Sign in to follow this  
nightswallow

New Member / Intro

Hello everyone! New member here, and looking forward to learning and sharing in this forum!

I've come across the Tao Bums in the past while doing internet searches in the areas of martial arts and Chinese philosophy, Today I was trying to find info on the relationship between the Five Chinese elements and the Eight Trigrams and here I was back at the Tao Bums! Figured perhaps it was time to join!

I'm a soon to be 66 year old, single male, live in the country, in Northern Indiana, with cats, dogs, chickens, and some peafowl. Been at the same place for over 40 years so have put roots down deep. Got into martial arts by accident, late in life ( age 49) and it has helped me greatly to learn more about the mind- body connection. Don't care to travel much anymore as the journey now feels more inward than outward! (Although I will always feel like I missed something if I don't make a trip to Tibet or Nepal!)

Now that I'm moving into old age and heading towards the "ultimate stiffness" of the body, i am less interested in the body and more in the mind and energy. Another way to say it is the soft speaks to me much more than the hard does!

Was reading a bit in the forums awhile ago about yin / yang, Personally, I have a fascination with picking them out in daily life. For me it has been a way to order this world of duality that we live in. I drive some of my good friends nuts with this, I must say! And I must constantly remind myself that they are both present, even though one may dominate at the moment.

The transition from hard to soft led me into Tai Chi and Qigong, and have been an instructor in the Cheng Man Ching (ZMQ37) short form style for the past few years. Am fascinated with neigong and learning more about internal energy.

I am also a serious follower of Franklin Merrell-Wolff, an American mystic, who led an amazing life and lived to ripe age of 98 or 99. Understanding the Eastern or Oriental mind can be so difficult, it's great to get a perspective from someone on the Western side! There is a great website out there, if you would like to learn more about him!

Life is good, and has become so much more full and rich for me as I've gotten older. My early life was too complex with all the ups and downs that go along with being young.

Anyhoo..... great to be on board with you all, I know the forum will be a great help on my personal journey and I look forward to making new friends along the way! I bow to ALL of you!

Hello, welcome and thank you for that interesting introduction.

Franklin Merrell-Wolff certainly sounds of great interest and hopefully you will be able to share his wisdom with us.

You are now free to post on the forum but for the first seven days you will be restricted to ten posts per day. Before getting started please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this welcome section and also take a look at the forum terms and rules http://thetaobums.co...um-terms-rules/ This covers all that you need be aware of when getting started.

Good luck and best wishes,

Chang and the Tao Bums Team

Thank you for the gracious welcome and kind words, Chang! I have a good feeling about being in this forum, there is something wonderful about being in the company of people who have a serious interest in what is close to your heart! We take a journey together and that is a great thing! :D

Sign in to follow this