Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

does anyone in here carry a kubotan or other weapon with them when out in public?

So as you know I practice martial arts. as do other people on this forum lol. anyways I was wondering does anyone carry a kubotan or other weapon with them when out in public in case stuff goes down?

I myself sometimes will carry a kubotan if I get an "itch" to carry one but generally I dont cause I never have used one and they just take up space in a pocket and such. Online I see alot of people talking about why they carry one or other weapons and Im like "thats great but how often have you needed that"

Anywho thoughts?

Nope. I've got a small pepper spray can somewhere in my car. I think it contains a little bit of paint too. If you're trained in its use the kubotan is great, but without long specific training its just a 6" stick. Not much range and people tend to over think such small weapons at the expense of full body movement. Imo you need repetitive training to make it worthwhile.

On the hand, I'm a firm believer in going with your gut instincts. When it says cross the street, cross it. If it says carry a kubotan, carry it.

Edited by thelerner

Nope. My intuition is pretty good regarding this and I just don't go to places where I would need a weapon.

I didn't even carry a weapon when I was driving taxi.

• Like 1

Only in the car, on the way to training. We had a guy that would do a Tai-chi session in another part of town before our saturday morning training by the river. His class finished as ours began and he would try not to be late by rushing. We would watch him rushing across the bridge carrying this big bag bristling with weapons , which were always half falling out, so he would be rushing and trying to deal with that, while we cat called and harassed him to go faster and not hold us up. Looked pretty funny (he must have enjoyed that as he ended up joining the army .

I remember one time at training these teenage hoons drove across the park tearing up the grass and did this giant slide and came to rest near us. I yelled at them that they were idiots and that people walking dogs and children use the park - without properly looking and being aware (of themselves or where they were or ... anything) two of them, probably feeling confident as there was a car full of them, jumped out to 'teach me a lesson' ... only to realise they just picked a fight after arriving amidst a fully armed martial arts weapons class mid training .

:D

Then they jumped back in the car and took off with a gang of weapon wielding dudes chasing them ... including Marga , who is about 6'2" brandishing sickles ... hilarious.

[ Dick head kids came back next saturday and mocked us from a distance, tore up the grass some more ... I pointed at them and told them I was going to get them ... next saturday I get there early ... all over our training spot has been torn up by tyre marks ... including a big sliding one that goes towards the river .... and the car is upside down in the river.

:D

:D :D:D :D:D

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

accompanied with lightening bolts that can shoot out of my hands. (duh)

Oh nooo ... dont get me wrong ... I am not claiming anything here .

It was just ..... a 'coincidence' .... purely a coincidence .

Would you like to see a coincidence MooNiNite ? :)

• Like 1

carrying weapons everywhere is for people who live in fear.

agreed I am reminded of the movie where Eddy Murphy was a holy man and he said that a person always was prepared cause they didn't feel secure. so they would always carry wet naps and other stuff cause of there own insecurities.

Also of the quote that i heard on a Buddhist thing once "we have within all we need and all we have to do is call it out"

carrying weapons everywhere is for people who live in fear.

Everywhere.. probably. Sometimes.. it may be appropriate. Listen to your gut. Listen when it tells you to cross the street or carry the proper tool.

In the real world shit happens, caution and a bit of fear are not faulty instincts. You don't want to encourage them, but you don't want to use high falutin philosophy to over ride your instincts and walk into trouble.

• Like 2

[ Dick head kids came back next saturday and mocked us from a distance, tore up the grass some more ... I pointed at them and told them I was going to get them ... next saturday I get there early ... all over our training spot has been torn up by tyre marks ... including a big sliding one that goes towards the river .... and the car is upside down in the river.

Haha! That's amazing! I kind of wish Marga would have gotten hold of them though. :)

I used to carry nunchucks in my car, not so much because I thought they would be good protection, but because they look pretty intimidating when you swing them around quickly. Of course the only times I got them out were to impress my friends.

I've managed to get through most of my adult life so far without needing to defend myself physically. Maybe when I'm an old man I'll start carrying one of the sword canes. That would be cool.

• Like 1

Half a brick in an old sock will seldom let one down in a brawl.

Bit heavy to carry around all the time though.

Running away really fast works well too.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

Haha! That's amazing! I kind of wish Marga would have gotten hold of them though. :)

Ooooo ! Dont go there. Another time, just two of us; me and Jewish friend ( ex-Israli Army and Krav - magra), a car drives over the bridge and screams out 'Poofters' and something about bashing us. I laughed and waved (I thought I probably knew them :D ) but Arvi starts going red and yells abuse and waves his kama at them.

