Sign in to follow this  
Magnatolia

Any advice on kundalini yoga experience?

Hi guys,

For anyone who's done kundalini yoga, I was hoping to get some feedback. I noticed several times my feet would begin to massively tingle like pins and needles but maybe not as 'prickly'. I'd sit with it but because I was sitting on my heels I assumed I was cutting the circulation so I would stop and get off my feet to let the blood recirculate. I did notice though that when I did this the sensation went away within 1-2 seconds which is not normally the case when your foot 'falls asleep'. I also noticed when my arms were above my head that this would happen, and I assumed because the shoulders move in towards the neck that this was restricting the blood flow.

The yoga teacher advised me that this was pretty normal and was actually just the energy moving in my body from the kundalini yoga practices I was doing.

Has anyone had or has heard about this experience?

Oh and I sit on my foot constantly at home and the worst thing that happens is the top of it goes a bit numb, but I don't normally get pins and needles.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

For anyone who's done kundalini yoga, I was hoping to get some feedback. I noticed several times my feet would begin to massively tingle like pins and needles but maybe not as 'prickly'. I'd sit with it but because I was sitting on my heels I assumed I was cutting the circulation so I would stop and get off my feet to let the blood recirculate. I did notice though that when I did this the sensation went away within 1-2 seconds which is not normally the case when your foot 'falls asleep'. I also noticed when my arms were above my head that this would happen, and I assumed because the shoulders move in towards the neck that this was restricting the blood flow.

The yoga teacher advised me that this was pretty normal and was actually just the energy moving in my body from the kundalini yoga practices I was doing.

Has anyone had or has heard about this experience?

Oh and I sit on my foot constantly at home and the worst thing that happens is the top of it goes a bit numb, but I don't normally get pins and needles.

Thanks!

It sounds like your teacher is just taking credit for what you rightfully assumed in the first place.

It does not sound like anything having to do with kundalini energy.

Edit: i have experienced what you have addressed here and I am quite familiar with kundalini from experience - but if you respect your teacher it may well be that they are correct.

Edited by Spotless

Thanks for the reply. I don't know her well enough yet but it was definitely a different experience to normal pins and needles. I also had it today when I was lieing down for a tibetan bowl meditation and there was no constriction although the feeling wasn't as intense.

Pins and needles are from blood flow changes.

What you are describing seems more like slight nerve pinch sensations.

Then again - it is amazing how some people feel things in areas or in ways that are entirely foreign to the vast majority of us in the vary same practice.

Also the use of the term Kundalini varies greatly.

It is interesting to look up Qi, Prana and Kundalini - some consider them all the same thing and you may wish to ask your teacher from what point of view they teach. Obviously there is the "it all just energy" point of view but that is usually one of two "views":

It is a "view" one can use when a student is over thinking everything, and it is a view one can use when a teacher has no clue what they are talking about.

I have met only one teacher that seemed to have a grasp of the fine points of kundalini, it was many years ago and the teaching was very subtle and energy actively controlled in rarified portions. It was not Kundalini yoga..

Edited by Spotless

Kundalini yoga is not to be messed with in any way as is often prevalent with the attempted and westernized money making ventures related to same; I would only study same under the guidance and direction of a Self-realized master. (which are not found in every other street corner yoga studio in the united states where fantastical teaching claims tend to be made, in fact I'd say there are extremely few such masters in the entire world and they would never make a public scene about such)

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this