Coaster

People who don't accept mainstream culture ?

A TheTaoBums member wrote:

They opened up my mind and made me realise there was more to life than the the orthodox homogeneous worldview that pervades mainstream society.

I find that when I associate with people who entirely accept mainstream culture - or what this poster calls "orthodox homogeneous worldview" - I have to carefully examine what I say.

This is because the functional definition of "crazy" is "holds viewpoints different than everyone else".

For example, if someone was walking down the street, and a person came up to them and said: "The sky is green and urine is falling from it", their reaction would be "this guy is crazy".

In a similar way, if I am at a party and someone asks "What exercise do you do?" and I reply "I stand perfectly still with my hands a foot apart from each other" (Zhan Zhuang), most people would think I was crazy. :mellow:

So, my question is:

How do you find other people who do not accept mainstream culture, for in-person social life ?

Obviously, there are classes and meetings of the groups represented in this Forum - Taoists, Buddhists, Vedantists, etc.

And there are New Age people - but I have just as many problems with their assumptions as with mainstream people - see relevant threads on this site for details. So I don't want to socialize with people whom I find to have an equal number of false casual beliefs as mainstream people.

I'm wondering if there are any others beyond those two groups ?

Edited by Coaster
  • Like 2

Attend or start a QiGong class.

If you build it, they will come.

:)

Thanks, but I clarified in the OP that the question is specifically what/who is there, outside of Eastern Spirituality groups and New Age ?

Thanks, but I clarified in the OP that the question is specifically what/who is there, outside of Eastern Spirituality groups and New Age ?

Conspiracy (investigation) groups/ forums

Maybe your local "WeAreChange" ?

A number of conspiracy people (for lack of a better term) question both the spiritual and physical reality (I'd say they are the same thing, as probably a number of them would too... (as the physical gov stuff can lead into the occult)

So say they would be for 9/11 truth (or at least question it and considered the numerous theories) and practice meditation /yoga whatever

Probably the most opened minded/ intelligent/ intuitive people I have interacted with (generally)

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 1

[ 'Unload' warning]

Ohh thats going to help.

Hard to answer ... we were in a western tradition mystery school ... but that wasnt immune to human failings ;)

What about getting involved with the indigenous ... sometimes they are the only people that seem immune (but I am selective with whom I associate ) ... not every one there is without problems. I find it the best on that level so far. The feeling of alienation is not there at all. I tried a 'deep thought' discussion group .... mmmehhh ... infused with new age and conspiracy theorists .... who declared on the first night we were not allowed to refer to her as a conspiracy theorist before she said any thing.

There are a few people on that Taobums forum that seem to understand we live in 'variant realities' that aren't wacko, Sometimes you can chat with them and relate (or maybe they are just humouring me ? )

... but then again ,

I am stranger in my own 'country'

cyclones and tornadoes

roar through the spaces

and rip up safe places

I thought I had found.

I pretty much hermit nowadays.

I had to venture into that world today ... the real fun part of it .... corporate meeting, court documents, chatting with a registra.

I must have said 3 different times ( when examining the validity of documents and seeing in detail how wrong and stupid they were)

" How did we ever get this far ... how did we even evolve to this level with people like this as 'normal' or 'in charge' or ....

:blink: :P:huh: :unsure: :wacko:

I will retreat back to my shell for a while ... and maybe soon take a little trip and sit in the dirt in a gunya and chat to someone who really knows what is going in .... in the real world ... not this ... thing ... we have created.

NO, I dont accept mainstreal culture ... I dont even accept 'alternative' culture.

... and your just worried about what people will think if you say you hold your hands apart ?

Just tell 'em its Tai Chi or Kung Fu ... they wont know.

• Like 2

Another thing would be confidence in what you are doing and when explaining it. If you don't believe in it (so to say) how are they going to... so if you are umming and arrrr ing aboout your practice it isn't going to be very convincing... not that you have to be convincing

• Like 1

To my way of thinking, the conspiracy theorists all accept mainstream culture.

We all grow up in mainstream culture as children, starting with the critical premise that adults are competent and know what they are doing. For example, when the parent tells us "Don't play in the street" and "Don't talk to strangers", it is a survival trait to believe them - otherwise we are soon run over by a car, or shipped off to another country as a child labor slave. Thus it is probably an instinct coded into our DNA.

As we get older, more and more we experience that people are actually not very competent at all. In fact, there are many systems that have been created to deal with people's incompetence (eg QA departments or slogans like "measure twice and cut once"), and even then you still hear about people who had the wrong leg amputated in surgery.

So, I find conspiracy theories silly because all of it requires super-competent people who don't exist. A lot of the New Age stuff is similar. Somehow everyone who hears voices is channeling super-competent Ascended Masters who are super-kind. Why do none of the New Age people end up contacting disembodied gangsters who just want to take advantage of you? (And could they tell the difference? Probably not.)

Edited by Coaster
  • Like 1

Don't you think the issue is not so much with New Age antics, but that mainstream people would actually fall for them? And the numbers are on the rise, as faith in mainstream religions begin to diminish. Perhaps the focus ought to be on the underlying causes why people get stuck on the level of incompetence, disillusionment and susceptibility in the first place. Then one might arrive at insight, and hopefully from that generate some wisdom and compassionate understanding. Wouldn't this be more helpful instead of directing what seems to be cynicism towards those whose practice does not align with yours?

