Apech

Sea plankton have been found on the outside of the International Space Station

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/aug/21/sea-plankton-have-been-found-on-the-international-space-station-but-how-did-they-get-there

Sea plankton have been found on the outside of the International Space Station, a Russian news agency reports.

Itar-Tass says scientists on the space station, whose first component was launched into orbit in 1998, found the plankton – a source of food to many sea creatures – when taking samples from the windows (or “illuminators”).

• Like 2

Well ..... when one of the re entry craft returns to earth, they land in the ocean ... and there is this big splash and ....

• Like 1

"Russian cosmonaut Vladimir Solovyev says the plankton were blown up into space by air currents on earth"

I would accept this as likely.

"Russian cosmonaut Vladimir Solovyev says the plankton were blown up into space by air currents on earth"

I would accept this as likely.

but but..there is no air in space no?

but but..there is no air in space no?

Almost none. True that is. However, there are some species of life that can remain domant for years or tens of years and when conditions are right they come to life. Life in many of the world's deserts are like this. Even the Atacama desert, the driest desert on the planet, has life on the bottom side of rocks that lie on the surface.

Life is a truely amazing process.

• Like 1

Plankton is actively trying to take over the world. I saw it on a documentary on The Cartoon Network.

He's trying to steal the Krabby Patty recipe, too.

• Like 1

I think I found a picture of the plankton they are talking about:

Mr._Plankton..png

Or maybe that's just the plankton I was talking about...

Almost none. True that is. However, there are some species of life that can remain domant for years or tens of years and when conditions are right they come to life. Life in many of the world's deserts are like this. Even the Atacama desert, the driest desert on the planet, has life on the bottom side of rocks that lie on the surface.

Life is a truely amazing process.

Life/nature is the only process. it is inescapable. there is no such a thing as unliving. even dead things spawn life (regardless of how 'gross' or putrid).

There is no inanimate anything. on the micro-scale thre are billions of trillions of tiny whizzing particles orbiting atoms of the structures of so-called "inanimate objects" AND on the macro-scale they are friggin flying around the universe in various orbits.

There is no non-life or death, only contrasts to various frequencies OF life.

That being said, have you SEEN the space whales?!? Majestic as fuck.

• Like 1

Ever wonder what happened to these guys ?

sea_monkeysAmazing.jpg

(

When space ships fly into space (to transport parts from a space station there), they have to fly through the complete earth atmosphare... :rolleyes:

)

$_35.JPG

.... " space ready " ;)

Edited by Nungali

Aha! A job (finally ) for the Gallician space programme !

I hope the space barnacles will work in a similar way as earth ones ... as filter feeders .. we need them !

Space junk;

space-debris-I.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

next up: Space barnicals on the sides of the space station.

already :

" The only problem is that the Russians’ American ISS roommates from NASA don’t seem to agree with the assessment that there’s some sort of microscopic space barnacles clinging to their orbiting home."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2014/08/21/nasa-russia-squabble-over-international-space-station-sea-plankton-claim/

... and also

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Space_barnacles

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Even a 'Moss Pig' " can withstand temperatures from just above absolute zero to well above the boiling point of water, pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space. They can go without food or water for more than 10 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce."

space pig ?

tardigrades_in_space.jpg

• Like 2