Tao of Buttercup

Ebola coming to the USA

well, I'm sorry to have reacted the way I did but I found your post quite headless-chicken-reference-worthy. Do you understand that, if any of them ever actually make it to the west, the ebola patients will be heavily quarantined and under intense security? You have a far greater chance of being hit by lightning in your bathtub while posting to the Tao Bums on your tablet than you do of contracting ebola.

Your little jab at the filthy 'undocumented immigrants' together with your agreement with a disgusting sociopath like Donald Trump pretty much put the lid on it for me.

And I'm not sure where to go from here.

I didn't use the word "filthy." And undocumented immigrant is not a dishonorable reference.

Apparently you are quite arrogant and dislike Americans.

I've just now tried putting you on Ignore, but you're on the Moderation Team. So I'll just not read your replies anymore. :)

Where you can go from here is to also ignore me. Okay?

p.s.: My husband is Latino, as is my nephew (his father). So don't you dare go indirectly accusing me of anything.

Now don't bother with me again. You're a jerk.

Edited by Tao of Buttercup

Why should we have white people with malaria? Or ANY people with malaria? We should continue seeking eradication of these diseases for the benefit of all people - globally.

Exactly. Why should we? Why should "we" not take it seriously until it hits Europe? Good questions.

Point of reference -- finances are beginning to flow into serious research for a treatment (or total eradication of the disease) because weather conditions are becoming such that a return of malaria to the European continent seems likely. Why they waited till now ... well, no prize for guessing the answer to that one.

We (Australia) have an owner of a giant mining corporation who seems to be able to advise the government on unemployment measures and rights of payment of it ...

I heard that people that do recover from this ebola strain can remain infectious for weeks afterwards! URK!

I didn't use the word "filthy." And undocumented immigrant is not a dishonorable reference.

Apparently you are quite arrogant and dislike Americans.

I've just now tried putting you on Ignore, but you're on the Moderation Team. So I'll just not read your replies anymore. :)

Where you can go from here is to also ignore me. Okay?

no, you didn't use the word 'filthy' which is why it doesn't appear in quotation marks in my post. It was my word. But your words certainly implied that attitude.

I am American and last time I checked, not particularly self-loathing. And far from anti-American. I'm just anti-overreationary, if that's a word. I sense a lot of outside media influence in your reaction to the news that someone with ebola might appear on the US mainland. That was the focus of my first reply -- the media-driven panic.

You don't need to ignore me (and you'll read this reply regardless) as I'm generally quite agreeable and in fact admire your contributions to the community so far. Your comments in this specific thread got a rise out of me and reading back, I feel that my reaction thus far has been justified.

no, you didn't use the word 'filthy' which is why it doesn't appear in quotation marks in my post. It was my word. But your words certainly implied that attitude.

I am American and last time I checked, not particularly self-loathing. And far from anti-American. I'm just anti-overreationary, if that's a word. I sense a lot of outside media influence in your reaction to the news that someone with ebola might appear on the US mainland. That was the focus of my first reply -- the media-driven panic.

You don't need to ignore me (and you'll read this reply regardless) as I'm generally quite agreeable and in fact admire your contributions to the community so far. Your comments in this specific thread got a rise out of me and reading back, I feel that my reaction thus far has been justified.

Dude, read my p.s. in previous post: My husband is Latino. My nephew's father is Latino. I'm a Global Citizen.

Don't start with me.

A reference to diseases and unfortunate people afflicted with them doesn't imply they are "filthy." But there is a filthy person here - YOU.

You're arrogant, being insulting, and have no business being in Moderation at this board.

Get off your high horse.

Edited by Tao of Buttercup

Dude, read my p.s. in previous post: My husband is Latino. My nephew's father is Latino. I'm a Global Citizen.

then why in the world would you bring up a myth like you did previously???

and the winner is No One.

Lets keep it on track. I, personally, am against ebola. I understand its a controversial subject and would like to hear from the pro-ebola side.

kidding, but generally I don't like decisions made from a stance of fear. Ebola is frightening but the experts at the CDC are allowing travel, while deadly, with precautions its controllable. If the experts change there tune, I will too, but at this point in time, part of saving lives means getting people to the best hospitals available.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Saw the map of Africa with the purported ebola outbreak, alongside the map of Africa with Africa's largest oil and gas deposits. The two areas completely overlap. Yet another coincidence theory welcome.

• Like 3

I wonder if I can dig up an article I read earlier today. Bottomline it said that the ebola virus while nasty and very deadly is not very contagious.

