Sign in to follow this  
Nungali

Nungali Mountain

I often mention that there is a huge head of an aboriginal man (with dreads and beard) sticking out of the mountain top near me. I have compared it to Phantom Head - from the comics:

1834115-thephantomhead.jpg

No one, as yet, has seemed to be able to capture it in photo. I noticed today a new photo on google search is up (monochrome ... an old photo ? )

Thanks to Tim Aiken I can share this now.

Its quiet outstanding, and so is the mythology connected with it.

Imagine walking out into the yard of your little bush cabin and seeing this staring at you;

(This is taken from an angle further south than my place ... he looks straight up the valley here.)

http://www.timaickin.com.au/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=17115&g2_serialNumber=2

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Great imagination Y'all have there. I would never have seen a man's head in that scene.

I guess it works better in reality cos I can't see it either.

• Like 3

Cool! Took a moment to find it because it is "small" in that photo but it is pretty clear once located.

Grandfather Mountain is near me and it is famous for an "old man" profile staring at the sky but it was really named (by Daniel Boone) for another profile -- one of an Indian looking towards the distance .

• Like 1

Great imagination Y'all have there. I would never have seen a man's head in that scene.

really ! Its just below the highest peak and looking towards the left.

really ! Its just below the highest peak and looking towards the left.

Oh, sure, I did see it after you told me it was there. That doesn't count though. Hehehe. I never would have imagined it on my own.

My mom used to keep seeing Elvis in the clouds. I never saw him.

Curious that it works that way in photos as well. Here, some can see it very clear and others not at all. Two guys were here a while back, one nearly fell over (and was going on and on about how amazing it was, he never had seen anything like it before) and his mate was right next to him and couldnt see anything, even though he was pointing it out.

Skull cave at Tjabulum is like that . I was so blown out when I saw it. The Kooris were impressed that I could see it "What! Its so obvious!" 'Oh no, they said, its just us and you, people come here all the time and walk right past it and dont see anything.'

- "Bullshit,"

Next time I went there I went to have a look again and it looked totally different and not like a skull at all ... just some weird cave. ... <_<

In this case, I saw it and recognised it without prior knowledge, after I was told others saw it too I couldnt see it anymore. But that first time , it was soooo clear . But I was in a very different space then.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Yes.

Both. The hair and the beard are trees, the forehead and cheeks are rock with a bit of scrappy vegetation on them .

Anyone interested in geology ?

I've dabbled.

Shared a staffroom with a geologist once and went on a coupla field trips with him.

Fascinating area, makes you really stop and look at stuff.

I've no idea what I'm looking at rocks wise without an expert on hand though.

Thing is with your guy he'll possibly change according to how the vegetation grows or dies back.

Edited by GrandmasterP

He has been there in recognisable form for thousands of years.... according to the 'locals' .

I asked about the interest in geology as I was going to outline its formation - if anyone was interested.

I asked about the interest in geology as I was going to outline its formation - if anyone was interested.

I do watch those type of documentaries on TV when they show but I wouldn't ask you to go to the effort. (But if you do it I will look at it.)

I just watched a PBS four-part series "Australia's First 4 Billion Years". That was mostly geology.

First 4 billion! Well, thats certainly going to be mostly geology :D

I wish to lodge a protest !

All those nature shows and docos. they show so little of the geology and vegetation and soooo much animal stuff.

Well, I'm sick of it .... bleedin' animals'

Next time I see a fox digging out some little critter in an underground pen with some scrub as studio back drop .... I'll ....

'" Here we have one of the most unusual mountain ranges in South America the unusual and rare rock formations :)

" ... are used by a species of rock mountain rats who (although they look and behave like rats everywhere) ... have to beware of hunters on the prowl ... "

:angry:

Edited by Nungali

Do you like geology ?

Stones, rocks ... err ... scissors, paper ... yeah.

PS still can't see the figure on the mountain ... grrrrrr.

I'm interested in geology. Too bad I live in the Netherlands, the soil is pretty new, this county basically is an estuary of the Rhine, so a lot of clay and some soils from the ice age with rocks from Scandinavia brought here by the glaciers. Only in the southern most parts of Holland are some limestone rocks.

I'm interested in a lot of things, geology, paleontology, archeology, quantummechanics, astronomy. The universe is so enticing!

• Like 2

I wish to lodge a protest !

All those nature shows and docos. they show so little of the geology and vegetation and soooo much animal stuff.

Well, I'm sick of it .... bleedin' animals'

Next time I see a fox digging out some little critter in an underground pen with some scrub as studio back drop .... I'll ....

Protest noted and is now a matter of record.

I rarely watch those things anymore either. I know how a cat kills a rat. I don't need to be watching it happen over and over again. But there still are some good documentaries concentrating on the animal life and even when they do show a kill they leave that scene before it gets all bloody and gory.

There are so many other aspects of the animals' life that can be documented other than just the kill.

First 4 billion! Well, thats certainly going to be mostly geology :D

Yep. Some of the early life forms were discussed but that was mostly for the purpose of explaining how life moved from the oceans to the land. And what would a series like that be without a little discussion of the dinosaurs? So they talked about them too.

It really was a good, well-balanced series. Well worth watching.

Protest noted and is now a matter of record.

I rarely watch those things anymore either. I know how a cat kills a rat. I don't need to be watching it happen over and over again. But there still are some good documentaries concentrating on the animal life and even when they do show a kill they leave that scene before it gets all bloody and gory.

There are so many other aspects of the animals' life that can be documented other than just the kill.

Those Disney movies from the '60s & '70s were good that way. Stay away from reruns of Wild Kingdom, though...

Those Disney movies from the '60s & '70s were good that way. Stay away from reruns of Wild Kingdom, though...

Yeah, and NatGeoWild gets pretty gross too.

There was a docu on BBC TV yesterday evening with a guy journeying round the Tropic of Capricorn.

He was in Mozambique where the land mine clearing dudes use local giant rats to sniff out the mines.

When they find one they scratch above it but don't set it off.

Pretty tame rats those were and bleddy big.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this