Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

What to do about degenerating vitality

Preface: Let's pretend I know nothing. (...and ain't that true)

Well, I am 38 years old and have lived a long and frazzled life. I am now at that 'feeling over the hill' point, or maybe the mid-life crisis thing, or you know... I think I might have exhausted my vitality and energy. I got derailed from my Taoist studies by life stuff, and cannot even say I know anything for sure.

I am wishing I was an empty vessel, but I cannot promise to be that yet.

I am sublimating jing through being relatively chaste, although I still play sexually..

Questions:

-Sex: Good or not good to ejaculate on some regular basis, or should one just go full bore sublimation? I am skilled enough at self-massage techniques to avoid congestion. I am awake enough to handle the excessive testosterone/dopamine effects to not mind the excess energy created from this practice without going over the top, or becoming an arrogant bastard.

-Sleep: It's hit or miss. I am tempted to follow my bodies desires when it wishes to sleep excessively or not, as I think this could be a natural way. My main question is this: Is it best to try to stick to some standard schedule, like 11pm-7am, or can one flex it? I have to get over Friday/Saturday night fever or else it just sets me up for variance....I have studied this before, and have my own opinion, but - what's yours?

This is a bit like you barfing and asking us to look at the pieces. (I have no idea where that came from but I am going with it).

At 38 stating that you have lived a long life feels like a bit of a stretch ( even for those of us that have been through many meat grinders).

Regarding the sex questions - I would suggest dissipating any reservations while dissipating any fixations.

Sleep is entirely dependent on your lifestyle/work/goals. It can be regulated or not. I have lived mostly unregulated but now with a wife and child I am regulated somewhat and it is helpful for some things. But unregulated did result in more long intense practice whereas regulated has resulted in more daily practice. Recommendations along this line are invariably from the standpoint of the person writing the response - my wife is an early bird - I would naturally sleep until about 2 in the afternoon ( though I am not sure if that would still hold true even if I was alone).

Under your name you state a small booklet of interests - did you have a goal? Looks like you enjoy movement.

Edit: and now the daily practice has resulted in intense continuous experience

Edited by Spotless

Having been a shift worker for thirty two years ( now retired I am pleased to say) I have no reservations in stating that being of regular habits regarding eating, sleeping etc is by far the best course to steer.

Sleep disruption wears one down and the tragedy is that we can get used to this state and do not realise that it can be improved.

I also cannot state that I know anything for sure but it is a safe bet to assume that regular sleep, good food, exercise and a generally healthy lifestyle will result in increased vitality.

It is also good to remember "Everything in moderation, Nothing in excess."

This is a bit like you barfing and asking us to look at the pieces. (I have no idea where that came from but I am going with it).

:) Like that.

At 38 stating that you have lived a long life feels like a bit of a stretch ( even for those of us that have been through many meat grinders).

I am worried that I have lost my vitality. I used to be able to stay up for days, naturally, have sex for hours, and exercise intensely for over 2 hours straight...now I am way backwards..

Regarding the sex questions - I would suggest dissipating any reservations while dissipating any fixations.

I have for the most part dissipated the fixations, whereas reservations are still strong...It is a matter of excessive sensitivity, and lack of doing sexual exercises....

Sleep is entirely dependent on your lifestyle/work/goals. It can be regulated or not. I have lived mostly unregulated but now with a wife and child I am regulated somewhat and it is helpful for some things. But unregulated did result in more long intense practice whereas regulated has resulted in more daily practice. Recommendations along this line are invariably from the standpoint of the person writing the response - my wife is an early bird - I would naturally sleep until about 2 in the afternoon ( though I am not sure if that would still hold true even if I was alone).

My lack of regular sleep (lifelong insomnia), makes me wonder if there is a better way than attempting to achieve conformity to schedules...however, it makes sense to achieve conformity to circadian rhythm cycles, but I am bipolar, and oft in a heightened state of fight or flight, & hypervigilant due to various reasons, as well as having allowed myself to 'mind dance' my whole life, which leads to many creative states of mentality, but also 'monkeys go buck wild.' Anyways, not that I can't help it, but, it will be some time...just seeing if anyone has any opinions to the contrary actually.

