• Virgo ~ Earth
    • Libra ~ Air
    • Scorpio ~ Water
    • Sagittarius ~ Fire
    • Capricorn ~ Earth
    • Aquarius ~ Air
    • Pisces ~ Water

Astrological Musings

Edit: Poll Added (Sun signs for fun, of it's own it doesn't say much, many other aspects to consider)

galaxy_pretty_cool-373652.jpg?i

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

Any seriously consider astrological compatibility with relationships?

Both at superficial (sun signs only) and complex levels (entire natal chart)?

/

Later to find out people you found attractive had good astrological compatibility? and same with the opposite

Well, I am Cancerian (supposedly) yet I look nothing like the girl in that picture ( Damn ! I should really give up that dream :( ) .

What would people here classify me as I wonder?

Cancer or Gemini ?

• Like 2

Well, I am Cancerian (supposedly) yet I look nothing like the girl in that picture ( Damn ! I should really give up that dream :( ) .

What would people here classify me as I wonder?

Cancer or Gemini ?

Ascendant?

This calls for a poll.

I don't know how to set one of those up.

Anybody?

Prediction....

Most on here will be 'water' signs.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I'm sagittarius. Nungali I see what you're implying with the cancer gemini thing (the sun was in front of ophiuchus when i was born).

• Like 2

Ooh! Mine GOTT! !

Someone who considers astronomy in the 'old' way ... the actual physical relationship between the planets and stars as viewed from earth !

Excuse me .... I am in astrological shock ... I need to go and sit down for a bit . (I have had the "best and most popular professional astrologer" / s in the world (according to them) affirm over and over that astrology "has noting to do with the stars, never did ... and never will have ! " ( yep, I am totally serious here ! ) so... sorry if I seem a bit sarcastic.

precessionGlobeDiagrm+Zodiac750pxl-36c.g

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Western Astrology is based on the equinoxes, just like Chinese Astrology - they both study the waxing and waning of Yang and Yin throughout the Solar Year. Only Western Astrology tends to work more from a perspective of what the planets are doing during the Solar Year, while Chinese Astrology more what the Qi is doing. It's very likely that Chinese Astrology goes much deeper into workings with the planets, but I haven't found anything very in-depth published in English.

Vedic Astrology on the other hand is based on the planets and the constellations, and keeps track of the procession of the equinoxes. There are fundamental differences, but I really don't know very much about it.

• Like 2

Any seriously consider astrological compatibility with relationships?

Both at superficial (sun signs only) and complex levels (entire natal chart)?

/

Later to find out people you found attractive had good astrological compatibility? and same with the opposite

Yep, I've studied in depth relationship chart comparisons. It is incredibly revealing. You can overlap the charts and see where the planet of one person is exactly in connection to a planet in the other person's chart - synastry. Or you can calculate the midpoint between person A's sun and person B's sun, then make a "composite" chart using the midpoint - for all the planets. This follows the principle of Qi - what is between two opposing forces - and can be read to see what dynamics are born when these two people act as one dynamic entity. Often certain planets and connections between planets of the composite chart resonate more with person A and other parts resonate more with person B. As they "condition" their relationship, they tend to take ownership in a way that resonates with these patterns.

However even a very beautiful synastry and composite chart with a person doesn't mean these two are destined. It depends on how evolved each person is. The tiniest little bit of challenging energy between two people can throw off amazing potential for connection if all they attach to is petty bickering over what is challenging. People need to work on themselves and understand that a relationship doesn't simply mean to lean on another person all the time.

But in the study of all this in my relationships, it hasn't really helped. Oh sure it's helped me understand myself better, but it hasn't helped the relationship. Just like dual cultivation of energy - both people need to be on the same page and committed to doing the work. With Astrology, one person tends to know a whole lot more than the other person, and it can easily lead to the other feeling judged. Or one person might read into the astrology a bit too much and see connections that might have potential, and project those onto the relationship rather than letting them be discovered mutually.