Curious, I asked what he would have done if they came back. he said he would use the kama on them.

"Ummmm ... dude ! You cant attack people with weapons ... especially in public ... especially during a training session :D

[ By the way ... I 'got' those guys before the car went in the river ... while Marga was busy being angry and chasing them, I got their number plate ... and gave it to the local police station. They said thanks, they had been trying to catch the idiots destroying the grass in the park. ]

Best concealed weapon I have seen ; interior steel capped pointy toe moccasins :ph34r: - (not mine )

I used to carry nunchucks in my car, not so much because I thought they would be good protection, but because they look pretty intimidating when you swing them around quickly. Of course the only times I got them out were to impress my friends.

Even foamy chukkas are illegal here ... due to that intimidating twirly thing people do with them ... dont try that against a staff !

I've managed to get through most of my adult life so far without needing to defend myself physically. Maybe when I'm an old man I'll start carrying one of the sword canes. That would be cool.

I will go Jo ... Its the right size, very useful, can be used as a walking stick (I used one when my back was bad). , it doesnt have the handy handle ( :) ) like the walking stick, but that can get in the way at times, and with Jo you have extra distance. Also a walking stick ... you can get in anywhere with one.

I had to use crutches once as a public weapon. I had a broken ankle in plaster, out on the town in the middle of Kings Cross in Sydney ... I happened to just glance towards an extremely out of it, large, angry lesbian. She proceeded to lumber towards me "What are you fuckin lookin at!" I held the crutch up to fend her off and , fortunately, she grabbed it, so I did a bit of Aikido jo-jitsu and gently placed her on her bottom. [The other option was putting her in the fountain ... tempting but ... nah . ]

• Like 2

Half a brick in an old sock will seldom let one down in a brawl.

Bit heavy to carry around all the time though.

Running away really fast works well too.

Not to mention how uncomfortable it is inside the shoe ... and 'drawing' it takes ages !

- dont try to run away with it in-situ.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

I used to always carry an easily opened folding knife since I was 16 years old. It is a long story why I started then.

But then I was arrested for having it in NYC when I was 57 years old. It is long story explaining why I stopped. I will tell it some other day.

I did not realize how much I counted on it till was gone.

Now I am really dangerous.

• Like 1

My weapon is my mind. :ph34r:

thats the reason I love libraries and book stores so many weapons it hard to choose and I just spend hours and hours looking and drooling.

• Like 1

I currently don't carry weapons as a rule.

Well, except for my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator, of course.

...and a shoe.

• Like 1

Grrrrr.

I was going to say 'shoe'.

All hail the shoe of prophecy and power!

We once had a lad in A&E whose girlfriend had hit him over the head with one of her stiletto heeled shoes.

It was embedded.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Grrrrr.

I was going to say 'shoe'.

All hail the shoe of prophecy and power!

We once had a lad in A&E whose girlfriend had hit him over the head with one of her stiletto heeled shoes.

It was embedded.

My dad was a beat cop in Miami long ago and one night they stopped a guy staggering down the side of the road only to find a steak knife protruding from his forehead. He'd chosen (wisely) to not pull it out and instead was walking to the hospital.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I've got a dirty steak knife in my car right now (it's a long story involving an antique store, a Sourwood Festival (complete with sourwood honey!) and a loaf of fresh apple bread. The story, should it ever be told (and it shouldn't), should to be named "The Great Sourwood Massacre"TM (pronounced "Mass-a-cree (in honor of Alice (you remember Alice...))))

Edited by Brian
After-thought

I currently don't carry weapons as a rule.

Well, except for my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator, of course.

...and a shoe.

I have a friend he was a 400 pound high schooler who had special permition not to shower for 4 days before a wrestling match. anywho on the bus to the wrestling match some of the other kids on the bus were makiing fun of him so he took off his shoe and threw it at them. They about threw up and the coach told the kids to not make fun of him and the coach bought him a 15 dollar steak dinner to put his shoe back and to not take them off in the bus anymore.

You seldom see gloves in a car glove compartment. :)

I once read in a book that "in the future" cars will have toasters in the glove compartment.

I am more of a toaster strudel guy unless its an oreo pop tart.

Sign in to follow this