Satya

Best Massagers/Rollers/Balls/Scratchers/Mats/Acupressure/Qi Release-Tools? And self/partner massage resources/books/sites/references?

Hello,

I'm looking for some decent self (and for others sometimes, but mainly for selfish old me at the moment ;) ) massagers, rollers, balls, scratchers, massaging tools, acupressure tools, and resources/books/sites/references/materials/manuals to help open and stimulate acupressure points, release stagnant chi, etc. I'm guessing manuals can help highlight where to focus, but also logically if you just do your whole outer body then you've literally covered all bases. :)

Any brands/models/sources etc that you have found to be effective and reliable. I'd like to hear your experiences too, how they've helped/what they've done, etc. Whatever tools work, but in particular one thing I am specifically looking for (in addition to all massage tools) is something that I can use to massage/apply pressure to those odd few points that are difficult to reach, so something like a back scratcher but that can be used for massage.

I searched the threads and there are a few different ones for different stuff, but none that covered all of these things and thought that it would be a useful thread to have for everyone to share massage, self massage resources/experiences.

So far I've come across bongers (haha, brilliant name) and some chi rollers.

There are also these threads: http://thetaobums.com/topic/5376-massage-101/page-2

http://thetaobums.com/topic/764-chi-rollers/?hl=rollers

http://thetaobums.com/topic/230-chikung-trinkets-in-china/?hl=rollers

but nothing that covers this topic globally.

• Like 1

rumble roller and rumble roller brand massage balls, so awesome! ;) Expensive but so worth it!

Looks perfect. :)

From the writings it seems to be designed for primarily deep tissue/physical body stuff. Has it benefitted clearing energy blockage issues too? Could you give accounts of how it's helped physically and energetically?

Due to the bumps they actually get exact points :). Tightness and/or pain blocks energy... release that and the energy can move again.

• Like 2

u2OmNyV.jpg

Best thing I have found so far for the back. Takes some time to go deep and direct skin contact.

I've got one under the name Spoonk. I love it. It has 1,000's of small knobby spikes. It quickly 'teaches' you to lie perfectly still. I don't know too much about acupressure, but at the end of lying down, your back is full of little indentations from all the spikes. Once you get used to it, its actually feels good. I got mine at Whole Foods, but you can find'em cheaper on the internet.

• Like 1

rumble roller and rumble roller brand massage balls, so awesome! ;) Expensive but so worth it!

I've never used one of these before. Would you recommend the firm or the original?

I'm just thinking that if the original gets "too tame" (haha) that i'll have an unusable/neglected original.

• Like 1

I've never used one of these before. Would you recommend the firm or the original?

I'm just thinking that if the original gets "too tame" (haha) that i'll have an unusable/neglected original.

I thought that too, and now regret my decision lol, poor innocent back. I just wear a jacket when using it until I get used to it. If you go buy one in person they will let you try both out :).

• Like 1

I thought that too, and now regret my decision lol, poor innocent back. I just wear a jacket when using it until I get used to it. If you go buy one in person they will let you try both out :).

Haha, great frugal minds think alike (I think frugality is an important precept from at least one Tradition).

Do you think that a slightly softer one may retain use for more sensitive areas perhaps? Or maybe a general, quick, whole body acupressure application (as opposed to working out specific knots and tension)? If one becomes accustomed to it and upgrades to the firm?

Haha, great frugal minds think alike (I think frugality is an important precept from at least one Tradition).

Do you think that a slightly softer one may retain use for more sensitive areas perhaps? Or maybe a general, quick, whole body acupressure application (as opposed to working out specific knots and tension)? If one becomes accustomed to it and upgrades to the firm?

I feel that they have a different definition of "soft" than I do ;). I think the "soft" one would last you a good couple of years. This is coming from someone who felt that massage therapists never pressed hard enough until deep tissue massage came into fashion. Though if you work out a lot, and work your back, and do martial arts, and don't have any chronic back problems, yours may take the more firm version. Do a search for rumble roller online... some funny posts about them on the weightlifting forums! I think the consensus is hard=ouch lol. Perhaps a short one of each density? I think the "soft" would be good for 6 months to a year...

• Like 1

I think I'm gonna go with an original for now.

I do some muscle work, but as of yet nothing martial.

Some seem to say that they use their original after upgrading to the firm, for more sensitive areas for ages afterwards. :)

I'll let you know how I get on, unless I paralyse myself by hitting a spinal nerve from using this roller.

Edited by Satya

I bought the original - blue - rumble roller - after about 2 years i decided to get the firm black model.

There is a big difference - glad i started out with the blue.

Recently i hurt my back so i went back to the blue for a while - today back to black.

Best if you can try them out in person - no store had them where I live

u2OmNyV.jpg

Best thing I have found so far for the back. Takes some time to go deep and direct skin contact.

I'm interested by the acupressure mat principle, but a lot of these seem to be made out of ABS and I'm dubious about shoving ABS plastic (that contains styrene, a carcinogen) into my skin. I wonder if one with wooden disks exists, or how hard it would be to make one/have one made?

I could be over-thinking it, but also there's a long history of man made compounds that we get exposed to that eventually are found out to be toxic.

I bought the original - blue - rumble roller - after about 2 years i decided to get the firm black model.

There is a big difference - glad i started out with the blue.

Recently i hurt my back so i went back to the blue for a while - today back to black.

Best if you can try them out in person - no store had them where I live

Ok. No stores with them around here. Also, I'm not used to any kind of deep tissue, so, from what you BKA and various online reviews have said, the original seems like a good bet. :)

Got the blue rumble roller. Really good. A weird combo of nice and pain whilst applying it, haha, but afterwards it's brilliant. Like it wakes up your nerves, as well as releasing tension. Good call BKA.