In the end knowledge gets in the way of true perception. If we're spending time studying how four planets might be aligning in the skies, and studying what others have interpreted about this alignment, this is the lens through which we will experience the alignment. I've completely stopped following everything but the phase of the moon and sun, to better help me directly feel when things are going on. And so that I can learn to navigate the personal challenges they represent more with my intuition, rather than intellectualizations. And I find that I definitely know what stuff is happening in the skies. It's when I feel the most pressured in my life to grow and move forward rather than giving up.

• Like 4

Yep, I've studied in depth relationship chart comparisons. It is incredibly revealing. You can overlap the charts and see where the planet of one person is exactly in connection to a planet in the other person's chart - synastry. Or you can calculate the midpoint between person A's sun and person B's sun, then make a "composite" chart using the midpoint - for all the planets. This follows the principle of Qi - what is between two opposing forces - and can be read to see what dynamics are born when these two people act as one dynamic entity. Often certain planets and connections between planets of the composite chart resonate more with person A and other parts resonate more with person B. As they "condition" their relationship, they tend to take ownership in a way that resonates with these patterns.

However even a very beautiful synastry and composite chart with a person doesn't mean these two are destined. It depends on how evolved each person is. The tiniest little bit of challenging energy between two people can throw off amazing potential for connection if all they attach to is petty bickering over what is challenging. People need to work on themselves and understand that a relationship doesn't simply mean to lean on another person all the time.

But in the study of all this in my relationships, it hasn't really helped. Oh sure it's helped me understand myself better, but it hasn't helped the relationship. Just like dual cultivation of energy - both people need to be on the same page and committed to doing the work. With Astrology, one person tends to know a whole lot more than the other person, and it can easily lead to the other feeling judged. Or one person might read into the astrology a bit too much and see connections that might have potential, and project those onto the relationship rather than letting them be discovered mutually.

In the end knowledge gets in the way of true perception. If we're spending time studying how four planets might be aligning in the skies, and studying what others have interpreted about this alignment, this is the lens through which we will experience the alignment. I've completely stopped following everything but the phase of the moon and sun, to better help me directly feel when things are going on. And so that I can learn to navigate the personal challenges they represent more with my intuition, rather than intellectualizations. And I find that I definitely know what stuff is happening in the skies. It's when I feel the most pressured in my life to grow and move forward rather than giving up.

Cool stuff :)

Western does go into planetary strengths and weakness, what planets are dominant etc like say ones Sun could be at 13% influence while Saturn is at 30%... + whether those aspects are malefic or benefic?

So Saturn for one person could be malefic and for another benefic

The Vedic can grade your planets into Sattvic, Rajasic, Tamasic

So there may be some compatibility but people can be at a higher or lower expressions of those influences

/

Little more info about the Vedic

Western astrology uses the Tropical Moving star system to draw up its charts. This is based on the movement of the equinoxes and the Western Tropical position is now approximately 24 degrees away from the Vedic Fixed star accurate position. The Western system is continuing to move away from the fixed (accurate) position of stars. This means that charts drawn up in the two systems vary by nearly 24 degrees at present and this gap is growing larger yearly. This means that someone with a Sun in the first half of Aries according to Western astrology has a Sun in Pisces in the Vedic system. This produces a totally different chart if this is applied to all points in the chart. The Vedic chart shows the accurate position of planets.

Taken from Stardust on the Spiritual Path. Yildiz Sethi

I haven't looked into it too deeply, though I found aspects of the Vedic to match better...

• Like 1

I guess some posts in this thread are touching on this. <maybe even answered it, but I need simpler terms.>

I assume early astrologers thought of the sky in according to the science of there day, ie a couple of spheres. The sun circled the earth in its sphere, so did the moon, the stars, planets etc.,

I believe that was the thinking for many ancient cultures and it makes a certain sense. Historically how did the shift to a sun based understanding of the world effect astrology? How has modern and historical astronomy effected astrological thinking?

inquiring libra

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

I've completely stopped following everything but the phase of the moon and sun, to better help me directly feel when things are going on. And so that I can learn to navigate the personal challenges they represent more with my intuition, rather than intellectualizations. And I find that I definitely know what stuff is happening in the skies. It's when I feel the most pressured in my life to grow and move forward rather than giving up.

