Sign in to follow this  
Tibetan_Ice

Robin Williams dead at 63

I didnt actually know him so my primary reaction is..What the heck was so bad that he felt he had to end now?

It doesnt feel like it makes sense to me.

Depression often doesn't make sense. Often it can't be reasoned out of. Its not as circumstance based as people assume. Sadly there are times its a brain imbalance some chemical or hormone that gets out of whack and its hellish. Othertimes there is a trigger for it and its everywhere.

• Like 3

I didnt actually know him so my primary reaction is..What the heck was so bad that he felt he had to end now?

I've heard that comedians often have a very rough inner life.

• Like 2

No one has ever made me laugh as hard about things that are so trivial than he did . He could come up with humor out of thin air and hand it to you in ways that would make you laugh so hard it would bring tears to your eyes. He is with all life again . He'll always have my admiration. I truly feel the pain from his loss : ( so long bro .

Edited by TaoMaster
  • Like 2

I don't often react to news of celebrity deaths but Robin Williams was a special person, one who I felt a connection to the first moment I saw him.

He was Garp

• Like 2

Depression often doesn't make sense. Often it can't be reasoned out of. Its not as circumstance based as people assume. Sadly there are times its a brain imbalance some chemical or hormone that gets out of whack and its hellish. Othertimes there is a trigger for it and its everywhere.

Yes. Though partly triggered by life events, mental illness isn't necessarily always causal, in fact, sort of by definition it isn't. Chemical imbalances, genetics leading to mixed up wiring in the brain, meaning that we can end up irrationally thinking/feeling negatively about many different things.

Also, because people are generally rational in all other regards apart from their specific issue, being ill can be infuriating and even more depressing; the better EXTERNAL state/position you're in (developed/safe country, good income, security, all material things you need) can end up making you feel even WORSE in your INTERNAL state/position, due to guilt that you "SHOULDN'T" feel this way.

Hearing from others constantly and even saying to yourself "It's not like you're a starving kid in Africa."

You feel guilty/stupid/pathetic/worthless (do these attributes ring any bells? Yes, they're facets of being depressed, which is part of how it self perpetuates) that you're so "lucky", you have all material/EXTERNAL things that you need, but you still feel like shit: "I SHOULDN'T feel like this! What's wrong with me? I'm pathetic, I've got all I need and I'm still depressed and there are others with so little and they seem happy."

These things highlight the power of the mind.

You can't buy your way out of mental illness. Yes, you can pay for the best therapists, or even medicate yourself up to your eyeballs, but, to actually recover (not cure, but recover) takes hard, gruelling work that you cannot pay anyone to do, you have to do it.

I've heard that comedians often have a very rough inner life.

And, yes. Many comedians suffer with one crippling mental illness or another (or some insecurity), often depression, leading to alcohol/substance abuse issues. Stephen Fry, Russel Brand, Jim Carrey, Ellen DeGeneres, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Pryor, and so on and so fourth.

• Like 2

RIP Robin. Supporter of human rights, animal rights, same-sex-marriage, mental-health advocate, vegan; you seemed like a genuinely nice guy, and one of a few actors who didn't succumb to fame based, narcissistic hollywood fuckery. Kudos to you.

• Like 2

I wonder what teacher planets could have provided, John Hopkins University has some studies with Psilocybin being very effective with PTSD and other

Iboga also very effective in breaking drug addictions

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 1

I wonder what teacher planets could have provided, John Hopkins University has some studies with Psilocybin being very effective with PTSD and other

Iboga also very effective in breaking drug addictions

Because this is a big topic ^ , I've started a new thread on it here responding to your post, to open up that topic and to stay on topic here. :)

http://thetaobums.com/topic/35946-psychedelics-for-health-and-healing-psychotherapy-and-shamanism/

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Good read. A lot of actors and actresses have said very kind things about Robin Williams. I think Norm MacDonald's tweets have been my favorite so far.

I actually cried a little bit yesterday while reading about him. I don't think I've ever been emotional about a celebrity death before, but Robin Williams was a big part of my childhood. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Hook, Aladdin, or Mrs. Doubtfire. I feel like an important part of my childhood has died.

Maybe that's an indication that I watched too much television as a kid, but it still makes me a little sad.

• Like 3

Yes. Though partly triggered by life events, mental illness isn't necessarily always causal, in fact, sort of by definition it isn't. Chemical imbalances, genetics leading to mixed up wiring in the brain, meaning that we can end up irrationally thinking/feeling negatively about many different things.

Also, because people are generally rational in all other regards apart from their specific issue, being ill can be infuriating and even more depressing; the better EXTERNAL state/position you're in (developed/safe country, good income, security, all material things you need) can end up making you feel even WORSE in your INTERNAL state/position, due to guilt that you "SHOULDN'T" feel this way.

Hearing from others constantly and even saying to yourself "It's not like you're a starving kid in Africa."

You feel guilty/stupid/pathetic/worthless (do these attributes ring any bells? Yes, they're facets of being depressed, which is part of how it self perpetuates) that you're so "lucky", you have all material/EXTERNAL things that you need, but you still feel like shit: "I SHOULDN'T feel like this! What's wrong with me? I'm pathetic, I've got all I need and I'm still depressed and there are others with so little and they seem happy."

These things highlight the power of the mind.

You can't buy your way out of mental illness. Yes, you can pay for the best therapists, or even medicate yourself up to your eyeballs, but, to actually recover (not cure, but recover) takes hard, gruelling work that you cannot pay anyone to do, you have to do it.

And, yes. Many comedians suffer with one crippling mental illness or another (or some insecurity), often depression, leading to alcohol/substance abuse issues. Stephen Fry, Russel Brand, Jim Carrey, Ellen DeGeneres, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Pryor, and so on and so fourth.

Very good post. Spot on :)

Sign in to follow this