eye_of_the_storm

Ayn Rand on Israel and the Middle East

Sorry Ayn, "any private citizen that resorts to force is a monster" simply means you do not understand the full context. Any state that murders for resources or intimidation is a monster - so in response to such monstrous things, how does the private citizen take such things? Prone? Gtfo.

The way I see history writ large is that the jews were driven out of there centuries upon centuries ago, and the more recent inhabitants are pissed about "their land" getting straight up annexed.

Then the context of the story gets changed to "should israel have a right to exist" like that is even a fundamental question to begin with.

Should banks have rights to steal money and subvert governments? Is the more appropriate answer. The only side that really "wins" wars is the connected bystander that finances both sides of it.

Bringing that up to present day, one looks at how the map has changed over there in the last few decades and there is little wonder that the locals are pissed about an entity having been installed there that has preposterously superior firepower, and it well appears that the juxtaposition is being used by the leaders of both sides of it to further their own little goals, and it aint the palestinians who are winning that one.

I have no problem with Israelis just as I have no problem with americans in general or brits or aussies, chinese, whomever. But what the respective governments do...

...and there is no wonder that some people talk about anarchy, because if the rules are only going to be for some and not others, the some get a little resentful of that.

Hey Phil, I've got that same microphone. Elvis used the same one, too :lol:

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 3

Note that "Ayn Rand" = Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum = Russian Jewish bourgeois

...who are often not known for their fondness of their sibling rival Arabs...

RISHON LEZION Israel (Reuters) - Israeli police on Sunday blocked more than 200 far-right Israeli protesters from rushing guests at a wedding of a Jewish woman and Muslim man as they shouted "death to the Arabs" in a sign of tensions stoked by the Gaza war.

2014-08-18T000433Z_404986003_GM1EA8I0MAR

Protesters, many of them young men wearing black shirts, denounced Malka, who was born Jewish and converted to Islam before the wedding, as a "traitor against the Jewish state," and shouted epithets of hatred toward Arabs including "death to the Arabs." They sang a song that urges, "May your village burn down."

2014-08-17T234820Z_264095701_GM1EA8I0L58

Malka's father, Yoram Malka, said on Israeli television he objected to the wedding, calling it "a very sad event." He said he was angry that his daughter had converted to Islam. Of his now son-in-law, he said, "My problem with him is that he is an Arab."

...or Chinese...

Chinese workers at a company in Israel have been forced to agree not to have sex with or marry Israelis as a condition of getting a job.

According to a contact they are required to sign, male workers may not have any contact with Israeli women - including prostitutes, a police spokesman, Rafi Yaffe, said.

The labourers are also forbidden from engaging in any religious or political activity. The contract states that offenders will be sent back to China at their own expense.

...or Blacks...

Some 70 South Sudanese teenagers now call Kampala their home after they were deported from — or voluntarily left — Israel, which is trying to rid itself of tens of thousands of African migrants. In recent years Africans have poured into Israel, causing friction with locals and alarming some authorities who say Israel's Jewish character is threatened by the presence of the Africans.

But thankfully it's all sanctioned & ordained by the great Yahweh/Enlil!!! Amen!

• Like 1

Ayn Rand's dead and buried along with her philosophy.

She was one of Margaret Thatcher's favourite thinkers.

Anyone else ever waded through ' Atlas Shrugged' ?

Edited by GrandmasterP

I must admit to having "waded" through Atlas Shrugged.

The third and final part of the filmed version will be out soon. Enjoy. :D

Yep, saw that online.

Heck of a project to film I imagine, that was a huge book.

I've been surprised how Rand pops up on forums now and again after all these years.

On paper some of her stuff looks OK but in practice ,which we endured here to an extent under Thatcher; it's a recipe for further privileging the already privileged at the expense of those less well placed financially and societally.

She lacked compassion IMO.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 4

Take away the skimming and rigging at the top and the ideas are sound - the ideas just have no way to counter the operations already in place, though.

• Like 1

Ayn Rand is a libertarian hero here in the US of A and many spout her stuff like they would the four gospels. From what I gathered her philosophy comes down to, "Everything sucks, work REALLY hard, fuck everyone else."

Yeh, many cult "heroes" today are... @_@

So how is US foreign policy today... ha

I wonder who is pulling those strings...

Much of the misery in the world today can be traced back to that

Yep, saw that online.

Heck of a project to film I imagine, that was a huge book.

I've been surprised how Rand pops up on forums now and again after all these years.

On paper some of her stuff looks OK but in practice ,which we endured here to an extent under Thatcher; it's a recipe for further privileging the already privileged at the expense of those less well placed financially and societally.

She lacked compassion IMO.

She did indeed lack compassion and hers was a philosophy of "rational self-interest." As a trade unionist this would not appeal to you GP. However her philosophy is very far from dead I assure you and you may expect both her name and philosophy to continue popping up. I must admit to having enjoyed both Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead enormously and one thing you can give Ms Rand credit for - boring she aint.

• Like 1

Not mine.

But you do reserve the right to be wrong Marblehead and you also reserve the right to change your mind. :P

• Like 1

"Libertarians" here in the UK are very different to those in the USA.

Our academic 'Libertarians' began life as members of an outfit called the ' Revolutionary Communist Party'.

Truly odd people.

Thatcher spoke about " Enlightened self interest" and in doing so was not a million miles away from Ayn Rand.

I found Atlas Shrugged to be hard going although cannot but admire the sheer effort that obviously went into writing it.

Edited by GrandmasterP