Sign in to follow this  
4bsolute

Good method to relax stomach muscles completely, without weakening muscles and insides to drop down?

Due to weight lifting years back I still have quite some abs in the stomach region. Total artifacts you realize when you do Tai Chi, mostly without real use and tight very often.

What method do you use to relax this section of the body, in which you so easily feel your own mind's and your surrounding's tension (especially around noon)?

I have noticed that with completely relaxing, my stomach tends to hang out, which gives me the feedback of "better not do this, or your gut might loosen over time". Is this a known issue with "over-relaxing"?

I'm not sure the relaxation of abdominal muscles by itself should be a goal, Rather what they call 'loosening the waist'. Interestingly enough, I just recently started to feel this loosening while doing simple turns left-right with weight shifting from one leg to another. Tied to the abdominals is loosening of lower back and butts which brings the loosening to a deeper level. If I'm correct, then this is mentioned in the Taiji Classics as referred to as waist problems.

Bagua would be a powerful method to study loosening but at the same time a very risky one. One should have certain understanding of the body mechanics before even thinking of bagua.

• Like 1

This may not be what you're looking for, but when I was to breath deep, I put my attention under my belly. When I start breathing I feel my hip bones separating. Its a bit easier when lying down. The two sides of the hips separating out and once full my shoulders and top of chest expand and open up.

I have noticed that with completely relaxing, my stomach tends to hang out, which gives me the feedback of "better not do this, or your gut might loosen over time". Is this a known issue with "over-relaxing"?

Because society has been conditioned to unnaturally suck in and tense the stomach muscles. This causes unnatural breathing with the expansion of the in breath only happening in the chest and not the stomach.

Edited by idiot_stimpy

Thank you, I have just today discovered a very efficient way of Abdominal Breathing that works great for my Self:

Breath into your back / kidneys or into the sides of your waist. Forget breathing into the belly, since this happens automatically. If you focus breathing into the actual belly, you get a balloon-belly over time. And also doing so I have discovered that the natural exhale and stomach flatten will mostly not occur.

So breathing into both sides and back and the front (which happens automatically), right in a straight vertical line. Then breathe out in this line up or breath out and up into the spine which then will naturally lenghten it. If done correctly, you will feel a pleasant sensation when breathing out. A warm feeling that flows upward, a warm current.

Imagine a pyramid: Breathing in and down to create a foundation, breathing out and up to create the tip.

Edited by 4bsolute

Sign in to follow this