Sign in to follow this  
Sebastian

Using Affirmations To Open Meridians ?

Hey Buddies,

At first glance, it seems like a sketchy thing to rely on, but I've seen some results with this. Do any of you use these kinds of affirmations with some results like : "all my meridians are open", "all channels are open" etc... Have any you want to share ?

Chunyi Lin was saying that when some sensitive people come see him and he just says "you are now healed, your channels are all open" maybe 30% of their meridians open then and there, without doing anything further. I'd have to check on that statistic again, but it was significant.

I was following one of his meditations online where he guides you through the body top to bottom and keeps repeating that every channel is open. I was surprised to get that ethereal / weightless feeling that comes after a really good qigong session.

I guess this shows that our mind is the most important factor regulating our energy body. That would explain why Zen people like Nan Huai Chin said not to rely only qigong to open meridians, but just emptiness of the mind. It looks like affirmations could also help in this regard. What do you think ?

Thanks

Sebby

The use of the word "affirmations" probably makes the skin crawl for about 50% of those just looking at the name of the post.

Affirmations brings to mind "self hypnosis" , airheads and "the Secret" and the ever popular "secrets of the wealthy", it somehow also brings to mind a sort of cheap man's prayers laced with willfulness.

On the other hand - if we can sidestep any negative patina it may be perceived to have and look at exactly what you are talking about in the original post, it is not a slimy process at all:

If you see something taking place in you and you come to understand that it will happen as you see it - it will happen - particularly on the subtle levels which are the easiest to work on in this way. It is actually like opening your hand or lifting your arm - you lift your arm and it is lifted. You open your meridians and they are open.

All quite simple - and it is just this simple - particularly if it becomes just like opening your hand.

However - the idea that opening all your meridians is a good thing is not usually true. It is no more true than to suddenly open up all of ones clogged arteries at once - the suddenly freed up chunks will now create strokes and probably death.

But - getting back to that dreadful word - affirmations - glorified forever on SNL in the Stewart Smally skit by the great Senator from Minnesota - Al Franken - "Daily Affirmations with Stewart Smally":

They work and eventually they are not "affirmations" as you learn that what you think is far more what you get than you ever realized. Hence the wisdom in the words "be careful what you wish for - you might just get it".

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

Hey Buddies,

At first glance, it seems like a sketchy thing to rely on, but I've seen some results with this. Do any of you use these kinds of affirmations with some results like : "all my meridians are open", "all channels are open" etc... Have any you want to share ?

Chunyi Lin was saying that when some sensitive people come see him and he just says "you are now healed, your channels are all open" maybe 30% of their meridians open then and there, without doing anything further. I'd have to check on that statistic again, but it was significant.

I was following one of his meditations online where he guides you through the body top to bottom and keeps repeating that every channel is open. I was surprised to get that ethereal / weightless feeling that comes after a really good qigong session.

I guess this shows that our mind is the most important factor regulating our energy body. That would explain why Zen people like Nan Huai Chin said not to rely only qigong to open meridians, but just emptiness of the mind. It looks like affirmations could also help in this regard. What do you think ?

Thanks

Sebby

Yes it is quite possible to do this. In the late 90s I worked out a technique which I have described here:

Regarding uses within Daoist Magic, years ago I took the material in Saso and Lagerway (a less well known academic authority on Daoist ritual who covers much the same ground) and let my fingers do the walking, creating a basis for Daoist ritual in which one has 'the whole world', if not exactly in one's hand, at least on one's fingers. While I was reading some of Jerry Alan Johnson's material years later, I was amused to discover that this is a Maoshan Thunder Magic technique.

and here:

Actually the nine stars, though the trigrams are an important aspect of the star's symbolism and also the twelve earthly branches. I used a description of a practice of Master Chuang in Saso's book and material from Lagerway's and came up with a ritual of my own which turns out to be a close relative of a Maoshan Thunder Magic technique Jerry Alan Johnson describes in Daoist Magical Incantations, Hand Seals, and Star Stepping on pgs. of 136-137 the 2006 edition and pgs. 268-269 of the 2012 final edition.

I adapted the material so that my version is close to, but not exactly the same as that given by Professor Johnson. I had a version for personal use and one that could be used for cleansing and exorcising people, places and things. I did a lot of creative adaptation of material from Saso, Lagerway and Livia Kohn. They seemed to work quite well.

The verbal style used far better described as an affirmation than anything else and I have no objections to using that word to describe it. It also uses traditional Daoist 'mudra' hand positions and other aspects of Daoist cosmology/anatomy, as well as the verbal part. I have never observed bad effects from using it on myself or others, who reported the experience as energizing to say the least, though they had enough experience and sensitivity to actually feel the effect.

