Sign in to follow this  
MooNiNite

cultivation is a hell of a drug

anyone look back at how much their life has changed since they started this path?

Sometimes destroying inner blockages also means destroying outer blockages and everything that entails! haha.

Can't look back though gotta keep moving forward

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 2

This is on my mind quite frequently in the last year at least...

Lately I view any impulse, any condition, external or internal as a drug really.

Everything has a capacity to affect me. How is that different than what we call drugs?

Solid question mate... I've been chewing this bone to a stalemate for a while and loving it.

Cultivation is a drug indeed, in my experience.

• Like 1

LOVE the title of this thread!

While spiritual life is genuine (I guess I don't have to say that on this forum), it's also so inspirational on such a deep level ... tends to throw the rest of our lives out of kilter if we're not also disciplined and grounded in the value of other aspects of life. And yet a lot of external life naturally falls away. A process of sorting out, I guess.

Marsha Sinetar wrote a relevant book called Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics. She took it up as a study project and sought out & interviewed a number of people.

• Like 6

I wonder if people with addictive personalities might make the best cultivators?

If you're someone who gets 'hooked' on stuff then getting 'hooked' on cultivation is maybe a positive and one that, being an 'addict' you're likely to stick to.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

I saw a video interview of a lunar astronaut (obviously a highly talented, disciplined, accomplished fellow), I forget which one. On the way home (from the moon), he didn't have anything to do for a period of time so he just looked out the window. The craft was rotating slowly, 3 minutes for a full rotation, and he was just staring out the window at the starts etc ... and had a Oneness experience. Profoundly affected him and became a big part of his life there after.

• Like 5

I wonder if people with addictive personalities might make the best cultivators?

If you're someone who gets 'hooked' on stuff then getting 'hooked' on cultivation is maybe a positive and one that, being an 'addict' you're likely to stick to.

But that causes many to become very tunnel-visioned and narrow-minded.

Beware of the truth. It really does hurt sometimes.

• Like 4

There's always light at the end of every tunnel though.

Fair enough, it may be an oncoming train.

But nevertheless...

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

snippets

"Knowing the white, keep the black."

Tao (the absolute), te (virtue, action)

Personal virtue, on a broader basis creating supporting culture that more & more allows ... provides the conditions where benefit can occur.

• Like 2

Lol. Well at least the first couple posts were understandable. Still haven't figured out why many on this forum feel the need to talk in riddles. Anyhow, just wanted to say I agree w the op in that ime it does gain a type of momentum and become something to look forward to for sure:).

• Like 2

I think cultivation can be great for addicts but not because it's similar to the addictive process--just the opposite. Addiction is about running away from emotional pain and uncomfortable experience in general. Cultivation turns this whole process around running straight into reality even when it hurts.

Liminal

• Like 4

I have heard that long practice of Taiji leads to a permanent state similar to the one induced by LSD, but of course without undesired effects.

I agree that cultivation may take the place of drug consumption (including alcohol and tobacco, they are drugs, too) as I have heard of and observed cases where folks switched from one to the other. It may be the only feasible alternative for an addictive personality type.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 2

i think sometimes cultivators/meditators still hide and run away from reality. meditating can be ....

I think cultivation can be great for addicts but not because it's similar to the addictive process--just the opposite. Addiction is about running away from emotional pain and uncomfortable experience in general. Cultivation turns this whole process around running straight into reality even when it hurts.

i think sometimes cultivators/meditators still hide and run away from reality. meditating can be ....

I hope you don't expect me to disagree with you.

Yes, I am in it for the high.

It is not like addictive substances because it is not automatic. One has to be a good house keeper of the soul to have the experience. The best high happens when one is very clear headed, rested, flexible and strong, gentle and fierce, and not seeking or evading revenge.

But it is like an addiction when I spend too much time away and begin to Jones.

• Like 1

Liminal

Lol. It's funny.....just recently did a divination for some internal/magical work I need to in order to sort through some garbage. Divination said it was going to be a very mentally disturbing and unhinging experience....but one that is necessary for my growth.

Indeed....cultivation is one hell of a drug.....even as we burn in the fires of purification.....we jump out asking for the next round. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 3

Sign in to follow this