Actually,...ebola is extremely contagious,...and these Christians should remain in Africa,...in fact, there should be a 3 week quarantine on all persons wanting to exit Africa.

One miniscule droplet from a sneeze, the slightest amount of sweat from a handshake, a service worker wiping a tear away and then coming in contact with you, etc....in ignorant America, where folks think it is a Badge of Honor to go to work sick, this virus will likely spread quickly.

In fact, I think more Christian missionary's should go to Africa. Let all go and accept Jesus’ litmus test for determining the true christian faithful, as published in the canonized text,…Mark 16:16-18. A true Christian, “the man who accepts baptism,…will be able to drink deadly poison without harm”.

Go to Africa Mr and Mrs Christian,...go mission to those with ebola,...and prove your faith. Your Bible says “prove all things” 1 Thess 5:21. So here's your opportunity. PROVE that you are not False Christians.

To protect oneself from ebola necessitates METICULOUS INFECTION CONTROL,...if it reached the streets of individualist America,...the death toll would likely be in the tens of thousands.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/health/2014/07/31/erin-foreman-ebola-patient-transport.cnn.html

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 3

My sincere apologies to Tao of Buttercup -- I clearly misunderstood your comment and should have held back with my replies. But, there's no way to undo what's been done and so I just hope you can put the incident behind you and you don't feel that one boneheaded member represents the entire TaoBums community. You've made many positive contributions to the forums in your short time here, and I'm certain that many people would be disappointed and miss you if you were to leave.

• Like 3

Saw the map of Africa with the purported ebola outbreak, alongside the map of Africa with Africa's largest oil and gas deposits. The two areas completely overlap. Yet another coincidence theory welcome.

% correlation with ukraine bombed out areas and frackable land? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Actually,...ebola is extremely contagious,...and these Christians should remain in Africa,...in fact, there should be a 3 week quarantine on all persons wanting to exit Africa.

One miniscule droplet from a sneeze, the slightest amount of sweat from a handshake, a service worker wiping a tear away and then coming in contact with you, etc....in ignorant America, where folks think it is a Badge of Honor to go to work sick, this virus will likely spread quickly.

In fact, I think more Christian missionary's should go to Africa. Let all go and accept Jesus’ litmus test for determining the true christian faithful, as published in the canonized text,…Mark 16:16-18. A true Christian, “the man who accepts baptism,…will be able to drink deadly poison without harm”.

Go to Africa Mr and Mrs Christian,...go mission to those with ebola,...and prove your faith. Your Bible says “prove all things” 1 Thess 5:21. So here's your opportunity. PROVE that you are not False Christians.

To protect oneself from ebola necessitates METICULOUS INFECTION CONTROL,...if it reached the streets of individualist America,...the death toll would likely be in the tens of thousands.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/health/2014/07/31/erin-foreman-ebola-patient-transport.cnn.html

While I'm no fan of missionaries, I don't think they should be killed off. Ebola has to be taken seriously but, I'm still perhaps naively trusting of the experts and CDC. I've seen too much overblown panic which tends to make things worse.

I quote: (oops deleted link)

"How contagious is Ebola?

National Geographic interviewed W. Ian Lipkin, an expert in viral diseases and the John Snow Professor of Epidemiology at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University. Lipkin said the virus is not highly transmissable, but the number of people who can be infected by one person is high.

"You have to come into very close contact with blood, organs, or bodily fluids of infected animals, including people," he said.

Professor Peter Piot, who discovered Ebola, said to The Telegraph that a sense of panic and lack of trust in the West African authorities contributed to the outbreak. Piot said he would not be concerned about being in close proximity of an infected individual.

"I wouldn't be worried to sit next to someone with Ebola virus on the Tube as long as they don't vomit on you or something," Piot said. "This is an infection that requires very close contact."

The World Health Organization confirms this, explaining that the disease is only obtainable through direct contact.

"
Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids. Burial ceremonies in which mourners have direct contact with the body of the deceased person can also play a role in the transmission of Ebola. Men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness.
"

Can Ebola spread to the U.S.?

CNN reports that the CDC emphasizes there is "no significant risk" of an Ebola outbreak in the United States. Kamiliny Kalahne, an epidemiologist with Doctors Without Borders, says there has never been a confirmed case of Ebola spreading to a developed country.

"This is because people generally transmit the infection when they are very sick, have a high fever and a lot of symptoms -- and in these situations, they don't travel," she said."

• Like 1

I am normally a very compassionate person, but I'm distressed at seeing news - early this morning - of two US Christian missionaries, stricken with Ebola in their work in West Africa, being flown home for treatment. :blink:

I am NOT supportive of this at all. We cannot risk an outbreak. Already Yahoo (news) is posting official Quarantine Center sites.