I don't think that anyone starting out with this is likely to have problems because at first the effect will be slight and by the time they are advanced enough to have a strong effect, their previous efforts should have cleared things up enough that there should be no bad effect.

At the time I undertook this I already had decades of experience behind me, so my own good results may not be typical. When I was still teaching I used to use this to help my students. I have sometimes thought of offering it as a service to others, the one time I did do it long distance worked very well according to the person for whom I did it.

• Like 3

Probably it is because of the frequency of his vibration rather than the mind.

Consider getting a call from your grandma saying "all your channels are open".

Not the same effect.

• Like 1

Consider getting a call from your grandma saying "all your channels are open".

Not the same effect.

Actually a bad example, because my grandma is enlightened... hehe.

• Like 1

From Zhong......

"I don't think that anyone starting out with this is likely to have problems because at first the effect will be slight and by the time they are advanced enough to have a strong effect, their previous efforts should have cleared things up enough that there should be no bad effect."

I agree with this basically and almost said as much in my posting.

It is important to note however that all to frequently the idea of opening up all the chakras or opening up all the channels is somehow a good thing and it is not generally speaking true or healthy. So teaching it is inherently a signature of a teacher that can lead you down their path of ignorance.

It is also very assumptive - because it is entirely possible for someone to walk in off the street with very little or no experience in this and yet they may indeed be quite adept at this sort of thing.

If you are teaching this sort of visualization why not teach the people how to visualize correctly rather than visualize in extremes?

The primary reason is "ego satisfaction" and because you are selling something whether you know it or not.

Teaching to visualize in extremes gets a higher wow factor - more people say "I feel something" - it is also just one of the reasons so many people come and go.

In the visualization nothing is lost if instead of saying " imagine all your meridians opening up 100%" the voice said " imagine all of your meridians opening up to their fullest potential for you at this time". Postulate work such as this is the highest form of visualization. In this type of visualization or willing/knowing you encompass your real intention rather than being so specific that you omit the bigger picture. And it can be done well on the fly as you become very good at it.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

Very interesting Spotless...

However here, he's not referring to chakras or energy centers - he is talking about the 12 meridians most likely, and maybe the front and back channels.

Is there still a danger here ? Should we use your nuance when we self suggest this information ?

I appreciate it

Seb

Edited by Sebastian

Very interesting Spotless...

However here, he's not referring to chakras or energy centers - he is talking about the 12 meridians most likely, and maybe the front and back channels.

Is there still a danger here ? Should we use your nuance when we self suggest this information ?

I appreciate it

Seb

Thank you for reading my post rather than reading into my post. Since you asked about affirmations and not visualizations, I posted about a practice which involves ritual 'affirmations' and not visualizations. Nor are these explicitly 'self-suggestions', which if I were to use them would be in a nifty NLP inspired form such as 'I truly can see (visual), feel (kinesthetic), experience (summarizing principle sensory modalities) and believe (intention) that all my channels are open and qi flows smoothly through them'. The language is ritual language, which especially in Daoist ritual has a quality which is best characterized as 'affirmation' and a certain poetic allusiveness, which is completely lacking in a straight forward 'suggestion'. The notion involved in ritual speech is rather more the idea of the creative power of the word, then the idea of 'self-suggestion', though most people would be happy to reduce it to such. Their loss, not mine.

As you note the practice has nothing to do with the chakras, but deals with the channels/meridians, since you didn't ask about practices to open chakras, but about those related to the channels, I posted about a practice that relates to the channels, but deals with them in a wider context. Even the three dan, which are implicitly dealt with as part of the 'triple burner' channel, are not chakras in the commonly used sense of the word.

I have a technique for 'opening' the chakras, but that is not what I posted about. It doesn't involve visualization either, we're back to the creative power of the word again. I worked it out in the late 80s, its language is not Daoist and I wouldn't call the verbal formulae affirmations.

You asked about dangers, I dealt with that as much as I could. As to their benefit and purpose, that is too large a question to be dealt with here.

To address rainbowvein's suggestion:

Utilize visualizations to open your meridians? Consider utilizing your whole life to open your meridians. :)

(Long, perhaps demanding game plan, but with many potential upsides... :-) )

Consider the practice I have referred to, if practiced for oneself as like a visit to the gym, if done for another then like going to a physical therapist or masseuse, both can be part of a healthy lifestyle, the question is one of whether you integrate them or not.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this