Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

Stance Competition!

I recently tried this with some folks, and I think it could be amusing:

Stance competition (timed)

-choose stance, describe it concisely, or vid yourself doing it, then time yourself in the stance using a stopwatch, then submit the time here and see who can beat you...

Stances:

-Horse

-Wall sits

These ones are self explanatory, but I want to open the available options up to others, like single leg poses.

The thing is that the architecture must have exact angles to compare - so the rules and structure must first be established...

So joint angles must be precisely noted, widths of foot distance...also you must log your weight, and height.

There are many factors to consider for it to be a fair assessment.

For example, in Olympic power lifting, taller individuals get a 1.2x advantage, due to lever length, distance from the moment arm, etc.

It would also be useful to track times on a regular basis to motivate, not only through competition, but also public posting.

I know that by my very posting of this, that it will encourage me to do more stances.

Competition is good if done correctly...safely and with non-attachment...

Who wants to compete?

I bet Protector wants to compete in Horse Stance!

Edited by Songtsan

There can be only one...

I don't what to say, except that yeah - that's da troof!

EDIT:

OK:

Horse stance....feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart, legs slightly higher than parallel to the ground (for me because I have herniated discs) about 2-4 degrees...

arms held at shoulder height, holding a beach ball....

I will do this later today...and last about 2 minutes if that..

Then I will do Wall-sits, which are more supported for my bad back...and time that....

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 1

Honest GMP Bookmakers ( The Olde Firm).

Place your bets.

Sporting Odds....

Horse Stance to win: 13-8 on.

Wall Sits to win: 5-1

Draw: Evens.

Half time score odds...

Horse Stance leads: 13-8 on.

Wall Sits leads: 3-1

Submissions odds (prior to final whistle and excludes any 'injury time')

Horse Stance Submits: 100-1

Wall Sits Submits: 15-8 on.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I don't what to say, except that yeah - that's da troof!

EDIT:

OK:

Horse stance....feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart, legs slightly higher than parallel to the ground (for me because I have herniated discs) about 2-4 degrees...

arms held at shoulder height, holding a beach ball....

I will do this later today...and last about 2 minutes if that..

Then I will do Wall-sits, which are more supported for my bad back...and time that....

That's a pretty narrow horse stance for going that low :P I would recommend you try a wider base so that the knees don't go over the toes.

• Like 1

That's a pretty narrow horse stance for going that low :P I would recommend you try a wider base so that the knees don't go over the toes.

I agree with this. I wasn't sure if I was reading the description correctly. Someone needs a fatter horse :ph34r:

I've been doing a lot of standing for quite a while ago. Never thought of it as a competition. I think experience should be factored into the standings -- the more you have, the longer you have to go :)

I did a session of wall sit using a slightly wider than shoulder width (~3 feet)..

made 1:54 - about as predicted...

Every day! From now on.

I will put this in my PPF of course, but I do think that competition could help some who don't have the intrinsic motivation, but could rely on other ego-based motivations....

My goal in this thread was to both create a competitive focused challenge to encourage those, like me, who are suffering from depression, lack of motivation, etc. and don't have the natural inclination or willpower to do these things on their own.

If I even find one other person to compete with, then I will have a virtual work-out partner.

I am also working on self-sourcing too.

This is a two-pronged approach.

Engage group-mind encouragement, plus engage own self encouragement. Also, accept encouragment from above of course.

• Like 2

100% perfectly aligned horse stance: time 12.3 seconds.

I remember going for my green belt (in ancient history) and having to display a perfect zenkutzu dashi - the last stance of the exam kata. The instructor / inspector was a a German heavily trained and tortured in Japan ('tortured' for not being Japanese) we used to joke that he would bring a protractor, level and dividers one day to training.

Anyway, I was last in line so had plenty of time to go over myself and align everything up .. eventually, my turn, he must have had done three circuits of me ... and, being used to having the 'wrong' bit whacked, each time he went around the back <_< ... eventually he picked me up as the fist on my hip had the thumb joints not exactly at 90 degrees :rolleyes:

(Seems weird since they didnt even know why the other hand kept always 'having' to retract to the hip anyway :D )

• Like 1

:D

I mean; it seems like ancient history now

not that I got a green belt in ancient history :)

• Like 1

The instructor / inspector was a a German heavily trained and tortured in Japan ('tortured' for not being Japanese) we used to joke that he would bring a protractor, level and dividers one day to training.

Being an American with a daughter in German school (9th form "Grammar School", the most academic/challenging of the three systems here) and knowing how incredibly hard she works at it, it's always frustrating seeing her tests and reports come back filled with red ink after correcting, and with rarely better than an average grade. For the first four years, the kiddies aren't allowed to write with anything other than a fountain pen, and no correcting allowed. The penmanship in the first form was more strictly graded than the academic subjects in my US high school.

Regarding the competition, I like the word 'challenge' better, or 'remote group training', or somethihng like that? That makes more sense to me :)

45 minutes standing yesterday evening -- after about ten minutes of arm swinging and leg circling exercises: 15 minutes Wuji; 15 minutes Metal posture (holding ball in front of chest, legs in Wuji posture, it's really just a variaiton on Wuji); 15 minutes Fire posture (hands raise from chest to hairline, also just a variation on Wuji); then three or so minutes hands on LDT; finished with extremely slow 'qi games' and slef-massage ....

I don't do horse stance or any really deep postures. I hold specific one-legged postures to open my Fanhuangong sessions, and practice staff-holding, bow stance sometimes. The most intense posture for me is still Wuji.

