niveQ

Carbohydrates.

I was talking to a friend who is into Ayurveda and owns an Indian supermarket in Boulder. He said its important that I add carbohydrates to my diet. He recommended steel cut oats.

My diet is essentially "paleo." Not by an effort to fall under that label, just by design. I was a vegetarian for 3 years and am slowly growing back. I eat a lot of eggs, leafy greens, berries, nuts, seeds, onions, mushrooms, have a weekly beet and eat meat maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I usually eat no grains or legumes.

By his advice, I picked up so e organic steel cut oats. I had a cup. This may have been too much. My stomach hurt for a few hours, I was a bit sluggish and I had some gas.

Is there a perfect grain, pseudo grain, bean/lentil/legume that I could eat occasionally? Do you think if I eat the oats in a quantity maybe half or a third of that size, I will benefit more?

I used to eat quinoa fairly often, but,the same gentleman told me it had some brain effect if eaten on a regular basis.

This conversation started by me avoiding seeking advice for avoiding fatigue and feeling a need to rely on yerba mate at times. He said I was not getting enough carbohydrates. I thought I could get enough through fruits and veggies.

Edited by niveQ

IMO there is no such thing as perfect anything , excepting fulfilling that nutriment you might lack, your diet may indeed be very low in carb , I like black eyed peas which dont have the oligosaccharides of most beans and so isnt likely to cause gas. ( that WAS a big portion of oats though)

I was talking to a friend who is into Ayurveda and owns an Indian supermarket in Boulder. He said its important that I add carbohydrates to my diet. He recommended steel cut oats.

My diet is essentially "paleo." Not by an effort to fall under that label, just by design. I was a vegetarian for 3 years and am slowly growing back. I eat a lot of eggs, leafy greens, berries, nuts, seeds, onions, mushrooms, have a weekly beet and eat meat maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I usually eat no grains or legumes.

By his advice, I picked up so e organic steel cut oats. I had a cup. This may have been too much. My stomach hurt for a few hours, I was a bit sluggish and I had some gas.

Is there a perfect grain,

yes actually two. sesame seed and buckwheat.

Try slow cooking your oats overnight, and see how that is on your stomach.

...but on second thought, with the other things you're eating with the paleo diet (that are not easy for digestion), you should be able to handle it.

Edited by Aetherous

yes actually two. sesame seed and buckwheat.

Neither of them are grains, though. But quinoa isn't either. Not that it matters anyhow.

You could also try spelt, it's an archaic wheat and it hasn't been tampered with that much. The search for the perfect food could be never ending, you know.

I'd go with size as the problem. If you haven't had a major food group in a while starting with a big portion will often cause distress. I thought oats were less usually less offensive then wheat to most people.

I'll sometimes make oat meal in the morning, nuking it with water, almond butter, egg white and sweetener. Then add the yolk back when its almost done. Fast, tasty and you get a solid hit of protein.

• Like 2

Is there a perfect grain, pseudo grain, bean/lentil/legume that I could eat occasionally? Do you think if I eat the oats in a quantity maybe half or a third of that size, I will benefit more?

I used to eat quinoa fairly often, but,the same gentleman told me it had some brain effect if eaten on a regular basis.

This conversation started by me avoiding seeking advice for avoiding fatigue and feeling a need to rely on yerba mate at times. He said I was not getting enough carbohydrates. I thought I could get enough through fruits and veggies.

If you find out the metabolic pathway of wheat, you will never torture your body with it.

Avoid gluten/ grains

Quinoa is a seed and Buckwheat is a fruit (good)... much easier on human digestion

Yes the body neeeeds Carbs 100%%%% That is energy... the brain runs on sugars

Govs promote no carbs because people aren't able to think properly without them (no fuel for the brain/ running on empty)

See the BBC documentary Sugar vs Fat http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mpbt3_bbc-horizon-2014-sugar-v-fat-720p-hdtv-x264-aac-mvgroup-org_news

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

I'd go with size as the problem. If you haven't had a major food group in a while starting with a big portion will often cause distress. I thought oats were less usually less offensive then wheat to most people.

I'll sometimes make oat meal in the morning, nuking it with water, almond butter, egg white and sweetener. Then add the yolk back when its almost done. Fast, tasty and you get a solid hit of protein.

Stole that recipe.

Sounds delicious.

Cheers buddy.

:)

• Like 1

Try slow cooking your oats overnight, and see how that is on your stomach.

...but on second thought, with the other things you're eating with the paleo diet (that are not easy for digestion), you should be able to handle it.

soak overnight - cook in 5 minutes

In Ayurveda they recommend rice and mung beans (mung dal) in equal proportions with spices and vegetable oils (or ghee). This is called Ketchari, you can find many recipes on google/youtube.