Tao of Buttercup

Ebola coming to the USA

I am normally a very compassionate person, but I'm distressed at seeing news - early this morning - of two US Christian missionaries, stricken with Ebola in their work in West Africa, being flown home for treatment. :blink:

I am NOT supportive of this at all. We cannot risk an outbreak. Already Yahoo (news) is posting official Quarantine Center sites.

These two people will likely die anyway. And why should the general populace be put at risk?

It's enough that we're facing a recent wash of disease (scabies, hepatitis, etc.) from undocumented immigrants.

Our economy is still unstable besides. This just seems to be tossing fuel onto the fire.

Thoughts?

I wonder if I can dig up an article I read earlier today. Bottomline it said that the ebola virus while nasty and very deadly is not very contagious. Unless it mutates radically into a way that makes it easier to spread its doesn't pose a threat as a pandemic. We can't say the same thing about H1N1 and certain pneumonia strains.

So while there's things to worry about an ebola epidemic isn't one of them- at least according to an article presumably by someone with a background in viral epidemiology.

-Can't find the article. The articles I did find seemed to back up that the the nature of ebola makes it a regional threat to places with 3rd world conditions rather then a pandemic one. It deadly but the way it spreads doesn't make for high contagion rates. Bringing the 2 workers here should pose little risk.

• Like 1

It doesn't worry me.

Media extrapolates the fear angle on any story to ridiculous proportions to maximize affect. I find broadcast news to be laughable in terms of integrity of reporting news as facts any more. So much conjecture and opinion, it's staggering. Print news is controlled by the same machine, but with multiple sources I sometimes feel I get a better picture, but really, it's all so surreal, it reminds me of a paper I wrote in college on the prophetic nature of the movie Brazil...

some of the things I am concerned about: forgive me if this is hijacking... if so, I'll edit it at your request and start a new thread.

I'm far more concerned about the lack of awareness of the people driving cars weighing tons on the roads around me everyday. I live in Cali and it's staggering... applying makeup, reading the newspaper, texting is everywhere on the freeways, trimming nails, having sex

I'm concerned about the insane amounts of resources Americans spend on military engagement and medical costs vs the rest of the world. Spending astronomical amounts of money on violence as opposed to educating, feeding and investing in long term viable avenues of social growth. Medical costs so prohibitive, we have healthcare more akin to a second world nation than a world leader.

I'm concerned by the insane polarization that has been getting more extreme in America since 1998ish.

I'm concerned about the long term implications of the 'my team mentality' that is inlaid into the two party (cough) system.

bah, too many concerns... my reality right now is, I'm sitting here typing, my son is eating a great,healthy lunch and I'm about to clean the house kung fu style and then settle into some stillness...

I wouldn't worry about it though, the ebola... I'm pretty sure those bringing them over will be extremely responsible. The risk seems very minimal to me.

edit: grammar

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 4

yeah, unfortunately this one has been spreading faster and getting through what appear to be very thorough preventative measures.

why is this time different, where containment was always #1 strategy?

WHO lets the people get flown home, then WHO issues an alert saying watch out for ebola epidemic???

I dont even want to state that vector

• Like 2

until somebody i know gets it i refuse to believe its "coming to the usa"

god that movie scared the living shite out of me, i couldn't even make it all the way through

Yea, that one is in my list of films I'm glad I saw, but don't ever need to see again.

lest we not forget, obama recently re-signed and updated bush's detention act, whatever one that was....bush's mentioned SARS and Ebola....but the new one? A blanket statement on any sort of respiratory disease.

sounds like a pretty good way to gather up dissidents.

It does seem a bit daft to import someone known to have Ebola into the USA.

Better to treat them in Africa rather than adding to the risk of spreading the disease further.

Advice here so far is 'low to no risk to the UK '.

No travel warnings against visiting the affected areas so far either.

They are extra-screening air passengers arriving into UK airports from those parts.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Better to treat them in Africa rather than adding to the risk of spreading the disease further.

They are extra-screening air passengers arriving into UK airports from those parts.