• Like 1

how does one correctly place their arms in horse stance?

at about 2 minutes in he does horse stance but his hands move. Im guessing it is the first way with the fists

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

how does one correctly place their arms in horse stance?

at about 2 minutes in he does horse stance but his hands move. Im guessing it is the first way with the fists

heavy-duty stuff, there!

For mere mortals like us (or anyone else), there is no one way. There are many variations on the theme(s), each with its own unique effect on the practitioner. One thing to watch is the palms and the direction they face. Rule of thumb: hands turned toward body warms and builds up energy; hands turned away from body cools and releases excess. Fists close Laogong, stopping flow, building power; palms together are completing a closed circuit... Every school has its special, esoteric techniques and methods and the postures will always be part of a bigger system. Out of the context of the complete system, the effect will be different.

• Like 1

I just tried low horse stance doing a crucifix hold with a 10lb dumbbell in each hand. Ie: Arms straight as possible out to the side.

I was raising energy up my spine to help. Felt like my spine was on fire after about 20sec. It seems like a supercharged exercise. I wouldn't want to do it that much for fear of damaging something.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to do it that much for fear of damaging something.

I think thats a very wise conclusion :-)

A couple hours ago, I had to wait 45 minutes for my daughter's piano lesson, which takes place in the basement of a very nice Catholic church in the next town over. It was raining outside so I just hung out in the foyer with my dog (the dog doesn't like the rain, haha) and took the opportunity to stand Wuji. There's a full-length mirror and I was standing about seven meters from it, looking at myself (and my dog sitting next to me). After twenty miuntes, the piano teacher came up to use the toilet and interrupted me, but I went back to it after he left.

The mirror made it interesting. First, simply as a way to keep track of my posture and my level of relaxation, especially my face/forehead/smile, and second, well, some weird stuff started happening, stuff that involved being transported through the mirror ...

• Like 1

I agree with this. I wasn't sure if I was reading the description correctly. Someone needs a fatter horse :ph34r:

I've been doing a lot of standing for quite a while ago. Never thought of it as a competition. I think experience should be factored into the standings -- the more you have, the longer you have to go :)

I never let my knees go over the toes....but I will try wider...I have almost perfect squat technique and lunge technique, but I can't say I have been shown perfect horse stance up close...I'll google the exact specifications

I never let my knees go over the toes....but I will try wider...I have almost perfect squat technique and lunge technique, but I can't say I have been shown perfect horse stance up close...I'll google the exact specifications

Tbh, you'd be best served by first learning correct Wuji posture, and then bringing a variety of arm positionsinto it. Wide mabu involves more than just copying a posture. There are internal dynamics that have to develop over time. The same dynamics are component parts of Wuji, too, but more gentle.

• Like 1

My contribution;), Technique-wise, I refer to my post in the Taoist discussion sub, and look for the tiger stance post. Got interrupted with compassion by my son.

Edited by hagar
  • Like 1

Tbh, you'd be best served by first learning correct Wuji posture, and then bringing a variety of arm positionsinto it. Wide mabu involves more than just copying a posture. There are internal dynamics that have to develop over time. The same dynamics are component parts of Wuji, too, but more gentle.

I know. I am looking for a teacher...but I will continue to read books and watch youtube videos until then......I am limited by what's around me though.

I am planning on going to a Wushu/gongfu school and studying Preying Mantis gongfu here: http://www.rochesterkungfu.com/cms/?q=node/6

• Like 1

That is why I think the wall sit technique is a good one to challenge among here...the posture is easier and requires less knowledge...it's easier to set up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_sit

I just alter it slightly by holding my arms out at shoulder level, parallel to the floor, holding a beach ball....my legs always fail first, so it just adds some extra shoulder burn

• Like 1

Using this format, http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Horse-Stance-in-Kung-Fu I clocked in 45 seconds

I did about a minute more but I was shaking for most of that minute. It's a bit of a waste of time, but a fun waste of time.

What is good is going down bit by bit and having someone push on you to see if you can take the force onto your whole structure. There's a point where you go too low and you collapse under the pressure. Here you find your deficiencies.

What is more beneficial is doing a high stance for a long time. If you get to the 1 hour mark then things start happening. Between 1 and 2 hours without moving seems good for me. Not that I often have the time to do it though.

• Like 2

I stand at about 10-15 degress knee bend often throughout the day, whenever I find myself standing....

exercise science says that when doing isometric contractions, there is a strength gain within ~ 15 degrees of the joint angle...

Of course there are supposed psychic benefits to maintaining standing post etc. which have to do with overriding the executive governor...

I aim to train from parallel to quarter squat.

I am going to buy a 100 lb weight vest one of these days....

In any event, I try to always go to failure - where I basically can't hold myself up and sink down to the ground, when doing the parallel to the ground stances...haven't done that yet with the quarter squat, but I have been meaning to.

I was staying at a homeless shelter a few months ago, and I started a wall sit contest - offering $5 to whoever could do it the longest....3 people competed...it was entertaining...

Edited by Songtsan

I did wall sit for 1 min 32 sec. Think I can do better another day, tired legs

How about planks? I think most people know that one and pretty simple.

http://m.wikihow.com/Perform-the-Plank-Exercise

First way on elbows I did 2 min 7 sec.

Good idea...

I will have to try

my wall sit today was 1:47...but I didn't warm up or feel that 'drive' energy, it was a 'cold' wall-sit...

also, when my legs start shaking and wobbling, I might sink an inch or two, then have to use the quads to push back up to proper position, which might be something I should iron out....next time I will make sure I don't sink accidentally through being unawares..

Sign in to follow this