• Like 1

I'm not trying to start another thread on New Age, there are plenty of those already.

My original question is simply:

Are there people (in the West) who don't accept mainstream culture, and are not New Age people nor followers of Eastern Religion?

Someone mentioned Conspiracy Theorists, which is one plausible answer. (I gave my personal take on that, but its still a plausible answer, thanks.)

Edited by Coaster

That must be really stressful always worrying about whether others think you are crazy or not, and changing your behavior to be socially acceptable and/or appear to fit in!

I have never found that much editing to be healthy. Just talk about what you wish to, and you will find that over time you will have a new group of friends with similar paths. If however you act like the mainstream, well you just aren't going to attract those who aren't.

• Like 2

That must be really stressful always worrying about whether others think you are crazy or not, and changing your behavior to be socially acceptable and/or appear to fit in!

I have never found that much editing to be healthy. Just talk about what you wish to, and you will find that over time you will have a new group of friends with similar paths. If however you act like the mainstream, well you just aren't going to attract those who aren't.

First off, I'm not worrying about being thought crazy, I just find that it is better to start off at the beginning with people who are "on the same wavelength".

Second, I'm not in college or a big corporation, so I am not constantly in social contact with a lot of people. So the idea "just be who you are and see what happens" doesn't work, because I have to seek out people to begin with.

Lastly, I am interested in this in a general sense - without reference to me personally - as to whether there are any "counter-culture" groups beside New Age and Eastern Spirituality.

First off, I'm not worrying about being thought crazy, I just find that it is better to start off at the beginning with people who are "on the same wavelength".

Second, I'm not in college or a big corporation, so I am not constantly in social contact with a lot of people. So the idea "just be who you are and see what happens" doesn't work, because I have to seek out people to begin with.

Lastly, I am interested in this in a general sense - without reference to me personally - as to whether there are any "counter-culture" groups beside New Age and Eastern Spirituality.

Are you like this in person too? Just curious ;).

I'm not trying to start another thread on New Age, there are plenty of those already.

My original question is simply:

Are there people (in the West) who don't accept mainstream culture, and are not New Age people nor followers of Eastern Religion?

Someone mentioned Conspiracy Theorists, which is one plausible answer. (I gave my personal take on that, but its still a plausible answer, thanks.)

I still think the indigenous , in many cases, might supply what you outline. You just have to find the ones that have been influenced the least by our culture and 'mind -set'.

Here, it is a very difficult adaptation for some to make ... even though they want to, have good intentions and might visit the welcoming indigenous, they still bring their programming with them when they visit (and I might add here that, considering what the previous interactions have been like and how welcoming and understanding these indigenous people can can be .... still they welcome them and still they are kind and patient and loving and understanding us ! ) .

The concept ( or lack of it ) of personal ownership is an interesting intersection ... very challenging for some.

'Hey guys, I'm going to 'Babylon' , anyone want any thing!"

"Sure Nungali ! The camp needs ............ and I want .... and ... needs ..... "

I trip to the equivalent of one's local store can be in excess of $100 easily.

I wouldnt dream of mentioning that to anyone there. I have seen .... work his arse of and scrape up $3000 to return home and distribute it out within 48 hours and be 'dead broke' ( but never poor ;) ).

So, one also has to consider . If I do meet people without this western, non 'eastern' non new age mentality (and by definition, also then, programming) ... what am I bringing to them ?

Edited by Nungali

How anti-mainstream do you want and why do you want to socialize with them? Do they have to be spiritual people- are agnostics, atheists or just not interested in religion okay? I would add some people in off grid movement, also Amish and Mennonite who are an original off grid movement (but very religious)and some denominations do socialize with outsiders. Yes, I have partied with Mennonites, not too wild, but the food was fabulous.

If you want people to do things with,that talk about things other than television and professional sports, then qigong or tai chi classes, a plot at community gardens, outdoor recreation association, volunteer groups, niche book stores or clubs could be ways to meet people who are a little off beat. If you are in early 20s, most of those people will probably be older than you though. If you want to find a mate or make intimate friends to talk about and shareyour feelings and beliefs that might be harder.

• Like 2

Its not just the 'spiritual' side. There are bikers, hikers, outdoor experts who don't go in for the spiritual labels but are definitely outside mainstream life.

• Like 2

There are lots of counter culture groups out there who aren't New Age or Eastern Spirituality.

Wolfie mentioned Conspiracy people a.k.a. 'Truthers'.

There are those Christian path counter-culture sects such as Hutterites, Amish, Mennonites and the Old Order Quakers for some examples.

Montana and Alaska also seem to be magnets for counter culture types, not necessarily ' New Age' or eastern spirituality.

There's plenty to choose amongst for anyone who wishes to step outside the mainstream.

Easiest way to go is probably the hermit route and all paths have hermits.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Its not just the 'spiritual' side. There are bikers, hikers, outdoor experts who don't go in for the spiritual labels but are definitely outside mainstream life.

Good call.

It's a matter of degree really.

We're veggies here and that's a 'bit' counter-culture in the UK.

Cycling from choice instead of using a car is another.

Thing is where do you draw the line?

People who might appear to be plain vanilla on casual acquaintance could well turn out to be pretty rad if only we got to know them better.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

"Are there people (in the West) who don't accept mainstream culture, and are not New Age people nor followers of Eastern Religion"

Of course , but since they arent neccesarily following a crowd , there wouldnt be a label to point them out as belonging to.

:)