My thoughts exactly.

There was an Ebola scare two (?) days ago, in an east-coast hospital. An entire ward closed off, all precautions in place, CDC notified; hospital staff were SCARED. Now granted, that person came to the hospital from "off the street"; no prewarning, etc.

But to NOW be reading this morning of plans to deliberately bring Ebola patients home??

I agree with Donald Trump. Why take ANY risk?? I'm sorry for the patients and their families, but why should other people risk exposure during the transport process and etc.?

Edited by Tao of Buttercup

There's an ebola patient coming to the University clinic in Hamburg and the reaction here so far has been .... uh, none to speak of, mainly because we don't have a Murdoch-fueled media system in place here and people in general are capable of more critical thought than the average headless chicken.

Calm down everyone, you're safe.

Also -- Donald Trump is a creepily creepy creep.

• Like 1

Odds are that anyone with Ebola is pretty much fecked anyhoo.

90% mortality apparently.

Those are not good odds.

Sounds harsh I know but keep 'em over there in Africa would be my preference.

Is Donald Trump the golf course guy?

Edited by GrandmasterP

Yea, when you put it that way, I do wonder... what is the benefit?

Is the level of, or access to care better, giving them a higher chance of recovery?

There's no system involving people that doesn't suffer from human error and no matter how secure these isolation hospitals are over here chances are, at some stage; someone will SNAFU and then the genie is out of the bottle.

It would be cheaper and safer to have an isolation facility over there in Africa.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Yea, when you put it that way, I do wonder... what is the benefit?

Is the level of, or access to care better, giving them a higher chance of recovery?

I believe the reason is that there aren't many hermetically sealed treatment centers in Sierra Leone:

http://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/hamburg/UKE-bereitet-sich-auf-Ebola-Patient-vor,uke398.html

It seems that the gentlemen who was scheduled to be flown to Hamburg is no longer able to travel.

Also -- Donald Trump is the egomaniacal opportunist who will say anything to get attention. He went so far as to pretend to run for the presidency of the USA in order to drum up some publicity. His specialty is incendiary twitter posts -- see above. He's also my home-boy; I've been to his tower many times for lunch.

• Like 1

Might be a good idea for all our relatively rich countries to club together and maybe build a super treatment and research facility over there in Sierra Leone.

Couldn't hurt.

Only time we hear about Ebola over here is when there's a potential threat to 'us' but the poor folks out there run the risk of catching it any time.

If some money was thrown at Ebola long term then maybe someone out there, given the resources; come up with a cure or at least some more-effective treatment.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

soaring crane, I am quite capable of rational thinking. I've also worked (clerical) in Western medicine for 23 years. And seldom pay attention to what Donald Trump has to say.

This isn't an issue to be brushed off. :)

Edited by Tao of Buttercup

Those bleddy jet fighter things whizz over us every now and again and frighten the hens.

" There goes our taxes." says I to Mrs GMP.

Grrrrrrrrr

:(

Edited by GrandmasterP

Why should we have white people with malaria? Or ANY people with malaria? We should continue seeking eradication of these diseases for the benefit of all people - globally.

• Like 1

Malaria ( locally called 'the ague') was a major killer around these parts of England right up to World War 2.

DDT spraying did for it in the main but there are still odd indigenous cases out in The Fens.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

soaring crane, I am quite capable of rational thinking. I've also worked (clerical) in Western medicine for 23 years. And seldom pay attention to what Donald Trump has to say.

This isn't an issue to be brushed off. :)

well, I'm sorry to have reacted the way I did but I found your post quite headless-chicken-reference-worthy. Do you understand that, if any of them ever actually make it to the west, the ebola patients will be heavily quarantined and under intense security? You have a far greater chance of being hit by lightning in your bathtub while posting to the Tao Bums on your tablet than you do of contracting ebola.

Your little jab at the filthy 'undocumented immigrants' together with your agreement with a disgusting sociopath like Donald Trump pretty much put the lid on it for me.

And I'm not sure where to go from here.

• Like 1