Thats my starting point and main focus; the work of combining the Sun and Moon.

I do extend though ; I see a link through Mercury as he is in a triagular relationship around Moon , regulating Venus and Mars and extend up through Sun to the higher and transpersonal outer dynamics (to be brief).

For a while I looked at another concept; the Sun Moon Sphere ... that was interesting, especially in regard to relationships ... running off memory here, its hard to remember the concept visualisations ( records and books in storage) - anyway, from memory goes something like -

A system that is primarily based on the Sun Moon relationship but with earth as the 'psyche' focus ' (mechanically) . It is used to track influences in and out of the 'Sun Moon Sphere . From a geocentric viewpoint; as the Sun goes around the Earth it makes a circle and area of space, but then the planets go around the Sun in the normal way, so at times, this 'solar circle' around the earth always has the Moon in it, often Mercury in or out of it, the same with Venus, in or out of it together or not with Mercury and the same with Mars, but it is more rarely in the circle. The rest of the planets do not enter it.

I tracked it astro wise and also the changes on the physical plane - very interesting and lead me to decide it was best for me in a relationship to work the Mercury Venus polarity other than the Mars Venus. Tracking it often gave me a great heads up! Also knowing when to 'venture forth' or 'hermit out' .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Scorpio Sun, Mars, Mercury, Pluto & Lilith.

Aries Moon, Aquarius Rising.

As far as intensity goes, I'm likely fairly high up there for a lot of people. I have a 2nd stellium in Capricorn in the 12th house. I think everyone born in the few months around when I was have a Capricorn stellium...I remember reading that somewhere.

Scorpio is strange - being one actually seems to become really egotistical for a lot of people. Having such a strong Scorpio energy myself I can understand that, but on another level I don't really get it - it's just a star sign, right?

Love love love gajxhsbdismahycjsTHUNK.

• Like 1

Western astrology uses the Tropical Moving star system to draw up its charts. This is based on the movement of the equinoxes and the Western Tropical position is now approximately 24 degrees away from the Vedic Fixed star accurate position. The Western system is continuing to move away from the fixed (accurate) position of stars. This means that charts drawn up in the two systems vary by nearly 24 degrees at present and this gap is growing larger yearly. This means that someone with a Sun in the first half of Aries according to Western astrology has a Sun in Pisces in the Vedic system. This produces a totally different chart if this is applied to all points in the chart. The Vedic chart shows the accurate position of planets.

The above quote is rather bias to say the least. Originally I was going to quote from some of my earlier posts on the Tao Bums, but doing a little more online research I found this long, but well reasoned and informative article:

Vedic Astrology - critically examined

It is well worth the read and the author's astrological and academic credentials are above reproach:

Dieter Koch

Isn't Aquarius a water sign?

A closer examination might reveal some interesting traits.

Firstly one has to realise the degradation of astrological principles (okay then; the 'modern simplification' of Sun based astrology - developed by that Leo fellow ;) ) into what concepts now make up a 'sign'.

Again, cutting back through a wad of stuff , as I dont have the time for a full explanation (pages long it would be) lets look at some stars that make up significant portions of Aquarius constellation.

Situla, is a western star on the bucket of Aquarius. Situla is applied to this star from the classical Latin term for a Water-jar or bucket, the later Arabian word being the somewhat similar Satl, and the earlier Al Dalw. Gassendi, however, derived it from sitis, thirst, the Waterman's Urn having been figured by some as an Oven! (Hence the man cooking in a pot as described by the Vedic image ( - see below ).

Theon the Younger, father of the celebrated Hypatia of our 5th century, termed this star (Greek) Oinochoeia, the Outpouring of Wine, as if by Ganymede; and others, Greek Kalpe, and Urna, the southern edge of which, near the outflow, it marks.

[, 'Star Names' Their Lore and Meaning, Richard Hinckley Allen, 1889 ].