Will I flame bright and burn out young? It seems so...but can it be done to flame bright and live long? Odds aren't in my favor, but if anyone thinks they have the way to 'cheat,' let me know.

Herbs?

Chinese medicine...

I am looking for a 1% gain if nothing else...a little shred of something to add to counteract my own egotistic counter-nature tear-down-tendencies

Under your name you state a small booklet of interests - did you have a goal? Looks like you enjoy movement.

Dance/wushu - I like the art of movement and forms....not so much martial as I am artist of movement and cool body tricks...

• Like 1

You can look up "light therapy" to adjust your rhythms to specific schedules.

Regarding bi-polar and the effects , you may wish to try a vegan diet.

On many levels time is what will walk you through this period - a fast would be something I would do but for many this is beyond an option. Fasting allows for a recalibration to your natural physical/body settings and offers up a vacation from consumption - (my experiences with fasting have been 100% positive with no problematic adjustment periods but I did my research prior to starting. I have done both water and juice fasting and like both forms).

I say time will walk you through this period because at times the alchemy just needs time to bake so to speak. In the mean time adjusting to "nothing is wrong" can be a very very useful practice.

It is around 38 that our metabolism begins changing and adjusting to the changes is difficult (mainly because it creeps up on us over a couple of years and then some).

I could eat a horse and not gain weight until about this time.

Sex ran the monkey until I was in my 50s and I was very happy to see it dissipate - possibly by my own efforts - but what a relief it has been.

Movement was not my thing so I have no guidance there but I have found Qi Gong to be a great treasure and Raja Yoga was my initial Great teaching.

Edit: by movement I tend to think dance and large forms - Qi gong and Tai Chi and Yoga all have movement and I recommend all of them and can offer guidance in both Qi Gong and Yoga/meditation.

Edited by Spotless

You can look up "light therapy" to adjust your rhythms to specific schedules.

Regarding bi-polar and the effects , you may wish to try a vegan diet.

On many levels time is what will walk you through this period - a fast would be something I would do but for many this is beyond an option. Fasting allows for a recalibration to your natural physical/body settings and offers up a vacation from consumption - (my experiences with fasting have been 100% positive with no problematic adjustment periods but I did my research prior to starting. I have done both water and juice fasting and like both forms).

I say time will walk you through this period because at times the alchemy just needs time to bake so to speak. In the mean time adjusting to "nothing is wrong" can be a very very useful practice.

It is around 38 that our metabolism begins changing and adjusting to the changes is difficult (mainly because it creeps up on us over a couple of years and then some).

I could eat a horse and not gain weight until about this time.

Sex ran the monkey until I was in my 50s and I was very happy to see it dissipate - possibly by my own efforts - but what a relief it has been.

Movement was not my thing so I have no guidance there but I have found Qi Gong to be a great treasure and Raja Yoga was my initial Great teaching.

Edit: by movement I tend to think dance and large forms - Qi gong and Tai Chi and Yoga all have movement and I recommend all of them and can offer guidance in both Qi Gong and Yoga/meditation.

This is something I have been contemplating - thank you for re-affirming my desire to experience fasting as well as some type of liver/kidney/gallbladder detox/cleanse...it will take some research to determine the best way, and what herbs, supplements, minerals, etc. to take.

I am doing a blood panel and stuff soon....it will be interesting to compare before/after data.

I am at the stage now where I have gone around, seen the sights, seen what I might become, and decided to do it, yet I am feeling (perhaps in a hypochondriac way), that I might have missed the boat.

Common sense would say to try my best anyways, which I am/will do.

Really just wondering what experiences others have had with natural medicine, traditional medicine, Chinese, etc. that have made huge differences...anything stand out?

I am pursuing what I can in the way of Ayurveda, TCM, herbology, etc. I am as always a perpetual student.

Anyways, before I go too far with this thread, I must first list what I am doing currently so that others can get analytical on my methods and give constructive advice.

Don't waste too much effort until I build that ship in my PPF...it will contain more useful info

Sign in to follow this