Sign in to follow this  
Neophyte

My new Buddha statue

Hey, I recently purchased a large statue of the Buddha and have it on display in my upstairs living room. It provides a suitable place for meditating and practicing qigong.

I just wanted to post photos to share with y'all and to know what some of you think of it.

post-53545-0-11641000-1407090389_thumb.jpgpost-53545-0-92917800-1407090878_thumb.jpgpost-53545-0-70465000-1407090898_thumb.jpgpost-53545-0-40879000-1407090918_thumb.jpgpost-53545-0-40038500-1407090931_thumb.jpgpost-53545-0-86279000-1407090986_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A bowl of fresh fruit never goes amiss either.

Buddha statues like fresh fruit.

( You can eat it afterwards).

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

You have invited a Buddha from Thailand.... :)

Yep. I like the Thai Buddha. I purchased it at a store that had many different Buddha's on display, many of them were of Thai version. This one was my favourite. I don't really like the fat Buddha's, and I don't the origin of fat Buddha's or which depiction of the Buddha is supposed to be the most authentic, but this one was my favourite. The photos don't do it justice. I had to decrease the sizes of these photos to under 1 MB. In reality, it is impressive to behold: The gold is resplendent, shining brightly, and the gold-edged coffee table also is bright. I bought it on sale (original price about 100 dollars); it's heavy and good quality. If I could have uploaded the photos in their original 3 to 4 MB sizes, it would look more impressive.

A bowl of fresh fruit never goes amiss either.

Buddha statues like fresh fruit.

( You can eat it afterwards).

GrandmasterP: Thanks for the tip! But I don't know what you mean by this? Is it a tradition of put fresh fruit by the Buddha. I never heard of this. Could you elaborate?

He's left handed ( check out that cosmic mudra) and black.

Go figure.

GrandmasterP, I'm afraid I'm not well-versed in a lot of this. I don't know what you mean when you quipped, "Go figure". What are you deriving from the fact of his left-handed cosmic mudra, and being black? (If you don't mind answering.)

I see you haven't filled in your magical name on your GD water chalice yet ;).

BaguaKicksAss: I know I haven't filled out my magical name yet. Several years ago I dabbled in Majick. I created many of the magical implements (both of those chalices were made by me). However, I stopped practicing magic/majick for a few reasons. I may however get back into it because I recently made a friend who is getting involved in it, so he might draw me back into it. He wants to use my house to practice magic because his house precludes him from doing so, and I have a spare bedroom perfect for use.

--

And for anyone who wants to tell me more about my Buddha statue, please inform me. I admit that I don't know much about it, but if you guys can tell me the background, etc., or point me to resources to educated me on it, I'd appreciate it.

GrandmasterP, I'm afraid I'm not well-versed in a lot of this. I don't know what you mean when you quipped, "Go figure". What are you deriving from the fact of his left-handed cosmic mudra, and being black? (If you don't mind answering.)

Im gonna guess the big guy is poking some fun at societies penchant for depicting god figures as similar to themselves,, so it is a bit surprising to see something that doesnt show that trend. Depictions of Buddha vary from locale to locale as Im sure youve already noticed.

Though Im thinking the tradition said he had red curly hair and was left handed.

But the important thing is the dhamma , and not as much the particular representations emphasis.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Yep fresh fruit 'offerings' are a tradition in some places.

You can eat the fruit afterwards.

Some burn incense too.

Flowers never go amiss ( real ones).

It's up to you and that's a nice Buddha.

The cosmic mudra way his hands are held indicates left handedness and the black Buddha can imply impermanence or it may just be they made it black as a nice contrast to the gold robes.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Who is this Buddha? There are thousands of Buddhas. :)

Who do you want it to be......??? So, it shall be your Buddha. The statue is only an idol. The real Buddha is really in your heart.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this