Situla is from Latin ‘bucket’; referring to an ancient decorated metal or pottery vessel shaped like a deep bucket, urn, or vase. (Encarta Dictionary). The word is related to German Seidel, 'mug, pint', a Romance loan word ultimately derived from Latin situla, 'bucket, urn', cognate with Lithuanian sietas, 'sieve', Middle Irish sithlad, 'the act of sifting'. [Klein, Etymological Dictionary].

There does not seem to be further significant stars in this decan of Aquarius, the ones there are not listed as having significant influence in the old astrology, however there is one on the same longitude outside of Aquarius (which can therefore give influence); Scheat.

According to Ptolemy Scheat is of the nature of Mars and Mercury; to Simmonite, of Saturn; to other authors, of Saturn and Mercury; and, to Alvidas, of Neptune in square to Saturn or Mars. It causes extreme misfortune, murder, suicide, and drowning. [Robson p.206.]

The third decan of Aquarius is related to the the Moon (in the 'Chaldean system of decanic attribution). It has some interesting imagery:

• Ibn Ezra: And angry and deceitful black man who has hair in his ear, and on him a crown from the leaves of a tree, and he turns from place to place. (unsure of direction ? )

• Picatrix: A man with his head shortened and who has an old woman with him. And this is a face of abundance, of the perfection of the will, and of insulting behaviour. ( I always found the Picatrix a bit 'obscure' )

• Agrippa: A black and angry man; and the signification of this is in expressing insolence, and imprudence. [Mehh , copying obscure Picatrix, as usual ( Ducks assorted missiles thrown by Agrippa fans :D ) ]

The Vedic image of the decan describes a dark man cooking up herbs and medicines in a pot, but he keeps continually changing the recipe. An image of the unfocused mind or plan of action ? Here it seems more in sync with Ibn Ezra ?

And also in sync with the associated Tarot card - 7 of swords

7-of-swords-thoth1.jpg

where the smaller planetary swords take over and change the operation. The negative qualities of the planets (aspects of doubting, uncontrolled 'mind') are intruding and disrupting the central sun sword, shown with a blade that is beginning to shatter.

A bit like the vedic image of the man that keeps changing the formula in the pot.

Essentially it seems to be about a quality of 'mind' or air.

• Like 2

Anyone ever tried breath work on the energy centers corresponding to the Chaldean Planetary Hours?

Almost don't want to mention it, given how powerful it is....

In essence each hour (by location) is governed by a particular astrological body, which corresponds with a particular energy center (chakra - not sure how it relates to dantiens yet...).

In a given energy center's planetary hour, any cultivation work performed on that center is greatly increased in intensity.

Be warned though, it can take you to the verge of "unlimited" power - and you can really damage yourself if you are not SUPER careful and minimal (and if you play with this - DO NOT work on higher centers until the lower ones are "asking" you to).

I won't give the actual formula I worked out - it would be reckless. :wacko:

But with a single breath I was able to cultivate enough "power" to spiritually project anywhere and anytime I wanted to instantly (in full visual clarity) - and even make it multiple locations simultaneously.

I'm just adding it here to make it very clear that "cultivation" is highly influenced by the energy bodies out there (if it wasn't already).

• Like 2

Anyone ever tried breath work on the energy centers corresponding to the Chaldean Planetary Hours?

Almost don't want to mention it, given how powerful it is....

In essence each hour (by location) is governed by a particular astrological body, which corresponds with a particular energy center (chakra - not sure how it relates to dantiens yet...).

In a given energy center's planetary hour, any cultivation work performed on that center is greatly increased in intensity.

Be warned though, it can take you to the verge of "unlimited" power - and you can really damage yourself if you are not SUPER careful and minimal (and if you play with this - DO NOT work on higher centers until the lower ones are "asking" you to).

I won't give the actual formula I worked out - it would be reckless. :wacko:

But with a single breath I was able to cultivate enough "power" to spiritually project anywhere and anytime I wanted to instantly (in full visual clarity) - and even make it multiple locations simultaneously.

I'm just adding it here to make it very clear that "cultivation" is highly influenced by the energy bodies out there (if it wasn't already).

:D

Hmm

awe_child.jpg

• Like 1