These two people will likely die anyway. And why should the general populace be put at risk?

It's enough that we're facing a recent wash of disease (scabies, hepatitis, etc.) from undocumented immigrants.

Our economy is still unstable besides. This just seems to be tossing fuel onto the fire.

Thoughts?

Welcome to your administratively moribund, cluelessly we-try-harder politically motivated nanny-state, dear Buttercup!❤

I wanna have the US be like Switzerland (for those whose ideal is a European style USA): everybody is required to be an expert marksman AND maintain and own firearms; their borders are sacrosanct in terms of citizenship and medical requirements. Qualified and productive non-citizen residents PAY more for utilities.

There are the Swiss-German, Swiss-Italian and Swiss-French bathrooms to consider… some in the same building…

Not to mention an abundance of glaciated mountains AND sexy swiss guides for mountain-travellers such as moi!!❤❤

• Like 2

CNN reports that the CDC emphasizes there is "no significant risk" of an Ebola outbreak in the United States. Kamiliny Kalahne, an epidemiologist with Doctors Without Borders, says there has never been a confirmed case of Ebola spreading to a developed country.

"This is because people generally transmit the infection when they are very sick, have a high fever and a lot of symptoms -- and in these situations, they don't travel," she said."

Seems to be much difference in news stories,...this CNN report says that WHO suggest the ebola thing could have 'catastrophic' consequences

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/01/health/ebola-outbreak-questions/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

To say that there is "no significant risk" is very irresponsible. Look at it this way,...it can take up to 3 weeks to show symptoms of ebola. So, lets say you're in West Africa, working on the oil fields, and have been infected by a bus driver on your way to the airport for a trip to Heathrow. On the plane you sneeze,...infecting the person next to you, and the 3 seated in front of you from the fluid you expressed. You ask for a water from the attendant, who also catches it from a mixture of condensation and sweat on the cup when she removes it. Ok,...counting you, there are now 6 infected people on the plane. Before it lands, you go in and out of a few low level fevers, the sweat of which is on a few seats as you made your way to the WC.

But hey,...if Professor Peter Piot, as you quoted, feels no need for meticulous infection control for personal safety while on a flight with people from the infected region, because in his mind there is "no significant risk," I hope his will is in order.

In finishing,...I like to add that my factual comments regarding Christianity could viewed as unnecessary,... however, having studied that meme for many years, I can say in all honesty that Christianity poses a significant risk to the spiritual evolution of humankind.

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 1

EVERY disaster, catastrophe, and emergency is profitable to someone.

Follow the money.

Economics is the science of convincing humans to imprison themselves within their own nation.

Disease is only profitable to this end.

Reuters reports that more than 100 healthcare workers are infected with the virus,...guess they didn't get the memo from the US that there is "no significant risk."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/01/us-health-ebola-healthworkers-idUSKBN0G14FR20140801

The point is healthcare workers (in Africa) aren't casual people. They work intimately with blood and bodily fluids. The article you quote goes on to say this:

Doctors turned patients have been a common feature of Ebola outbreaks since the virus was discovered in Democratic Republic of Congo in 1976 near the Ebola river. However, the infection rate typically tails off as doctors and health staff get used to strict procedures for handling patients, experts say.

But a second wave of Ebola infections in West Africa from late June caught many by surprise as the disease popped up in new areas after relatives took infected patients out of clinics rather than leave them in wards they feared were death traps."

With knowledge of what we're dealing with comes greater safety. Those working with deadly disease, especially in 3rd world situations are going to be at high risk. By painting Ebola as a doomsday disease there is the chance of unintended consequences and people who can safely get care and quarantine will run for the hills because of the fear factor being spread. That would be a bad thing. And that dynamic is already happening and making the situation worse in Africa. We don't want to create Typhoid Mary's of Ebola Ed's.

I think the front line doctors and nurses are heroic. In the case of those who are US citizens, if they can get better treatment here, we should bring them back. Take precautions ofcourse, imo they deserve our best.

I'll add this. Better to gain some expertise in quarantine and curing in a small controlled environment here then being caught by surprise when or if a case pops up here.

• Like 1

My reaction to hearing this news was that maybe "they" need samples for replication and weaponization, as well as an opportunity for studying the disease in vivo.

When the herd gets too big, pandemics will be a way to thin it out with plausible denial of foul play. The idea that it is going to happen inevitably has already been implanted over the past 30 years or so: swine flu, avian flu, SARS, etc.