Goldleaf

how iportant is Feng Shui to health?

G'day,

I have been experiencing some not-nice draining sleeps lately. So after discussing with a good practioner of Chinese Medicine, was refered to his friend who is into the Art of Feng Shui. After I explained the position of my house and bedroom, he advised that my house is in the "K'un" direction, and the bedroom in my house could be draining my energy as I sleep. (For those interested, it is the room in the bottom middle sector of the "Kun" house).

But at the same time, and without meaning disrespect to Feng Shui, I am wary of commiting myself to believe in this totally since I already worry unnecessarily.

Unfrotunately it difficult for me to change my bedroom location right now. But for those who have some insight to share, I would like to humbly ask, if I do qigong is this enough to counteract the potentially "draining" effect? I read somewhere that if your energy field is strong enough it can in fact enhance the energy field of your environment! Does this mean I could change it to positive over time?

As I've said in a past post, I always seem to sleep better in other houses, so it could also be simply an allergy to something, but i've already done a lot of changes to coutneract that possibility.

Another way of asking is, have you ever tried Feng Shui yourself and found it enhanced your sleeping / life in some way, more than just the placebo effect?

Gl

• Like 1

In short, yes, I've dabbled but not knowing 100% what I was doing, from books, I decided to simplify. After asking a close friend who is more expert, he just told me to relax...because despite what I had read, from what he could see, I didn't need to change too much!

So keeping it simple, how clean and tidy is your place/room? That is the first point of call and ensure you have plenty of space around you. Keep curtains and doorways open when you can as well as a slightly open window to keep qi/air circulation. Also, if it is allergies (which I would suspect dust mites if there's areas that haven't been cleaned recently - behind cupboards?) then get scrubbing in those hard to reach areas!

RE your Qi Gong. I don't know...perhaps. The Buddha was out in a cave for a while, I guess he didn't have good Feng Shui but managed to keep on top of things ;)

Edited by Rara

I'd recommend traditional FengShui if you're going to implement some of these ancient principles.

I don't know much yet, but I'm enrolled at the American Fengshui Institute, which teaches a legitimate, bare bones, Fengshui.

Basically East West and 5 Elements Theory which are based on the I-Ching and central to Daoism as well.

They caution against popular (new age) Fengshui and always break problems down to the I-Ching and 5 elements.

I'm taking class 1 and it's solid as heck.... I can see it improving my health when I will know how to optimize chi flow in my house.

About the initial post:

You state you are in a Kun house, but what trigram are you ? That will determine the best orientation for your bed, and could over-ride the poor location of the bedroom, at least in part.

Edited by Sebastian

In short, yes, I've dabbled but not knowing 100% what I was doing, from books, I decided to simplify. After asking a close friend who is more expert, he just told me to relax...because despite what I had read, from what he could see, I didn't need to change too much!

So keeping it simple, how clean and tidy is your place/room? That is the first point of call and ensure you have plenty of space around you. Keep curtains and doorways open when you can as well as a slightly open window to keep qi/air circulation. Also, if it is allergies (which I would suspect dust mites if there's areas that haven't been cleaned recently - behind cupboards?) then get scrubbing in those hard to reach areas!

RE your Qi Gong. I don't know...perhaps. The Buddha was out in a cave for a while, I guess he didn't have good Feng Shui but managed to keep on top of things ;)

Great advice. Room is pretty cliean, but as its winter here in Australia, hard to keep the room very well ventilated at night, it gets to -2 Degrees Celcius!

As for Buddha, i'll try to be more like him from now on :P

You state you are in a Kun house, but what trigram are you ? That will determine the best orientation for your bed, and could over-ride the poor location of the bedroom, at least in part.

i'm not sure, i thought the direction a house faces was teh same as its trigram. In other words, a Kun trigram?

i'm using - http://www.fengshuitips.co.uk/sitting_and_facing.htm fofr reference.

Actually, just realised thaqt the facing direction might be the opposite direction of our front door, i.e, since the part of our house that faces the most "yang" is actually the back door (note: I live on a rural property).

***I also live in Australia, so was told to flip the compass directions***

So, to answer your question, I still don't know which trigram, but just realised the house is actually the opposite of Kun, i.e Gen.

gl

PM me your b-day, and I'll calculate your Trigram for you...

I'll then post here your top 4 directions for sleeping. Note that these will be for your type only, and independent of the House type. Of course the House type plays and where you are located in the house will also play, but you might be in the worst bed direction for your type without knowing it ! So wouldn't hurt.

Sebby

G'day,

I have been experiencing some not-nice draining sleeps lately. So after discussing with a good practioner of Chinese Medicine, was refered to his friend who is into the Art of Feng Shui. After I explained the position of my house and bedroom, he advised that my house is in the "K'un" direction, and the bedroom in my house could be draining my energy as I sleep. (For those interested, it is the room in the bottom middle sector of the "Kun" house).

