to use into memory and it was hot to go from that point on. But those were the old days. I have to keep up with the advances(?) in technology.