Where is your front door direction wise.....??? What direction is the back of your house is facing.....??? If your house is a "K'un" house, then the back of the house should be facing North.

The bed room is in a bad location. According to Feng Shui terms, the middle is the "earth" sector and the "bottom" is below ground level which signifies a place for burial. Bottom + Earth is a burial place.

Let's wait til Sebastian's calculation in relation with your birthday. I'll tell you more.

Please don't pay much attention to what I say. I don't believe in Feng Shui anymore but it's fun to study it. ;)

Edited by ChiDragon

Where is your front door direction wise.....??? What direction is the back of your house is facing.....??? If your house is a "K'un" house, then the back of the house should be facing North.

The bed room is in a bad location. According to Feng Shui terms, the middle is the "earth" sector and the "bottom" is below ground level which signifies a place for burial. Bottom + Earth is a burial place.

Hi chidragon,

The front door is facing south (within 10Degrees). Back ot he house is facing North, within 10 Degrees.

So, since its not suitable for me to move rooms right now, I'll have to ignore what you say, like you suggested ;)

Hi sebby,

Thabnks for your offer, I have pmd you.

Edited by Goldleaf
  • Like 1

Make sure you don't have any electrical wires running under your bed or next to it

This can cause a disturbance.

Use your bed and bedroom only for sleeping at night. Don't watch television in bed.

Don't eat before you go to bed.

You might try meditating before going to bed

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Thanks, based on the birth information you gave me, you are a Kun trigram.

kun-gua.jpg

Here are your top 4 directions for your type (always sitting directions)

A: NE

B: W

C: NW

D: SW

(source, American Fengshui Institute trigram wheels, can't post for copyright reasons)

Here is what they loosely correspond too:

A: Best location for productivity (orient your desk based on this)

B: Best bedroom location for older people, seniors

C: Best direction for good health, healing disease

D: Best direction for a good night's sleep

You can view the front of your body as the facing direction, and the back the sitting for this.. So when you orient your chair / desk in the A direction, you place your back to NE for your type.

Sleeping:

For sleeping, directions A,B,C,D are all good, D is the absolute best.

However, sleeping in A might make you restless as you think too much about work, so B, C, and D would be better.

Also note that when you sleep, your head should point in the D direction.

You view it like this.... When you sit up in your bed, your back should be to the D direction. You are sleeping on your back, so imagine standing up in the bed, and then make sure your back is positioned properly.

The worst sleeping directions for you are (from worst to absolute worst)

E; East

F: South

G: South East

H: North

Hope this helps.

Hi Seb (posing as Butters!)

Thanks for looking up my trigram and supplying this informaiton, this is great.

So, this leads me woindering which is more important, the direction I am sleep8ing, or the position of my room?

In other words, as I said at the start, I doin't want to get into this too much or otherwise I will just worry even more and overthink my life. So to keep it simple...for example, I contact a hotel and want to book a room. Should I ask for a room in a particular part of the hotel (based on its direction), OR just forget about that and arrange the position of my bed?

Gl

Hey Buddy,

Great idea to keep it simple.

Hotels have complex architectures, I wouldn't ask for a particular room location unless there are obvious advantages (facing natural scenery, etc..). Just choose the size of room that you want and then use common sense Fengshui.

You don't want your feet pointing to the door entrance.

You don't want a big mirror staring at you during your sleep, you can cover it up with a towel.

Orient yourself in a direction that is good for your type. You can always switch the pillow location and just invert yourself in the bed which usually give you a least one decent sleeping direction.
My tip would be to do some physical activity before going to sleep, like a late evening walk. Keep your room well oxygenated and look at your thought process before going to bed. Stay a watcher and notice everything, I know nothing better than that to fall asleep.
Optional: Recite the Raccoon Mantra 108 times (PM for details).
EDIT: I'll research your question regarding which is most important, bedroom location or type, from my level 1 class material, and get back to you. Thanks.
Edited by Sebastian

Hi Seb (posing as Butters!)

Thanks for looking up my trigram and supplying this informaiton, this is great.

So, this leads me woindering which is more important, the direction I am sleep8ing, or the position of my room?

In other words, as I said at the start, I doin't want to get into this too much or otherwise I will just worry even more and overthink my life. So to keep it simple...for example, I contact a hotel and want to book a room. Should I ask for a room in a particular part of the hotel (based on its direction), OR just forget about that and arrange the position of my bed?

Gl

The location of the room is primary and the position of the bed is secondary. In other words, if you are not in the right room, then, arrange your bed in the right position to give you the benefit of the doubt. If none can be done, then just make yourself comfortable which is the main goal of Feng Shui.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1